440 Corbon Magnum

PDA
GI Joe
02-02-2003, 12:39 PM
I have been pondering one of these for a while now. I thought that Magnum Research stopped making Desert Eagles in this caliber. Then, yesterday, a dealer's catalog listed a chrome-brushed 6" Desert Eagle in 440 Corbon for $1199. So, what do you who have shot guns in this caliber think of it? Should I snatch it up or let it pass? He can also get the full range of Corbon factory ammo for $20-25 which seems like a good deal. I had thought Corbon would discontinue this round, but I e-mailed them and found that they have no plans of dropping this round, so that seems to be a good sign.

I like the big bore magnums so this would seem to be a nice addition. I shoot 454, 480, 475 Linebaugh and Wildey, 44 Mag, 50 AE, and hopefully will get a new 500 S&W magnum when it comes out.

One more thing, the ballistics on Corbon's website are all for 10" barrelled guns. How much velocity do you lose going from 10" to 6" barrels? Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "440 Corbon Magnum" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
1badmagnum
02-02-2003, 06:20 PM
they are discontinued,and magnum has produced approximately 100 complete pistols,plus a number of 440 corbon barrels.
it was discontinued because of unreliable feeding/ammo problems. through testing I have gotten a good idea what the rounds need to measure,both neck dimension,col,and crimping cannule.the reloading dies are $200,plus a form die$150.
you can also make the rounds using a 50 ae,45 acp,44 magnum die then resizing in corbon die set.
another member apparently just places a 50 ae case into the 440 dies and forms them from there,and I have tried a few of these with plenty of rcbs die wax and they did shoot well.
although I have not shot alot of cases this way,so dependability is still suspect.
once you have cases the correct size the pistol is fantastic,i own the 10 inch barrel but havent any chrony data yet.
it is an extremely smooth shooting pistol compared to the 50 AE.
most shooters using this caliber handload to make shooting more economical.
you will not find a more fun pistol to shoot,and after shooting one a 45 acp will feel like a 22!

If you enjoyed reading about "440 Corbon Magnum" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!