Kydex or leather? Which is better?

PDA
LASur5r
04-10-2002, 07:55 PM
I know this fight has been going on, but here we go again...What do you prefer for a holster body? Kydex or leather and which position?

Has anyone tried kydex with suede lining?

If you enjoyed reading about "Kydex or leather? Which is better?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Bubba
04-10-2002, 10:25 PM
And the definitive answer is......

It depends. :D

For everyday carry... I still like leather. Milt Sparks Versa MAX II. Very comfortable. Holds my full sized 1911 to the point I don't know it is there. I can hide it with the kydex clips and a regular shirt.

For competition.... I use Kydex. I have timed my draw stroke at .25-.30 faster with kydex over leather. Doesn't sound like much. Until you think.. the difference between 1st and 5th is many times 3 to 4 seconds. Cut .25 off your draw across 15-18 stages.... that can be a huge difference in how you place.

Grayfox
04-11-2002, 04:52 AM
I'm just old fashioned. I know the Kydex works, but just don't care for plastic holsters any more than I do plastic guns. Give me good old leather every time.

Gunslinger
04-11-2002, 04:22 PM
In my far less than humble opinion God invented cows for three reasons; Beef, boots and holsters. I do my best to take advantage of all three as often as possible. ;)

jimfox
04-11-2002, 08:45 PM
Guess I'd have to vote with Bubba - though I'd differ slightly on the version/maker.

Stainless and plastic have their place - and I use both - but deep in my heart, guns should be blue and holsters should be leather.

Edited to add comments about position

Concealed - mostly IWB, cant - a bit more pronounced than the standard 15 degree FBI. With 1911 pattern - my usual companion.

Open carry:

Range - whatever.

hunting, woodswalking - with knapsack - a good crossdraw. The Bianchi Cyclone 111 is a favorite. For this activity I often opt for a revolver.

Without knapsack - seperate belt (2+ inch) and "John Wayne" carry - gun barrel covering most of my strong side hip pocket. Or, for an auto, the old Bianchi Scorpion should-holster set up.

Open carry for general social purposes (is there any place this still occurs?), a good canted belt slide. Or, for driving, a good cross draw.

[ 04-11-2002: Message edited by: jimfox ]

ted murphy
04-12-2002, 08:39 PM
I use the blade tech kydex for general range use and IDPA. Main reason is I tend to shoot in the rain a lot (for some reason) and the kydex is a lot easier to deal with after a drenching.

There is a speed advantage in kydex (I think) but my draw isn't real fast so I'm not sure how much an advantage it is for me.

Kydex is also (usually) cheaper so you can get a better holster for cheap. I usually use blade tech but someone gave me an uncle mikes kydex I'll be playing with tomorrow so maybe that will be cool too. We'll see.

I use leather for IWB though. The kydex digs into my belly there.

Ted

Bear One
04-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Gunslinger:
<STRONG>In my far less than humble opinion God invented cows for three reasons; Beef, boots and holsters. I do my best to take advantage of all three as often as possible. ;)</STRONG>

Bill, you forgot milk, cheese & butter. Do you know what corn flakes taste like without milk?????

BTW, LEATHER! holsters, please. My last plastic gun & holster used a roll of caps for ammo. :rolleyes: :p

Tony from Finland
04-16-2002, 08:15 AM
If talking about quality holsters... I'll have one of each, thanks. :D

Ok, seriously. Due to the laws of the land I ain't the most experienced person on the board, but from my limited experience, I think I'd prefer a Kydex holster if I could get a really good one. Leather squeaks, is affected by things like water... Kydex doesn't do any of that. (In fact right now I have a R.E.K.A.T. Utility Neck Knife in a Kydex holder on my belt. :) ) Plus I just like the "look" of a Kydex holster. Leather is so... old-fashioned. :)

But then again a really good leather holster is molded so it's almost like Kydex. So I could live with either one. I guess it pretty much comes down to your personal preference?

miquela
04-16-2002, 03:35 PM
I guess I have to parrot Bubba and Ted (no big surprise there, is there? ;) :D) I really like leather. A lot. But for competition, I'll probably follow in their footsteps and use the Kydex. And since I can't carry in NJ, the whole "shoot what you carry" philosophy in IDPA really isn't an issue for me. Yet. ;) Now that I've got a new gun, I need to get new accessories.

I had to use Bubba's holster and mag pouch at the match on Saturday, forcing him to use his leather, which no doubt had a bearing on his overall time. ;) The blue rig Beverly McCord made is really pretty and I've got this blue theme going on, but the front sight of the gun catches on the bottom edge of the holster and the Fobus one I have didn't fit the full-size pistola. I typically don't like shopping, but I think gun-schtuff just might be the exception to the rule. :D

KMDO
04-16-2002, 03:48 PM
Blade Tech is my preference, used it at gunsite and loved it.

I know others prefer leather, esp Sandy, you're so thin and supple that you look good in any color as long as its BLACK!!!! ;)

[ 04-16-2002: Message edited by: KMDO ]

FotoTomas
04-17-2002, 02:13 AM
I like leather holsters and own quite a few however when I carry now it is in nylon duty gear and kydex off duty.

Lighter, and easier care. Speed is a bonus.

One exception though. I keep a S&W model 65 in the trunk in a utility bag with speedloaders, extra box of ammo and such. Pistol is nestled in a Bianchi Pistol Pocket. Its all I have for a 3" revolver.

When the old blue S&W model 19 was in the car it sat in a Rogers kydex paddle with a leather and plastic thumbsnap. Old old plastic holster when it was'nt cool to carry in one.

MontanaDownUnder
04-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Personally I like holsters made from small kittens!Just kidding!Your kittens are safe.
I like many prefer good ole leather.I am a Galco fan along with Safariland but many companies are getting away from Leather.The Ballistic nylon holsters are nice too.But I do not like the plastic ones like from Uncle Mikes and Bianchi. I bought a Kydex sheath for my Cold Steel Trailmaster and I hate it.
I mainly stick with leather because I am a crossdraw fan and crossdraw holster mainly are produced in leather.My western rigs are made in a custom leather shop in Billings Montana or Baker City Oregon.Saddle leather is the best!Although that kitten leather might work too.....LOL!!!
I can just see Greenpeace surrounding my house now....Next it will be save your kitty's!

Bubba
04-25-2002, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by KMDO:
<STRONG>

I know others prefer leather, esp Sandy,

</STRONG>

Ooooo... Sandy is into LEATHER???? Kinky! :D :D :D (she is gonna be SOOO p!$$ed at us for posting that KMDO. ;))

I am working on a BBQ gun concept... and that one will ride in leather.... Tan Ostrich. Belt, holster, mag pouch... and of course matching hat band & Tony Llama boots.

[ 04-25-2002: Message edited by: Bubba ]

ted murphy
04-25-2002, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by Bubba:
[QB]

I am working on a BBQ gun concept... and that one will ride in leather.... Tan Ostrich. Belt, holster, mag pouch... and of course matching hat band & Tony Llama boots.
QB]

Been thinking of a BBQ gun on my own. Was thinking M1911 but now I'm thinking wheelgun. Maybe a K or N frame, engraved.

Fun to dream about if nothing else.

Ted

miquela
04-26-2002, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Bubba:
<STRONG>Ooooo... Sandy is into LEATHER???? </STRONG>

Isn't everyone?? :D

Leather is awesome! Soft, and warm, quite functional and dang! it smells good. ;) :p :D

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: miquela ]

Sleepy
04-26-2002, 03:57 PM
:eek: :eek: I thought my ears were ringing :D Seeing that the men already answered for me there is only one stipulation, it must be BLACK :D

Missy....I have five leather jackets LOL I normally keep two out just so when I walk by I can smell the leather :D One day when I win the lotto, I will buy every single thing possible that is leather for the house. Hell if we can get the walls to be leather that would be cool too. Im considering buying leather shorts for the summer, but I need to try them on first, I have a feeling I might look stupid :D Sure would look cool with a leather holster to match :D (can ya tell I like leather?)

miquela
04-26-2002, 04:25 PM
I have a leather mini skirt and a leather bodice and uhmmm.. oh my. this should probly be in a totally different forum all-together. :D talk about thread drift. lol. :p :D

[ 04-26-2002: Message edited by: miquela ]

Sleepy
04-26-2002, 05:54 PM
I know where you are coming from Miss ;) :D No further comment. :D

Col. Mustard
04-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I typically don't like shopping, but I think gun-schtuff just might be the exception to the rule.

I despise shopping, but I could spend all day (and most of my money) browsing the various web sites of gunleather/kydex, ammo, accessories, etc. I find stuff out there that I really was unaware that I couldn't live without :) and just had to have...

My two favorite holsters are, in fact, one leather and one Kydex. My leather Galco Slide is a good, close-fitting concealment belt holster, and my Fobus paddle is convenient for on/off use, and is thin enough to optimize concealment. So let me refer you all to Ecclesiastes, and "for everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven." Or something like that. I'm too lazy to look it up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Kydex or leather? Which is better?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!