S&W Model 386 PD Airlite SC

PDA
usnavymasterchief
01-05-2003, 12:16 PM
I am about to lay out almost 700 bucks for a new S&W Model 386PD Airlite SC in .357 cal. I presently own several Glocks and an older Taurus revo Model 605 (357 w/2.5" bbl) with Wolff springs installed which makes for a far smoother trigger than OEM springs. The more I read about revos, the more interested I become in them. I know nothing about the S&W 386 other than I really like the way it looks and feels also the fact that it is chambered for 7 rounds. Before I put my Glock G27 up for sale, If anyone would care to expound, either pro or con, on this particular piece, this old sailor would really appreciate it. I think the revo thing, to me, is more nostalgia than anything else. I carried the standard Navy Aircrew issue old beat up Smithy .38 cal 4"barrel( can't remember the model) in a tanker holster all through my two helicopter tours in V-Nam. This was standard issue because we all had .38 cal flares (useless as they were)which we were to fire if we went in, thank God I never did. Like most of the other guys, I managed to com-shaw an old 1911 model .45 from the Marines,( God Bless The USMC we all owe alot to those guys) I think mine was made by the Singer sewing machine company back in WW2. Anyway the .45 was worn on a gun belt hanging around my hips, the .50 cal's hanging in both doors of my Huey were my favorite carry pieces (LOL). Time to quit thinking about the old days and get back to today, any info on the S&W 386 would be very helpful.
Thanks very much, MCPO John,USN RET

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 386 PD Airlite SC" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
smith10
01-07-2003, 09:48 PM
Hey Chief
First off thanks for your service to our great Nation.Second my thoughts on the scandium smiths.I too am taken by the seven shot L frame scandiums,although i prefer the 3 " mountain lite version myself.I have fired a few rounds thru the 386 and am impressed.The recoil is stout but not as unpleasant as the j frame scandium magnums.The trigger could be smoother but was not bad at all.The weight is the upside and downside to these guns,at 16.5 ozs they are a forget you are carrying gun.But not a gun to put hundreds of full 357s out of.Also gonna have to stay away from lead bullets in magnum as they can be pulled under recoil and tie up the gun.To sum up I'll say this,If I was gonna carry a revolver,this would be it.Shoot one first if you possibly can.HTH Smith 10

Ala Dan
01-10-2003, 12:32 AM
Greeting's Master Chief-

I too have been considering a new Smith & Wesson
scandium revolver. As a matter of fact, I have narrowed
my choices down to the 360Sc PD; or the 386Sc PD. I
don't know how these would hold up to continued use
with the 125 grain JHP .357 magnum load's? Everything
I have read states that the Sc's are as tough as nail's!
Now, I just need to find a means to fund this project.

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

usnavymasterchief
01-11-2003, 12:14 PM
Well I found a 386 in a local gunshop and quite frankly I was disappointed by the size of the gun, IMHO it's too big to comfortably conceal. SOOOOO, I bought a 360PD. It looked great in it's red velvet case at the dealers but after I had it for a couple of days and took it too the range, I'm not at all sold on the black PD finish for two reasons. 1. It shows every little oil smear and finger print. 2. It scratches easily and scratches really stand out on a black finish. If I had it all to do over again, I would have bought the matte stainless model. Just thought I'd share my experience. MCPO John, USN RET

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W Model 386 PD Airlite SC" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!