CCI Pistol Shotshell Ammo

PDA
Sir Knight
08-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Anyone have any experience with CCI Pistol Shotshell Ammunition

http://a1460.g.akamai.net/f/1460/1339/6h/www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/Item/21/08/38/i210838sq02.jpg (http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0003708210838a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx)

... is it a good idea for use against snakes and smaller rabid animals that a person might encounter in the woods while hiking / camping or should one just stick with regular ammo for those purposes?

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Pistol Shotshell Ammo" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Richard J.
08-01-2004, 06:30 AM
Alan, I have CCI shotshells in .45 Colt, .38 Sp., and .45ACP. I've shot both the Colt and .38 loadings, but have yet to use the ACP. I don't think I'd want to use them against anything more sturdy than a snake, and that only at close range, no more than 5 to 8 feet.

When I go fishing, I take my M60, and I load the first three chambers with shot, then Silvertips in the last two. I carry a Speed Strip that has three more Silvertips and two more shotshells.

ducktapehero
08-01-2004, 07:51 AM
If the snake is close enough to be a threat then they'll work fine.

Rabbi
08-01-2004, 08:32 AM
I have CCI in all calibers mentioned above plus .22 l.r. and .45 Colt.

I hand load them using the CCI shot capsules in .357 and .45 cal. I can tailor my loads using different shot sizes, such as 7-1/2 mixed with BBs in .45 Colt. I've even tried brass wire cut in 1/2" sections! I hung a roasting chicken in the garage and proceeded to chew it to pieces with those wire loads. My seven year old son ratted me out to my wife who stomped a mud puddle in my butt when she got home. I thought I was a scientist, she thought I was a menace to society.

They work well on vermin at 10 ft. or less.

Rabbi

t driver
08-01-2004, 09:39 AM
I have a limited experience with them. They would probably work OK for what you want. You might want to be sure to use them through a revolver though, because in my experience they won't cycle an auto loader.

USP45usp
08-01-2004, 01:15 PM
Alan,

Don't screw with rapid animals. I don't care if it's a mouse to a bear... USE A SHOTGUN!!!! You don't wish to just hurt it, you want it dead, and fast.

That reminds me, PA has a racoon problem, if you see one that doesn't "seem right", shoot it.

Better safe than sorry, don't screw around with rabies.

That type of shot is best used on snakes, that's why the southerns call it snake shot (or rat shot, we did have some dog sized rats running around).

Wayne

shep854
08-01-2004, 02:43 PM
I ran some CCI shot rounds through my 2" Bodyguard not too long ago. I hae carried them in the woods for years, but never actually fired any. I shot a a piece of notebook paper at about 3', 5', 6' and 10' or so. Close in, they made very dense pattern, up to abour 6" at 6 feet. Beyond this, they rapidly spread out.

I usually carry two shots, remainder solids. Even against larger critters, the shot may sting them enough to discourage. If not, there's the real bullets coming up.

john
08-02-2004, 08:05 AM
been using them for years on snakes. first two rounds shot then reg. alot of differance from .22 to .40cal. down in the old ice house (thats were the washer is) there use to be alot of snakes down there. (been bit twice down there allready) cant let loose with a .40:psycho: cause of recashay but the shot shells arnt bad.

Bear One
08-02-2004, 07:01 PM
I have used 38's on snakes and other unwanted small pests. I have used .22lr on pigeons at close range. I would say over 6' is a stretch.

Marinesg1012
08-02-2004, 07:02 PM
If you do purchase them defintly make sure you pattern them and find out your effective range. Rifled barrels do strange things to shot shells

cheekser
08-02-2004, 08:52 PM
i know you asked about the CCI factory stuff..but here is an article (http://www.gunblast.com/Snake_Stopper.htm) on some "roll your own" fodder.

you questioned the stopping power of the CCI loads on possible rabid game. the beauty of the make your own, is that you can cap it off with a round ball (~70gr. in .357cal). that way you have an effective large projectile, and a payload of shot.

this load really only works well if....

1. it is a long cased caliber (.357mag, .44mag, .45Colt, etc.)

2. you can find a lead ball that will swage when you press it in the die, but is hard enough to not foul your barrel too much.

3. you are using a powder that delivers a lot of punch for a minimal volume (within safe pressure, of course)

makarovman
08-04-2004, 07:27 AM
I shoot the 22mag's outta my single six.They work fine,But agree on the 5to 6 foot away as the max..And anything bigger than i snake i wouldnt feel comfortable shooting with one.Cause if u shooting at an animal or reptile. You are looking to put it down.Not shoot it to hurt it and play with it...

MM

Jaco
08-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Rabbi,

So it means you can take off the cap of any capsule and fill it with any other shot sizes without any negative effect?

Sisco
08-05-2004, 05:17 AM
I carry my SP101 loaded with shot shells when I go to the range in the summertime.
Only had to use it once, rattler came out from under a bench about 4' from me, the blue shot capsule was stuck inside him. Like others have said, check the pattern, range is very limited

Sir Knight
08-05-2004, 05:30 AM
... the beauty of the make your own, is that you can cap it off with a round ball (~70gr. in .357cal). that way you have an effective large projectile, and a payload of shot.

this load really only works well if....

1. it is a long cased caliber (.357mag, .44mag, .45Colt, etc.)

2. you can find a lead ball that will swage when you press it in the die, but is hard enough to not foul your barrel too much.

3. you are using a powder that delivers a lot of punch for a minimal volume (within safe pressure, of course) What about using one of these ...

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/image/1/19666.JPG (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=55758)

... sort of mixing the CCI stuff and one .30 cal. #1 buck shot pellets from this stuff (http://www.advancedtactical.com/strike3.html)?

Or, would this Strike Three stuff (http://www.advancedtactical.com/strike3.html) be a better option over the CCI stuff?

Rabbi
08-05-2004, 11:04 AM
Jaco! Het Hallo, mijn broer. Ik dacht miste u in actie. Goed om u to zein.

Ik heb een nieuwe naam. (Rabbi)

You can buy empty CCI shot capsules from www.midwayusa.com and load them yourself. The front of the capsule is scored to tear open in the rifling and the back has a little cap or plug allowing you to put any kind of filler in it. They come in .38 and .45 caliber.

Dok

Automatix
08-06-2004, 11:17 AM
I have the shotshells in 9mm and 45acp. neither has enough umph to cycle the slide.

I have had a problem with those small moles in my yard for a number of years. Every now and then I find a fresh burrow and go back at nite to check it out. On these occasions I bring with me a gun and shotshells.

Heres the trick ( got this out of a home and gardens magazine). As I did, find a fresh burrow and mark it for finding later at nite........heh heh. Now the article says to watch this active burrow at nite with some kind of lite, (must really be bored) and too bring two shovels with you. For my method only one shovel is needed. I suggest one of those small chairs or portable hunting stools to sit on.

Now, on to the hunt. While sitting on this stool with said lite ( having beverage will ease the thirst) and watching the burrow............When you see the sand/dirt start to move rise and wiggle so to speak that is a good indication of said mole starting his/her shift of tunneling.............

Now for the shovel.......You see the burrow and where the little sucker is, so take the shovel and stick in the ground behind the little tunneling varment to prevent his escape. Now with the door closed so he can't go back....just be patient....that's it just wait. When this dangerous and deadly little freak pops his head out of the ground to do a bit of recon............heh heh, ventilate it with the shotshell type execution system.

In the original article they wanted you to block the path of the little sucker and when it popped its head up..........you were supposed to wack it with the second shovel.

Remember: One must be bored out of their skull to attain the proper perspective for the hunt.

Now go on and get to the hunt.

StayFree;
Automatix

Jaco
08-16-2004, 04:37 AM
Hallo Rabbi! Van waar die nuwe naam? En ons leef nog hier...

My problem with snakeshot are that I have a .22 revolver and a .32 Pistol. And that is it, there is no way of getting a new firearm ever in this country. I will now almost always carry the .32,, because carrying the .22 without my wife with me (the license is in her name) is looking for trouble. The .22 CCI shotshell hasnt got enough oomph, and you dont get shotshells for .32 commercially.

What my plan is, is the following:
.32ACP - Take a LRN bullet, hollow it out. Put your normal powder in a case put a wad in so that the powder does not fall out, put shot in the hollowed out bullet, and fit it again.
.22LR - Take the normal CCI shell, throw that fine shot out, put larger shot in, and put cap back on.

Can one do that?

Nes
08-17-2004, 11:46 AM
Hey Jaco. I don't know the ans to your question but wanted to say good to see you. :D :D :P :P

Nes

Sam
08-17-2004, 09:05 PM
Jaco,
You can't pull the capsule from the 22 without breaking the capsule. Crimped too tightly and the capsule disintegrates. To male a shot load for the 32, capture the shot between 2 30 cal Gas Cheks. Should work ok but the shot load will be severely limited unless you are using a 32 S&W Long.

Sam

Jaco
08-18-2004, 09:39 AM
Hi Nes,

Good to see you too, been very busy here so not much time to pop in and say hi to the best net family.

Radhnoti
08-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Regarding shotshells...
The only revolvers I have are ported, and the directions say not to use 'em with ported firearms. My gun dealer told me that as long as I occasionally clean my ports there would be no problem, the warning was in regard to people not cleaning out the plastic that might s****e away from shotshells on the way out. Has anyone had any problems along these lines? Thanks...

Nes
08-19-2004, 10:06 AM
Yopu know I had forgot but I used to make shot shells for all my wheel guns. I just resized the brass, primed them, addec the shot and used the flat parafen( cant spell It this morning) the wax for canning to plug the end of the brass. Worked great, never had any problems. Did it for 38,357,44mag,44spec.and 45 long colt. I just used number 8 shot I would take from a shotshell.
Nes.
Ps. I got the idea from a loader with years of experence.

If you enjoyed reading about "CCI Pistol Shotshell Ammo" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!