Here's hoping that the 3" Taurus Model 74 is...

PDA
gunfan
01-23-2012, 12:31 AM
as good as it looks! the 3" nickel-plated darling just looks SEXY! If it handles(and shoots) anything like she looks, it should be a WINNER!

Does anyone have any experience with the earlier Taurus line? From what I can see, I think that I'm getting an EXCELLENT specimen. (I am so excited!)

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's hoping that the 3" Taurus Model 74 is..." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
KathleenElsie
01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Pictures please

gunfan
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
I'll look online for a picture and see if I can share it.

Scott

gunfan
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Here is a link to the revolver:

http://www.jacksonarmory.com/ja/handgunsDetail.php?mainID=9573

bluedlightning
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Pictures please
What she said. :D

gunfan
01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
What she said. :D

Did you not open the link? There are several pictures of the revolver to be seen.

Scott

gunfan
01-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Here's a link to the Gunbroker Auction (before I ended it with a phone call and bought it for $175.00.) :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=269144857

Scott

gunfan
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Here's some data I had posted on the S&W Forum years ago. I hope that some of the Forum may find it of interest.:

32 S&W and .32 S&W Long... by Scott aka GunFan
The little .32 S&W (Short) has some interesting ballistics from a 3 1/2" barrel. 88-grain Remington-Peters factory fodder runs about 657 fps. 85-grain Winchester-Western runs about 679 from the same tube. Energies produced are about 84-1/3 fpe and 60-2/3 fpe respectively. Place this energy on a .311"-.314" diameter bullet, and - Plunk! These should stop either an enraged field mouse or put "the hurts" on most garden pests without threatening to put a hole in the neighbor's house! Moles, ground hogs and other aberrant vermin, beware! No matter what anyone says, these little loads beat the daylights out of the .22 handgun when it comes to close-range pest eradication!

When it comes to the .32 S&W Long, modern propellants make this cartridge deliver quite a "nasty-gram" at close range! If the pests, are between 25 and 50 pounds, the .32 S&W Long should get the job done. Factory loads hve a bit more "oomph." From a 2" barrel a hefty 98-grain Remington RNL runs 632 fps and provides 87 fpe and the 98-grain RNL provides 626 fps and about 85 fpe. You must bear in mind that these loads were designed with the weaker, break-top revolvers in mind.

I frequently see 98-grain RNL ahead of 3.5 grains of Unique, delivering 979 fps and about 99 1/2 fpe from a 6" barrel. While not earth shaking, it can put down many a good-sized varmint quite easily.

I want to take the opportunity today to address those that handload for the .32 S&W Long. This is where the cartridge has an opportunity to "step from the shadows" and make a statement.

Those of us that are over 50 years of age, or have made an in-depth study of handloading, are quick to realize that the .32 S&W Long, while an extremely accurate cartridge, can be loaded to some pretty respectable power levels. Now this shouldn't be seen as a license to "firewall" the cartridge, ignoring the requisite prudence and reason regarding safety. On the contrary, the very careful approach of increasing charge levels, while keeping a sharp eye for excessive pressures. (e.g. flattened primers, excessive leading, stressed cases, etc.) A 1968 copy of Handloader magazine offered the following handloads for the .32 S&W Long.

WARNING! These loads are only suitable for use in modern, solid-framed revolvers in good condition! the following loads may, or may not, be safe in your particular revolver! Use caution when approaching maximum loads!

Note: All of the bullets used were of the Round Nosed Lead variety.

Bullet Wt. Powder Charge Velocity

Lead 89 Bullseye 1.5 695
Lead 89 Bullseye 2.0 745
Lead 89 Bullseye 2.5 880
Lead 89 Bullseye 3.0 1,010
Lead 98 Bullseye 2.0 770
Lead 98 Bullseye 2.7 910
Lead 98 Unique 3.0 735
Lead 98 Unique 4.0 940
Lead 98 Unique 4.3 1,010

Both loads yielding the 1010 fps with both propellants are maximum loads. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the 89-grain maximum load yields 201.6 fpe. That, sisters and brothers, isn't the earmark of a "flyweight" cartridge, suitable only for dispatching rats! This particular load can serious medicine for a vast number of household/garden/barnyard purposes. This particular load would be an excellent choice for the elimination of skunks, nutria, large (harbor) rats, opossum and the like.

The 98-grain, 1010 fps load yields a healthy 220 fpe! Is it any wonder how so many feral dogs, foxes, bobcats, and other larger vermin can be dealt a quick death blow with this potent load. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if such a load could be effectively employed for personal defense. If the bullet were molded as a truncated cone, hollow point, a 98-grain lead bullet, loaded in the .32 Long could easily reach into .380/.38 S&W Special territory! Some of these loads should shoot well in revolvers chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum.

Once upon a time, in 1974, a gunwrter by the name of Gorge Nonte was writing for HANDLOADER magazine. It was in the January/February edition of that year, when he published an article called, "Those unloved .32's."

After discussing several of the .32 Long revolvers being manufactured in the day, he began discussing useful loads for the cartridge. On page 36, he writes,

"... If you have one of the stronger guns, and want to make your own jacketed expanding bullets, velocities as high as 1,300 to 1,600 fps are possible in 6-inch barrels. Obtaining them requires a slightly undersized, thin-jacketed bullet of 60 to 70 grains weight, driven by a hefty charge of Bullseye or Olin 230 powder. In my own 6" K-32, a 63-grain thin-jacketed soft-point bullet made up by C-H dies produces 1,380 fps when driven by 3.5 grains of Unique. These loads show no evidence of excessive pressures in the K-32 or in either a S&W Hand Ejector or a Colt Cobra. At this time, no valid pressure tests have been conducted for the above loads, and this does not constitute a recommendation for their use. We do know of a .32 S&W Long pressure barrel under construction and when it is ready - and lab time is available - we fully intend to determine the pressures of those loads.

For general shooting, which includes small game, plinking, and occasional paper-target use to 50 yards, I have yet to find a load better than Lyman bullet No. 313445, weighing approximately 95 grains and of semi-wadcutter form. It is long enough and heavy enough to retain velocity well, it cuts clean, sharp holes in paper or other targets, and kills small game nicely without excessive meat destruction. I prefer to drive it at around 1,100 fps (6-inch barrel) with either 4.5 grains of Hercules (now Alliant) Unique or 3.5 grains of Bullseye. While Unique is really my favorite powder, I often assemble this load with Bullseye because it is a bit more efficient in the two-inch barrel length - and a little 2-inch S&W Hand Ejector gun in this caliber is one of my favorites for carrying afield because of its slight weight and bulk. That little gun may look innocuous, but with the Bullseye load it will puncture beer cans out to 50 yards with a high degree of regularity if I do my part. That can't really be considered poor accuracy from a two-inch tube."

This speaks remarkably well for the humble .32 S&W Long! While so many have relegated this little revolver to the status of a "relic" it appears that it can perform many chores that may consider a labored task for the .22 Long Rifle cartridge, and a bit excessive for the .38 S&W Special. It serves a valid purpose, and still carves out it's niche in the "overly full" revolver-handgun segment. Later in the same article, Nonte provides this .32 S&W Long load data:
Bbl length.
Bullet Powder Charge 2" 4" 6"

63 gr JSP Unique 5.0 gr. 990 1,310 1,400
63 gr JSP Unique 5.2 gr. 1,030 1,330 1,420
63 gr JSP 230 3.5 gr. 995 1,290 1,380
90 gr Cast Bullseye 3.1 gr. 850 1,010 1,100
90 gr Cast Unique 4.7 gr. 875 1,065 --
98 gr Cast Bullseye 2.7 gr. 830 910 --
98 gr Cast Bullseye 1.5 gr. -- 635 --
98 gr Cast Bullseye 2.0 gr. -- 770 --
98 gr Cast Unique 4.5 gr. -- 1,040 --

Enjoy!

gunfan
01-23-2012, 06:45 PM
While it isn't a "magnum" cartidge, I think that everyone can agree that this cartridge can be loaded to "better-than-expected" results.

Scott

gunfan
01-24-2012, 03:07 PM
I believe that this particular load would be a nice compliment to the "J"-sized frame Taurus Model 74.

"Both loads yielding the 1010 fps with both propellants are maximum loads. If you look carefully, you'll notice that the 89-grain maximum load yields 201.6 fpe. That, sisters and brothers, isn't the earmark of a "flyweight" cartridge, suitable only for dispatching rats! This particular load can serious medicine for a vast number of household/garden/barnyard purposes. This particular load would be an excellent choice for the elimination of skunks, nutria, large (harbor) rats, opossum and the like.

The 98-grain, 1010 fps load yields a healthy 220 fpe! Is it any wonder how so many feral dogs, foxes, bobcats, and other larger vermin can be dealt a quick death blow with this potent load. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if such a load could be effectively employed for personal defense. If the bullet were molded as a truncated cone, hollow point, a 98-grain lead bullet, loaded in the .32 Long could easily reach into .380/.38 S&W Special territory! Some of these loads should shoot well in revolvers chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum."

This will make for a convenient Varmint/PD load.

Scott

gunfan
01-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Maybe this picture will work. (It is of another Model 73, blue steel on GunsAmerica.)

http://www.gunsamerica.com/952378112/Guns/Pistols/Taurus-Pistols-Revolvers/Revolvers/Taurus_32_S_W_M_74_AS_3_in_IDI_1970s_VG.htm#

Scott

jimfox
01-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Did you not open the link? There are several pictures of the revolver to be seen.

Scott

Maybe on your computer...

gunfan
01-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Maybe on your computer...

Jackson Armory took down the pictures since it is in transit to my gunsmith. Perhaps I can have a friend of mine take pictures and post them on the forum. (The gun has to arrive and be placed in my possession before that can happen.)

Scott

jimfox
01-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Jackson Armory took down the pictures since it is in transit to my gunsmith. Perhaps I can have a friend of mine take pictures and post them on the forum. (The gun has to arrive and be placed in my possession before that can happen.)

Scott

That'd be nice. Help out us old folks, those with drool damping our beards. :D :psycho: :P

gunfan
01-24-2012, 11:13 PM
That'd be nice. Help out us old folks, those with drool damping our beards. :D :psycho: :P

Damn, mister... I'm just trying to "catch up" with YOU! (You and that Terrier... Harrrumph!) :P

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 02:12 PM
I got off the phone with Taurus International earlier today, and discovered that they can't provide me with an Owner's Manual for the Model 74. (This may be more troublesome than irritating.)

If anyone knows where I can find an Owner's Manual for an earlier Taurus Model 74, the information would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
The Taurus Model 74 Was introduced in 1971 and discontinued in 1978. As near as I can determine, I paid a fair price for the revolver.

I'll do my best to enjoy it. ;)

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 11:49 PM
Since it is a medium-frame revolver, It will probably be sturdy enough to handle the "stout side" (read: upper end) of the .32 S&W Long loads.

I'm liking this revolver more and more with each passing minute!

Scott

gunfan
01-26-2012, 04:24 PM
The Taurus is at Clark County Gunsmithing! (Yay!) I've been told that it is the Feds that are dragging their feet on my approval for transferring both the H&R 733 and Taurus revolvers to me.

Other than that, I get to go and fondle my recent purchases in tomorrow morning! (Doing the "happy dance.") :up: :D

Scott

jimfox
01-26-2012, 04:46 PM
I've been told that it is the Feds that are dragging their feet on my approval for transferring both the H&R 733 and Taurus revolvers to me.

Scott

As I've said before - I like the system here in Texas. Even if I didn't plan to carry concealed I think I'd get the CHL just to avoid the "instant check" on every firearm purchases.

gunfan
01-26-2012, 06:28 PM
As I've said before - I like the system here in Texas. Even if I didn't plan to carry concealed I think I'd get the CHL just to avoid the "instant check" on every firearm purchases.

I know that I'll "tough it out" because they can't deny me. (I've committed no crime since last Friday, when I picked up the Leinad!) :P They have 5 business days from when I paid for the piece (and filed the paperwork) before they are required to deliver it into my possession! (To the DEVIL with them!) :down:

In the immortal lyrics of the Rolling Stones: "Time is on my side... (yes it is!) Time is on my side." ;)

Scott

gunfan
01-27-2012, 02:05 PM
The thing is tiny! Taurus built an "I" size frame and mated it to a slightly larger grip frame. It may still be able to take full-house (loaded to peak pressure) .32 S&W Longs, but it is so small, I would NEVER dream of attempting to alter it in order to accommodate the .32 H&R Magnum cartridge. The cylinder is far too short. The piece is still a great little "pocket gun." I have this sinking feeling that finding new grips for this thing will be a real problem.

That said, the Taurus is still a nice little revolver for the money.

Scott

gunfan
01-29-2012, 10:39 PM
From Gunblast.com when it came to the "lowly" .32 S&W Long:

"Lefty Lewis told me a story of a 20th Century Western sheriff who was involved in a number of shootings during the “Roaring 20’s”. His weapon of choice was a revolver chambered for the .32 Long cartridge. It was said that he killed as many miscreants as any of his law enforcement contemporaries, which points out that a cool head, accuracy and thinking on your feet most often have more effect than the weapon you use in a gunfight."

Think about it.

Scott

gunfan
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
I want back to Clark County Gunsmithing (to pay the FFL fee for transferring the S&W Airweight and starting the transfer paperwork, of course) and asked to handle the Taurus model 74. The more I look over the little revolver, the more I like it! It is light, handy and should disappear under a sport coat rather nicely. The nickel plating makes it look like a cap pistol, but it looks stout enough to handle the .32 long rounds with relative ease. It will be a welcome addition to my "stable" of .32 caliber "ponies." (Now all I need is a Colt's Pocket Positive with a 3 1/2" barrel in .32 Colt to complete my collection!)

Yeah, RIGHT! Who do I think I'm kidding? ;) :OHNO: :bonk: :sick: :clnlol:

Scott

jimfox
01-30-2012, 04:44 PM
I want back to Clark County Gunsmithing (to pay the FFL fee for transferring the S&W Airweight and starting the transfer paperwork, of course) and asked to handle the Taurus model 74. The more I look over the little revolver, the more I like it! It is light, handy and should disappear under a sport coat rather nicely. The nickel plating makes it look like a cap pistol, but it looks stout enough to handle the .32 long rounds with relative ease. It will be a welcome addition to my "stable" of .32 caliber "ponies." (Now all I need is a Colt's Pocket Positive with a 3 1/2" barrel in .32 Colt to complete my collection!)

Yeah, RIGHT! Who do I think I'm kidding? ;) :OHNO: :bonk: :sick: :clnlol:

Scott

Scott - you do know those little Pocket Positives came in several barrel lengths? As did the little I-frames. And their decendents the Models 30 and 31. :D :up: :psycho: ;) And both nickeled and blued.

gunfan
01-30-2012, 04:50 PM
Scott - you do know those little Pocket Positives came in several barrel lengths? As did the little I-frames. And their decendents the Models 30 and 31. :D :up: :psycho: ;) And both nickeled and blued.

Yes, I know they did. :mad: What are you trying to do, Feed my addiction? :P

This is "child abuse" plain and simple! :D :rolleyes:

Scott

jimfox
01-30-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't know Scott - I think you must be confusing me with Williamlayton who commissions all that fine leather work that makes the rest of us envious. Or maybe Hammerdown with his extensive and immaculate S&W collection, pictures of which have caused many a keyboard to short out from drool. I certainly wouldn't dream of feeding your addiction. :D:P:psycho:

gunfan
01-30-2012, 06:39 PM
I don't know Scott - I think you must be confusing me with Williamlayton who commissions all that fine leather work that makes the rest of us envious. Or maybe Hammerdown with his extensive and immaculate S&W collection, pictures of which have caused many a keyboard to short out from drool. I certainly wouldn't dream of feeding your addiction. :D:P:psycho:

There are lies, damned lies and statistics... I'm not certain which category your statement fall into, but I'm sure it is one of them! ;) :D :P

(You love them too, and that's why you keep goading me into feeding my addiction! You scoundrel!)

Scott

gunfan
01-31-2012, 11:40 AM
After, once again, looking at the little Taurus it reminds me of the "coarse" revolvers from other countries. Granted, the Revolver was made in Brazil, the rough milling on the barrel, cylinder and other parts evoke images of Saturday night in a smoky Cicero, Illinois bar.

I can see this little revolver parked in the overcoat pocket of Leroy Brown next to an Italian switchblade and a bag of weed. The visions are as clear as day.

These are as much a part of American folklore, as Frankie and Johnny and Stagger Lee.

Scott

jimfox
01-31-2012, 03:12 PM
After, once again, looking at the little Taurus it reminds me of the "coarse" revolvers from other countries. Granted, the Revolver was made in Brazil, the rough milling on the barrel, cylinder and other parts evoke images of Saturday night in a smoky Cicero, Illinois bar.

I can see this little revolver parked in the overcoat pocket of Leroy Brown next to an Italian switchblade and a bag of weed. The visions are as clear as day.

These are as much a part of American folklore, as Frankie and Johnny and Stagger Lee.

Scott

If I recall the song correctly Frankie took out Johnny with a .44. :D

gunfan
01-31-2012, 05:16 PM

'Tis true! 'cause he done her wrong! (Those old .44 S&W Russians were nearly as powerful as the 1907 .44 S&W Special!) ;)

Scott

gunfan
01-31-2012, 05:20 PM
YAY! :tigger: I can go and pick up the Taurus Model 74 tomorrow morning! This is good news, because on Friday I'll be able to pick up the S&W Airweight! :up: :D

Sometimes, Life can be VERY good! :)

Scott

gunfan
01-31-2012, 06:05 PM

BTW, Stagger Lee shot Billy with a .44 Special.

Lloyd Price - "Stagger Lee shot Billy, oh, he shot that boy so bad. He shot all the way through Billy and broke the bartender's glass." :skare:

Scott

budroe
01-31-2012, 09:06 PM
While Elmer Keith is known for his love of heavy revolvers, he had lots of good things to say about the little .32. He thought it was a much better small game gun than the .22LR, without a lot more recoil.

gunfan
02-01-2012, 07:38 AM
While Elmer Keith is known for his love of heavy revolvers, he had lots of good things to say about the little .32. He thought it was a much better small game gun than the .22LR, without a lot more recoil.

As a younger man, (during the 1920's) Elmer did a lot a 'pot shooting' with his S&W chambered for the .32-20 cartridge. I think that Elmer would have approved of the .327 Federal Magnum, seeing it as a modern incarnation/permutation of his beloved .32-20.

Scott

gunfan
02-01-2012, 07:53 AM

We have the "Instant Check" system here too. The Feds, however, can "drag their feet" if they are so inclined. (What a collective pain in the neck the Federal Government is!)

Today is the day! (I will no longer be delayed.) Farg 'em! :neer::P :alan: :freak:

Scott

gunfan
02-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Jim: I would truly enjoy a 4" barreled nickel-plated S&W Model 30 (Hand Ejector.) If I owned one, I would immediately have the chamber relieved to accommodate the .32 H&R Magnum. This would be done solely for defensive use. With "high-end" .32 Magnum loads, the cartridge is more than sufficient for ANY gunfight.

"Bad guys" fall down, go boom! ;) :up:

Scott

gunfan
02-01-2012, 01:54 PM
Continued in new thread.

If you enjoyed reading about "Here's hoping that the 3" Taurus Model 74 is..." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!