What is the equivalent Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze?

PDA
Tagawichin
09-29-2004, 08:51 AM
I am changing the coolant in my Nissan Xterra next week. The owners manual says to use "Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze coolant or equivalent". So is there an equivalant on the market or should I stick with the Nissan stuff. I am sure the Nissan coolant is very good but if it is just presstone in a Nissan bottle then I would like to know.

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the equivalent Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Pathfinder
09-29-2004, 11:13 PM
As long as you stay with a quality brand i.e. Prestone, Zerex and a few others, you will be ok. Stay away from the Wally world specials. ;)

Antlurz
09-30-2004, 12:58 AM
Can't recall EVER in my life of hearing anything but the occasional rumor of anti-freeze problems. I think the companies do these side by side comparison tests, and one might show some corrosion after a year or two's exposure, so they claim so and so's anti-freeze will ruin your engine. They fail to tell you that it would take a hundred years to erode enough to make any difference.

Like Path said... just buy a name brand and go with it. Your engine will do just fine.

I made my living for 18 years on Honda motorcycles, and ALL the manuals back then said to use NOTHING but Honda Oil. In those 18 years, and even to this day thirty years later, I've never seen a can of Honda Oil.

It's nothing but a sales gimmick. Your engine is built out of the same metal as everyone elses.

Ron

Pathfinder
09-30-2004, 07:46 AM
One thing I forgot to mention, stay away from the long-life stuff... ie orange..

Makes a mess in ours. :OMG:

Tagawichin
10-01-2004, 03:34 AM
Thanks for the info. I have always used Prestone with my other vehicles but just wanted to check in case Nissan use one of those silicate free types. I had did some reading on the subject and learned that color is not always a good indicator of what type of coolant is in the engine.

Citizen
10-01-2004, 11:20 AM
Ah the joys of marketing. Antifreeze is antifreeze.

ken w.
10-01-2004, 09:19 PM
In your manuel it should give a spec number for the antifreeze and the aftermarket antifreeze will too.Go to a real parts store-NAPA,CARQUEST,etc.One that sells to garages and they will know what kind.Antifreeze is not antifreeze anymore.Theres green and red.GM has there own now and so do some imports and there not recomended to be mixed.

Bill Sanders
10-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Do not use DexCool (GM brand longlife stuff, usually red, but can also be green), in anything but GM vehicles. It has been known to cause head gasket failures when used in Ford vehicles. If mixed with standard ethelyne glycol antifreeze, it has been known to cause excessive corrosion in aluminum engines, and radiators. Myself, I usually ask for a tour of the shop at the dealership, and take note of which brands they are using/have in stock, and use that.

Make sure to dispose of the old stuff properly. Ethelyne glycol antifreeze is DEADLY to pets, and children! And it also tastes sweet, so they usually want more, once they taste it.

Antlurz
10-02-2004, 11:49 AM
Make sure to dispose of the old stuff properly. Ethelyne glycol antifreeze is DEADLY to pets, and children! And it also tastes sweet, so they usually want more, once they taste it.

Very good point!

Ron

If you enjoyed reading about "What is the equivalent Genuine Nissan Anti-freeze?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!