Bob Milek - Forgotten Handgunning Guru

PDA
Stevejet
05-05-2011, 03:16 PM
Many of us who got into handgunning back in the 1960's and 70's cut our teeth on the writings of Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, George Nonte, Charles Askins and such. But the guy who really pioneered "modern handgun hunting" with the T/C Contender and revolvers, was influencial in development of the .30 and .357 Herrett cartridges (I belive these are them, correct me if wrong), gave due attention to hunting holsters and was just plain exceedingly knowledgeable about most all handguns and reloading of them was Bob Milek. He was a fan of most everything "handgun" and his reloading developments were always interesting to read.

Bob died in 1993 in his 50's and he just isn't written about or mentioned hardly at all, which is strange for a man who was such a knowledgeable and prolific writer.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bob Milek - Forgotten Handgunning Guru" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Dframe
05-05-2011, 04:00 PM
I'm a little surprised at how little mention he gets as well.

budroe
05-05-2011, 06:39 PM
The Missus and I drove from Texas to Wyoming in 1976 on our first real vacation together. Among the wonderful times we had there was, we arrived in Cody on the 3rd of July (our first anniversary) and spent an hour talking with John Wayne. He was sitting alone in the museum drinking coffee when we walked in, and invited us to join him. Mr. Wayne was there to dedicate the Winchester Arms collection to the Buffalo Bill Museum. He was amazingly nice to us, only took me 30 minutes or so to quit stuttering while talking to him. He knew his guns, too!! Another highlight was driving through Thermopolis, Wy. and stopping in a cafe for lunch. We walked in the door right behind Bob Milek; I recognized him from his G&A byline photo. Place was pretty empty, and we spent a wonderful hour (well at least to me) talking with him about hunting in Wyoming and guns in general - I imagine the wife was pretty bored, but as always she was a good sport about it all. He was an excellent writer and probably knew as much about big game hunting as anyone I've ever talked to. He definitely passed on way too young. Back in those days when I got a "Guns and Ammo" magazine, the first thing I'd read was the editorial by Elmer Keith; then I'd go straight to the article by Bob Milek. Difference between the guys you mentioned and the writers around today - those old guys had really been out there and "seen the elephant". They really knew the guns they wrote about, and knew how to use them. I still look at a gun mag occasionally, but there are no writers out there that impress me the way Milek and the others did back in the day.

gmcfixer
05-05-2011, 07:02 PM
I can remember running across an article or two with his name on them. And Budroe you are dead on the money about the writters today, I remember a guy that wrote for a magazine back in the early 90s Wayne something or other ... he was at Ben Jone's place in Ruskin and was going to test one of Ben's custom 1911s for an article he was doing for Front Sight magazine (you would have to shoot USPSA to know the magazine.) He walked out back where the range was, set a target on the ground and stood on a 5 gallon paint bucket and put 5 shoots in the target. He picked up the target and said "that looks like a good 25 yard group" and went back inside. After that I never trusted much of anything in print in the gun rags, I consider myself fairly intelligent and able to use common sense. If that dog don't hunt, don't take him hunting! I'd like to say I think I remember a few others that had good things to say when they wrote ... Skelton (don't remember the first name), John Taffen and J.D. Jones (of SSK Industries.)There was a fellow in the early 90s that when it came to writing for the IPSC crowd was top notch and knew his business, named Dave Anderson, he also could tell a good story as well without filling it with BS. You could tell it was a been there story and not made up garbage.

Dave Z

Dr Dave
05-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Skelton had to be Skeeter or his son Bart, didn't it?

Stevejet
05-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I always read Milek's articles even if I was not at all interested in those involving his pioneering the practice of mounting scopes on handguns for his hunting and ranging activities. I was just too busy getting into handguns of the Colt and Ruger single action types and reloading for them. The T/C type firearms never ever interested me, but Milek's writings always won me over to at least reading about them, the Herrett cartridges he used and at times marveling at the accuracies he achieved at the ranges he shot at.

gmcfixer - the fellow named Wayne would not have been Wayne von Zwoll (?). von Zwoll is, I believe, primarily a rifle, cartridge and hunting writer who is recognized as knowing his "stuff".

gmcfixer
05-06-2011, 04:13 AM
gmcfixer - the fellow named Wayne would not have been Wayne von Zwoll (?). von Zwoll is, I believe, primarily a rifle, cartridge and hunting writer who is recognized as knowing his "stuff".

No that wasn't it, it was not a common name and it began with a "B"

Dave Z

budroe
05-06-2011, 11:45 AM
"Skeeter" Skelton was my favorite gun writer by far. He always got the information out, but did it in the manner of a friend telling a story to his best bud!!

Machinist
05-06-2011, 02:42 PM
"Skeeter" Skelton was my favorite gun writer by far. He always got the information out, but did it in the manner of a friend telling a story to his best bud!!

He and George Nonte were great, both knowledgeable and fun. I miss them both.

Dframe
05-06-2011, 05:21 PM
I always admired those old writers. I had the good fortune to meet my personal favorite Maj. George Nonte once. That moustache of his was unmistakable. I'm sure I probably blubbered a little but he was very nice to me and my wife.

oldtimer
05-08-2011, 05:56 AM
I have pretty much given up on gun mags. They are like infomercials, as opposed to Milek and the other writers mentioned. They looked on the gun as part of a whole, not at the main thing. I don't understand how one would write an article without running several hundred rounds through a gun. Studies that have done that have shown that guns settle in, develop their highest level of performance, and then may start declining over a few hundred to several thousand rounds.

Frank V
05-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Sometime check out the writings of Bryan Pierce, John Taffin, & Mike Venturino.
They are pretty good handgun authors.:up:
Frank

caneman
05-26-2011, 02:47 PM
My favorites from back yonder were Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan. A youngster named Thell Reed came along and I enjoyed some of his output. Thell wasn't a big contributor in the written word but I enjoyed his writing.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bob Milek - Forgotten Handgunning Guru" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!