I'm seeking concealment grips for the Taurus Model 74.

PDA
gunfan
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
I have decided that the Taurus Model 74 is a svelte, easy to carry revolver. I think, however, that the grips have to go. Oh, they LOOK all right and will be fine for casual shooting and "target" work. When it comes to concealed carry, I don't want to have those wooden monsters chewing up the lining of my sport coat!

For this reason, I have been contemplating buying a set of Hogue Monogrips. Would anyone care to offer an alternative to this? I am open to suggestions.

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm seeking concealment grips for the Taurus Model 74." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
budroe
01-25-2012, 08:53 PM
If you would like wood grips that will not destroy the lining of your jacket check out the Secret Service model grips from Eagle Grips eaglegrips.com.

Don't know which S&W J-frame your model 74 matches up with, but Ajax Grips makes attractive polymer grips at decent prices.

deputy
01-25-2012, 08:55 PM
is the model 74 more of a medium or "k" frame size?

gunfan
01-25-2012, 08:56 PM
If you would like wood grips that will not destroy the lining of your jacket check out the Secret Service model grips from Eagle Grips eaglegrips.com.

Don't know which S&W J-frame your model 74 matches up with, but Ajax Grips makes attractive polymer grips at decent prices.

Thanks, Budroe. I'll check into the Eagle Grips. I like for the panels to look nice, but as you know, "form follows function."

Again, thanks.

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 08:59 PM

The 1971-1978 Taurus Model 74 is, more or less, a "J" frame revolver. It is heavier than most "J" frame revolvers (32 ounces) but the grip-frame appears to be nearly as small.

I hope this was helpful.

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Deputy told me that Numrich Gun Parts lists the Taurus' frame as "medium" instead of "small" in size. I guess that I'll have to wait until I get my grimy paws on it to see what I can get that will fit the blessed thing, won't I?

Buying these older (and discontinued) guns can begin to cause a lot of logistic nightmares, can't they? :mad::psycho: What the #ell, I should take a deeeeep breath and relax! (It doesn't do much good to fret, does it?)

Scott

gunfan
01-25-2012, 09:32 PM
I believe these to be the same grips that would be used on the Model 74. (The Model 73 is the blue steel version of the same revolver.)

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=575650&catid=14286

Quien sabe?

Scott

Popeye
01-25-2012, 09:42 PM
If you decide to go with Hogue grips, do not buy their rubber grips for a carry firearm. Rubber 'grabs' cloth and 'prints' the firearm quite well. Hogue makes excellent wood grips, in a variety of flavors and grip oprions, at a higher price than their rubber grips. 'Course, their wood grips are better than their rubber grips.

deputy
01-25-2012, 09:46 PM
but they have this...........

the 74 is under medium frame while the 73 is under small frame

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=9177

budroe
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
I have a couple of sets of Hogue wooden grips for N-frame guns. They're excellent, they are attached to the gun from the bottom of the grip frame which works very well!!

gunfan
01-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Well, that settles it. It is a medium-frame revolver. (I'll be jiggered!)

Who knew?!

Scott

StrawHat
01-26-2012, 03:37 PM
...I don't want to have those wooden monsters chewing up the lining of my sport coat! Scott...

Most factory grips are concelaing a pretty good set of carry grips in all the lumber they ship. All it takes is a rasp and some patience.

Figure what wood needs to be removed and have at it. Finish them with Tung Oil or whatever you choose.

I dislike rubber grips because they shift around on the revovler and cause shots outside the group.

gunfan
01-26-2012, 04:39 PM

I spoke with Numrich Gun Parts and they confirmed the fact that the Taurus Model 74 is, in fact, a medium frame revolver. This is good, because I want to begin handloading for the .32 S&W Long cartridge.

Mama mia, THAT'S a "spicy meatball!" :D

Scott

Popeye
01-26-2012, 05:05 PM
I dislike rubber grips because they shift around on the revolver and cause shots outside the group.

Another strike against rubber grips, in my mind, is that they trap and hold moisture more efficiently than wood. Therefore, unless regularly removed and proper care given to the grip frame, the aforementioned grip frame is much more susceptible to rust. This is true even with stainless steel handguns.

StrawHat
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Here is what you can do with the factory wood grips. Factory on right.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Nframegrips005.jpg

I cut the wood off even with the bottom of the frame, and removed wood from wherever it felt "thick" in my hand. S&W factory grips are built upside down as far as I am concerned, the fattest part is where my hand is the smallest and the smallest is where I have lots of reach. When viewed from behind, my version tapers wide at the top and narrow at the bottom. I leave the filler behind the triggerguard. When done, they are similar to a magna grip with a T grip installed, except they feel better. These grips have never been completed, no final sanding and no finish. They are using grips plain and simple and they get used daily.

Compared to a set of Magna grips.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Nframegrips007.jpg

A comparison of three styles of factory grips and mine. Mine are still there best feeling.

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc194/StrawHat/Nframegrips008.jpg

The grips I reworked were from an L frame that I used in competition. With the worked over grips, my scores improved. When I quit competition, I switched them to the 45 ACP to see how they would feel, with the intention of crafting a new set from apple if they felt right. 18 years and I still haven't started ont he apple grips!

gunfan
01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the help. I think that when I get the Taurus home, the first thing that I'll do, is take off the grips an just see how big the frame is.

The revolver's mechanism is TINY!

Scott

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm seeking concealment grips for the Taurus Model 74." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!