Ruger New Vaquero .45 colt

PDA
the dusty mallard
03-14-2011, 08:05 PM
Alright, I've observed these forums for some time and have yet to find a definite answer to my question; I plan to purchase the Ruger New Vaquero .45 colt with a 7.5" barrel. I've been wondering what store bought ammunition would serve my purposes best. I intent to carry the revolver with me on hikes/walks in the woods, for all intents and purposes of shooting larger game (by southeastern Ohio standards) if I happen to come across it. I'm aware that there are better guns for the job, but in my case with said gun, what brand or ammunition should I look out for? I'm talking deer, coyote, and turkey sized game here. Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger New Vaquero .45 colt" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
budroe
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Some of the cheapest ammo you can buy for your Vaquero is 250 grain RNFP Cowboy loads designed for SASS shooting. That load will handle any problem you will encounter in Ohio, or most any other place in the U.S.

deputy
03-14-2011, 08:51 PM
what store bought ammunition

http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1

different flavors for different needs........

one to do everything? perhaps this http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=45

255 gr at 1000fps......covers a lot of bases

though i would prefer hard cast.

the dusty mallard
03-14-2011, 09:54 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'm not planning on getting into reloading (at least not any time soon), and I knew that the New Vaqueros aren't as stout as their predecessors; but it's the gun I've basically always wanted (short of the real deal Colt), but I've also heard many attest to Ruger's overall dependability in action. Thanks again!

Stevejet
03-14-2011, 10:19 PM
W-W .45 Colt, 255 grain LRFP. 860 FPS, 410 Ft/lb. energy. Very "crisp" and powerful. W-W 225 grain HP Silvertip are also very effective and very, very accurate in my 7 1/2" bbl Colt SAA.

lookingforthewayback
03-15-2011, 09:30 PM
The Win Silvertip would do the job just fine. Federal Personal Defense ammo would also do the job, 225 Gr semi- wadcutter HP. There are several options from Corbon but they are all +P and I am not sure if your gun is rated for +P. They are also pretty expensive.

jimfox
03-15-2011, 10:36 PM
I'm with budroe - something close to the current standard factory load of a 255 gr. flat point lead round circa 800 fps (depending on load and barrel length). That should handle anything you'll find running loose in Ohio. Or Texas either.

cjm270
03-16-2011, 12:56 AM
Do they make a Vaquero in 7.5" ?

Stevejet
03-17-2011, 03:32 AM
Good question cjm270, and the answer is no, according to the catalog at Ruger.com. The longest barrel offered is the 5 1/2 inch.

dusty mallard - if you do get a New Vaquero you should look at the owners manual to see if they caution you about using "magnumized" factory or reload cartridges. The New Vaquero was redesigned to more approximate the Colt SAA in grip profile and dimensional scale. I've only examined the New Vaquero and the grip is fantastic and the cylinder is reduced in outside diameter which means it is no longer a Blackhawk cylinder which could withstand "magnumized" or very hot loadings of the cartridge.

Nevertheless, handloadings of 250/255 grain lead bullets can safely produce, in the New Vaquero, 900 to 1,000 FPS velocities in 5 1/2 inch barrels. That is more than adequate and is capable of knocking the resolve of critters, 2 and 4 legged, into the dirt and dragging it 10 feet!

GUNDOC454
03-17-2011, 10:58 PM
The new vaquero can handle any load you want to shoot. there is no problem with that gun handling high pressure. ruger doesn't make a weak revolver. the cowboy action loads are rather weak but will handle what your looking to do within range limitations. i'd prefer to use heavier lead cast bullet @ about 1000 fps, now that's the ticket..........:up::up::up::up:

hey budroe, that cowboy action stuff aint cheap out here!!!!

budroe
03-17-2011, 11:35 PM
John, is any other .45 Colt load cheaper for you than the cowboy load.

GUNDOC454
03-19-2011, 12:24 AM
you know i had to look the ammo prices because its been so long since i bought ammo. but the winchester supreme 225 gr. was cheaper than their cowboy loads. go figure!!!!!:up::up::up::up:

Stevejet
03-19-2011, 02:11 AM
Supply and demand. The SASS kidz can't shoot the terribly destructive stuff in their contests! Last time I saw some "Cowboy" Colt .45's they were $23.00 per box/50 and the price looked like it was about to have a spurt of growth.

Reloading is the only option for shooting say 200 rounds of Colt .45 per month, and the price of factory cast leads has doubled in less than a year.

rmc
03-23-2011, 11:49 PM
The New Vaquero in .45 Colt will handle 20,000 PSI ammo - not light but not heavy frame loads either.

Check this article about 285 grain bullets at up to 1100 fps in this middle range:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

StrawHat
03-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Any load that matches the black powder ballistics will be safe in your NV and handle anything we get in Ohio. I hunt with a Model P clone using black powder and 255 grain lead bullets. They work fine. And the 5 1/2" barrel meets the minimum barrel length in Ohio for a hunting revolver.

rmc
03-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Any load that matches the black powder ballistics will be safe in your NV and handle anything we get in Ohio. I hunt with a Model P clone using black powder and 255 grain lead bullets. They work fine. And the 5 1/2" barrel meets the minimum barrel length in Ohio for a hunting revolver.

...while a 250 gr. WFN at 900 fps (35 gr. Swiss FFFg) will indeed do the job, the USFA single actions and Ruger New Vaquero are capable of handling higher working pressures.

StrawHat
03-27-2011, 07:34 AM
...while a 250 gr. WFN at 900 fps (35 gr. Swiss FFFg) will indeed do the job, the USFA single actions and Ruger New Vaquero are capable of handling higher working pressures.

But what are the benefits of all the extra pressures? More recoil, more wear and tear on the shooter and the revolver, I'll pass. Once you get complete penetration of the game animal, I do not see the need for more pressure. If that is your game, enjoy it. I went that route years ago and practically wore out a 44 Magnum. Now, I enjoy shoting non magnums. Everyone should have the opportunity to go through there own "magnumitis", they should also know the alternatives.

rmc
03-27-2011, 10:20 AM
But what are the benefits of all the extra pressures? More recoil, more wear and tear on the shooter and the revolver, I'll pass. Once you get complete penetration of the game animal, I do not see the need for more pressure. If that is your game, enjoy it. I went that route years ago and practically wore out a 44 Magnum. Now, I enjoy shoting non magnums. Everyone should have the opportunity to go through there own "magnumitis", they should also know the alternatives.

...however, "...they should also know the alternatives" and that includes not only the ability of the New Vaquero to handle intermendiate loads (not magnums) but also that most factory ammo today often does not equal the performance levels of the .45 S&W - far below the .45 Colt of the black poweder era. (In real world revolvers - not the solid test barrel ballistics cited in ballistic charts)

For my approach to handgun hunting loads you may want to see my post on reloading the .357 with heavy WFN bullets at moderate velocities. The .357 magnum with " ...185gr. BTB FNGC bullet has the same meplate size as the original Keith 250 grain .44 special/magnum bullet (.28"). So if both bullets completely penetrate most game at 1100 fps, then both should have equal terminal effect!" http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101478

Handgun Hunting Loads: A Critical View by Marshal Stanton, is an illuminating article on the efficiency of WFN bullets at moderate velocities.
http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech_notes/index.htm

To answer the original poster's request for full power standard pressure loads, there are alternatives to the watered down ordinary factory loads see: http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=7

rmc
03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
The New Vaquero in .45 Colt will handle 20,000 PSI ammo - not light but not heavy frame loads either.

Check this article about 285 grain bullets at up to 1100 fps in this middle range:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL%20246partial.pdf

And velocities up to 1,000 fps with 14,000 psi loads in a 5.5" barrel.

pistola
03-27-2011, 01:12 PM
If it were me....I would buy a couple different brands in an appropriate wieght and bullet style for the critters in mind and see how (and where)they shoot.Since the Vaquero is a fixed sight gun,you will want a load that shoots close to the point of aim.;)

rmc
03-27-2011, 01:35 PM
...New Vaquero fixed sights:

http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/PDF/HL_234_preview.pdf

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger New Vaquero .45 colt" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!