Very OLD Single shot shotgun question.

PDA
Rabbi
03-14-2005, 11:06 PM
A friend of mine brought a shotgun receiver in to work tonight and asked me if I could find out its pedigree. I was heavily rusted before he sandblasted it. It needs a new barrel and firing pin.

It is a 12 gauge.

On the left side of the receiver is an engraved (rollmarked?) rooster with the letters "RUSO" inside the outline of the rooster. Above and to the left of the figure it says "H.S.B. & Co".

Below and to the right of the figure, it says "CHICAGO".

Inside, where the barrel swivel pin is located is a hand stamped S.N., 9**ED

Does anyone have a clue who made them and when?

T.I.A.

Rabbi

If you enjoyed reading about "Very OLD Single shot shotgun question." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Popeye
03-14-2005, 11:55 PM
It is the Hibbard, Spenser, Bartlett & Company. They are the originators of the Tru-Value line. It it CRUSO inside the rooster. They were a giant hardware store in Chicago from 1854 thru 1962. Many manufacturers provided their goods.

http://www.thckk.org/ovb-hist.html

Far down the page is the rooster label.

Rabbi
03-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Wow, thanks Popeye. You da man with the info for sure.

The receiver is vaguely reminiscent of the Winchester mod 37 in some ways.

I'm going to dig thru some Numrich tonight and see if maybe Winchester or Stevens or Fox or one of those look close enough. This guy's grampa died about 30 years ago and my friend found the gun up in the rafters. Somebody had sawed off the barrel to 19" and tried to cut the buttstock off and just stopped halfway thru. My friend says the buttstock looks like some amateur made it out of a pine 2x4".

He really wants to restore it because his granddad owned it.

Thanks again, my friend.

Rabbi

(Edited to add a question) By the way, the trigger guard has an integral screw at the front and the rear attaches with a regular machine screw. I know I've seen that integral screw before on an old shotgun, but can't remember where. Does that ring a bell to you? I'd like to see if I can determine who actually manufactured it and if parts are somehow still available. My (his) best hope is that this is a twentieth century shot gun and maybe if it came from one of the big names that parts are out there. He is a tool-and-die maker so he might be able to fab the firing pin. It's wierd, the firing pin is missing but the cross pin is still there in place.

Sam
03-15-2005, 05:30 PM
The pin was probably removed so it could be replaced and the cross pin replaced to prevent loss. Ocassionally a pin will break in such a way that both pieces can fall out.

Just how ratty is the barrel? Quite possible that it can be worked out to firing condition, expecially if it has been bobbed, that might leave enough meat to put some choke back in it. Shottys are pretty forgiving of bore dia. so reaming/honing out a few thousandths worth of pits can still be workable.

Sam

Old Soldier
03-15-2005, 09:12 PM
Rabbi, Post a picture of the shotgun. Right and left sides.

Jbar4Ranch
03-16-2005, 08:57 PM
I have a 43 page long trade name cross reference that gave me the following information:

Bartlett Field: Trade name used on shotguns retailed by Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and
Company of Chicago.

Blackfield: Trade name used by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlet and Company of Chicago on
shotguns they retailed.

Caruso: Trade name used by the Crescent Firearms Company on shotguns made for the
Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago.

Chicago: Trade name found on shotguns retailed by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and
Company of Chicago.

Cruso: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on shotguns made for
Hibbard, Spencer, Bartleft and Company of Chicago.

Gold Hibbard: Trade name used by Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago on
firearms they retailed.

Hudson: Trade name used by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago on
shotguns they retailed.

Liege Gun Company: Trade name used by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartleft and Company of
Chicago on imported shotguns they retailed.

Van Camp Hardware and Iron Company of Indianapolis, Indiana.
Newport: a) Trade name found on inexpensive pocket revolvers of unknown
manufacture.
b) Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on shotguns made for

Old Hickory: a) Trade name found on inexpensive pocket revolvers of unknown
manufacture.
b) Trade name used by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartleft and Company of
Chicago on shotguns they retailed.

Pittsfield: Trade name used by the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago
on firearms probably made by the H. & 0. Folsom Arms Company.

Rev-O-Noc: Trade name used by the H. & 0. Folsom Arms Company on firearms made for the

Victor Arms Company: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on firearms
made for the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartlett and Company of Chicago.

Victor Special: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on firearms made
for the Hibbard, Spencer, Bartleft and Company of Chicago.

Whippet: Trade name used by the H. & 0. Folsom Arms Company on firearms made for the

Popeye
03-16-2005, 10:21 PM
Cruso: Trade name used by the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company on shotguns made for
Do we have a winner?

Popeye
03-16-2005, 10:24 PM
H & D Folsom Arms Company seems to have been an importer of many firearms.

Popeye
03-16-2005, 10:59 PM
I did some more digging.
Cruso was a trademark used by the Crescent Arms Company, Norwalk, CT. It was in business from 1888 to 1931. In 1893 it became part of H. D. Folsom Arms Co. It was purchased by Savage-Stevens in 1935.

Here is a beginning:

http://www.faqfarm.com/Q/Crescent_Firearms_shotgun

Adolf H. Bubba
03-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Have it inspected by an armorer, ASAP!
If it's BP or semi-smokeless, you DONOT want to go shooting smokeless rds. through it!

If you enjoyed reading about "Very OLD Single shot shotgun question." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!