Ruger M77

PDA
matthewdanger
02-18-2005, 07:55 PM
I picked up a sweety of a deal today! I was able to bring home a Ruger M77 in .30-06 with some Bushnell glass on it. The scope has to go, it is way to big for a rifle as compact as this.

Judging by the serial number is was made some time around 1984-85. It has the original 2 position tang safety. So it is not a Mark II, is this correct?

The stock has decent wood. There are some dings in the stock and it has a nice looking faux ebony end cap on the fore end.

It has a 22 inch barrel but that includes the muzzle brake (about 18.5 inches without the break). Which leads me to ask... was a muzzle brake ever a factory option on the M77? Any Ruger experts out there?

The barrel is shiny and the rifling is sharp. The trigger breaks like glass! I am very pleased. This little sweety is very trim and light. It felt downright sensual compared to the Savage 110 with a nasty synthetic stock I held right before it. You wouldn't believe me if I told you what I paid for it. :)

Any help on the muzzle break would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M77" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Plinker
02-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Congrats on you new rifle. :up: :up:

Don't think Ruger ever shipped any from the factory with a break on them.

Not really necessary on a 06 anyway and besides it's go'n to be a real bear as far
as muzzle blast with the short barrel and break.

Enjoy.

Bobby
02-18-2005, 10:00 PM
I dont know either ,but that sounds like a nice rifle.

Hook
02-18-2005, 10:06 PM
Ruger never put muzzle brakes on their rifles. That has to be an after market job.

Hook

Hook
02-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Almost all of my bolt action rifles are Rugers now and I've owned just about every brand of rifle out there. They're the best IMHO. :up:

Hook

BigBlue
02-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Hook,
I'd agree 100%! The Ruger Mark II has to be the best buy dollar for dollar, of any bolt made today. I just recently bought my second. I've owned Winchester 70, Remington 700 BDL, and Weatherby, but the Ruger has them beat.

Matt,
Good luck with your find!

Don

matthewdanger
02-18-2005, 11:12 PM
Thanks guys,

I found a few M77s on gunbroker with similard brakes, but not of them mentioned whether they were factory brakes or custom. I think Hook is right, it probably isn't from the factory.

Maybe I'll have the muzzle break removed and the barrel re-crowned eventually.

I think I'll send the serial number to Ruger. THey will give me the date of manufacture and original configuration for free according to the website. I wouldn't mind a 2005 catalog while I'm at it. :)

BigBlue
02-18-2005, 11:31 PM
Matt,
I wouldn't worry too much about muzzle flash. The last one I bought was the compact with a 16.25" barrel in .308 and I was told the muzzle flash would be horrendous. I never even noticed it when I shot it. I'd try it with the break, and see how you like it. If it shoots good, what the heck, leave it on, if not by all means remove it and recrown. Either way enjoy you new rifle.
Don

Popeye
02-19-2005, 12:30 AM
Your Ruger M-77 is not a Mark II. The muzzle brake was not a factory option. The brake should not bother you. Anyone standing near you when you fire the rifle will be deafened.

Congratulations on your new rifle.

matthewdanger
02-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Thanks Popeye,

I guess I'll just have to shoot it with the brake on there and then decide if I should keep it.

cheekser
02-19-2005, 01:07 PM
congrats! ....good to hear you finally stepped up from a .22 and got yourself a proper rifle ;)

matthewdanger
02-20-2005, 10:15 AM
The folks over at Rugerforum.com seem to think the the end cap is indeed from the factory though many folks with similar rifles don't have it.

And they all agree that the break is probably not from the factory.

matthewdanger
02-21-2005, 01:46 PM
Ruger Records Department says it is a M77RL made in Nov 1983.

So I was not yet 3 years old when it was made. :)

NAVSPEC
02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Some poeple love Ruger 77's, personally I hate them. I have owned 5 of them. All but
one of them were a big pain in the ass. It is damn near impossible to get one properly
bedded and free-floated and the trigger situation doesn't even require mention. The only one that shot inside of 1 MOA was the .308. The 223, 22-250, 243, and the 30-06
all shot what I would call patterns.I I spent a lot of $$ and time trying to get the damn things to shoot. I can't even try to count the endless handloads that I tried to get them to shoot. Ruger 77's don't win any matches and the Military won't even look at them. When somebody spends $5000+ and walks into Elk camp with a M77, I just shake
my head and walk away.

P.S. If I can't get a bolt rifle to shoot 1 MOA then it is GONE.
I have been able to get my 25-odd WIN & REM & Mausers to do that.
Not to be blunt, but If you are satisfied with mediocre accuracy then buy a
Ruger. If you want perfection then buy a WIN, REM or Savage. (I will put a
Savage up against a Ruger any day, any time and anywhere especially when
you want to compare $$ for $$ !!!).

cheekser
02-22-2005, 07:38 AM
ooohh...that was mighty scathing.

MATT: as it appears some custom touches have been done to this rifle already (ala trigger-job and muzzlebrake), have you taken the action out of the stock to see if it has been bedded?

....and beg borrow or steal a digital and get us some PICS!!!

Popeye
02-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Rugers are, and always have been, meat rifles. MOA is not necessary. Minute Of Mammal is necessary and they all shoot MOM.

Blammer
02-22-2005, 12:47 PM
Dogleg bolt handle & tang mounted safety, no iron sights, lightweight 22" barrel. My Groundsquirrel gun for shooting across canyons = kills em :up: With handloads, it shoots 3/4" groups at 100yds on paper and zaps the little varmints out to 150 - 200yds. Use 85gr Sierra HPBT's and have an old Redfield fixed 6X mounted on the rifle. I've packed it along on a couple of deer hunts in the Trinity Alps, but prefer it for varmints. :up:

matthewdanger
02-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, here are my latest plans for the rifle.

I am less than thrilled with the muzzle break so I think it has to go. I went into a gunsmith (Gander Mountain) located a block from work and he can cut and recrown the barrel for $40. My only misgiving is that I will only be left with about 18.5 inches of barrel, which is shorter than I would have liked. However, it ought to make a nice little brush rifle with a compact scope and the short tube.

For $190 the Gander Mountain will glass bed the action, cut and recrown the barrel, and cryo-treat the barrel. So I may go ahead and have all of that done at once or I may skip the cryo-treatment to save some money.

They said that they do not reblue the crown of the barrel after it is cut and that it is unnecessary. Is it ok to leave it in the white like that?

Also, I was able to tinker around with the trigger. I adjusted it down to what I would guess is a hair more than 3#. It is AWESOME. I have felt some terrible triggers on the M77 MarkIIs but this "Mark I" doesn't seem to suffer from "lawyer phobia."

HiPower
02-25-2005, 05:44 PM
I used to have a M-77 in 7MM Rem Mag. that would shoot 3/4 MOA with Winchester 175gr. PowerPoints. Nothing at all wrong with the trigger. Easier to adjust than a Rem. 700, too. For the money, nothing beats them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger M77" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!