RG IND. Model RG 31 INFO

PDA
jforce11
11-21-2004, 10:48 PM
I wanted to see if if anyone could give me any info about a pistal I have had for years and can`t find out anything about.
The only thing it says on it is
MOD. RG 31
RG IND
MIAMI, FLA.
It is a 38 Special.
:bonk:I would like to find a web site or something about this gun.

If you enjoyed reading about "RG IND. Model RG 31 INFO" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Rabbi
11-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Hi Jforce and :4wel: to FFF.

I believe the RGs were made in Germany and imported by FIE in Florida in the sixties and seventies. They were made by the same company that made the Arminius revolvers and were inexpensive (as in 60-75 dollars). I had an Arminius and it was junk but other than that I know nothing about the quality or value of the RGs.

One of our old timers has one and I'm hoping he sees this post and chimes in.

Good luck in your quest for info.

Rabbi

michael t
11-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Cheap,many many law suites against company .Was a 22 RG that shot Regan Not held in high reguard by most people. But if it works beats the hell out of rocks.

Popeye
11-22-2004, 12:24 AM
The company was sued out of business due to the lack of quality of their weapons. Need I say more?

jforce11
11-22-2004, 12:56 AM
Thank to all for the help.I thought it was a cheeper made gun. It shoots ok but nothing great.I got it when my wifes granddad past away.So I have no money in it.thank goodness.Thanks again.

Bear One
11-22-2004, 01:03 AM
POS

armoredman
11-22-2004, 09:21 AM
Paint it a nice odd color, remove the firing pin, and use it in a wall hanging. Then get a nice used Smith .38 for $125-175, and relax. I had a RG 22 revolver years ago - the worst POS I ever owned, and that's counting the Lorcin....

Mike Weber
12-20-2004, 06:22 PM
Rabbi is correct these and the Arminius revolvers were made by the same company and they were real cheap junky guns. I know of only one revolver in recent times that was a worse piece of junk, those were the Clerke revolvers in .22 and .32 caliber that sold for $15.00 NIB back in the seventies, another company that was sued out of business. A lot of these ultrachaep revolvers and pocket pistols came into this country back in the 50's and 60's I saw one of the cheap German made revolvers a while back that was even older than the RG's and it had a loading gate like a Colt SAA and was chambered in .32 S&W.

Sara Sheppard
12-08-2010, 09:25 PM
I knew this "Gun" was a piece of junk. My father just bought a 32. Cal Rg for 200 U.S. Dollars. I went with him, when he went to look at it, and just knew something was off about this gun. (I also didn't like how heave it was and how you have to remove the cylinder pin to reload it.) I told him, several times, but he bought it anyway. I'll have to warn him about it throwing lead shavings, that wouldn't be good.

dfariswheel
12-08-2010, 09:52 PM
As above, these were bottom of the barrel cheap guns made in Germany.
After the Gun Control Act of 1968 stopped import, RG Industries of Florida imported parts and assembled even worse guns here.

Back in the 60's the joke was that "RG" stood for Rotten Gun.

About the best that can be said of them is that when in new condition they'd go "BANG" when the trigger was pulled.
However, some people got years of good service out of some of them.

deputy
12-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I knew this "Gun" was a piece of junk. My father just bought a 32. Cal Rg for 200 U.S. Dollars. I went with him, when he went to look at it, and just knew something was off about this gun. (I also didn't like how heave it was and how you have to remove the cylinder pin to reload it.) I told him, several times, but he bought it anyway. I'll have to warn him about it throwing lead shavings, that wouldn't be good.

the RG's and such do have a place in the grand scheme of things...typically as a few rounds fired, then loaded and left in a drawer.....for years....until needed...if ever. it is cheap insurance for folks who really have no interest in guns but do want a little peace of mind and on a limited budget or do not want to spend a large amount on a firearm that will never fire more than a short box of shells in its lifetime.

There actually is a large market for such inexpensive firearms and an excellent example is the hi-points....a brand that folks either love or hate......i happen to think the hi-point is light years ahead of an RG in quality.

as for removal of the pin to remove the cylinder to eject the empties, the system is slow but works well and H&R of past years used that system quite effectively.....:up:

i actually miss the H&R's.....

sharps_74
12-08-2010, 11:53 PM
I agree they filled a space. Seems like every so many years somebody comes out with a low end pistol that does just that. Oh and welcome to the Ranch. Please stop by our new members area and greet the others. And please, do not be a stranger around here.

BULLMACK
12-10-2010, 12:27 PM
The only RG i ever had, got knocked off the table. Luckilely it fell next to the trash can. It was real easy to throw the pieces (3) of it into the trash.

lead
12-10-2010, 03:43 PM
I don't know how we got started on a 6 year old thread, but since we did------the last gun show I was at, I must have seen 4 or 5 RG 22's floating around the room. Oddly, 2 of them had either 8" or 10" barrels. I had never seen one before and there were 2 of them! Prices were about $199, which was way too high for me.

Old Soldier
12-10-2010, 03:54 PM
The RG's are nothing but JUNK

pistol pete
12-10-2010, 09:34 PM
I think everyone should own a POS once in their lifetime, I bought a RG DA 44 mag just over 30 years ago. I couldn't get rid of it fast enough, worst buyers remorse I've ever had.

Reddog
12-11-2010, 01:05 AM
I bought a used RIG 22 revolver for $5 back in the early 60s. Other than a couple 22 rifles, it was the first gun I ever owned. It shot alright for me. A couple years later I traded it for a .303 British MK IV. That one got me started reloading and casting bullets. It's been a fun ride!
Dick

bluedlightning
12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
RG-Real Garbage. Its even useless as a boat anchor or trot line weight. :cents:

Don357
12-13-2010, 10:09 PM
I think the best RG ever made was the model 66 which was a .22LR/.22Mag convertible western style single action. Not great, but much better than the ones you have to remove the pin to load. I have one of the 66's and had a snubbie DA years ago. I forget the model #.

If you enjoyed reading about "RG IND. Model RG 31 INFO" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!