What the heck is a .223 "Wylde" chamber?

PDA
ski
11-12-2005, 03:26 PM
I just added a RockRiverArms Varmint EOP AR15 to my "EBR" collection.

While perusing the "specs" (18" SS .223 Wylde chambered barrel) made me do a double take.

I've got ARs with .223 "modified" chambers, (Allows safe use of 5.56 NATO) and .223 "Match" (strictly .223).

RockRiver also has .223/5.56 NATO chambered barrels. Prolly their version of the "Modified" chamber.

A "Wylde chamber" is totally new, to me.

?????

ski

If you enjoyed reading about "What the heck is a .223 "Wylde" chamber?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Blammer
11-12-2005, 04:18 PM
in their M15 target guns = the chambers allow for safe use of mil-spec M193/855 ammo in chrome-moly lined chambers. Check the SAAMI specs for Mil-spec vs. .223 case dimensions. :)

Fug
11-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeah Wylde is suppose to be kinda in-between SAAMI and MIL-SPEC so it allows you to use either/or and give you almost the accuracy of a real SAAMI when using the good ammo but also allow you to use cheap surplus ball ammo safely.

ski
11-15-2005, 04:08 AM
Thanks guys....

I tried to reply last night (Sunday), but lost the connection to FFF for some reason.

I wanted to tell youse that I had also e-mailed RRA with the same question.

I got a reply today (Monday).

Basically, they said the same thing. It was a compromise between 5.56 and .223 match.

"Jenny" replied to my e-mail and was very informative.

Two thumbs up to Rock River!! Except!! Who the heck wants a 9-shot plastic magazine with thier rifle?? Hey! c'mon RRA! Throw in a 20 or 30 rounder.... at least!

:P

Zircon
11-21-2005, 04:16 AM
Two thumbs up to Rock River!! Except!! Who the heck wants a 9-shot plastic magazine with their rifle?? Hey! c'mon RRA! Throw in a 20 or 30 rounder.... at least!

:P

At least mags are cheap for 5.56.

ski
11-23-2005, 03:38 AM
Zirc,

Yeah, I got a decent supply of 30 rounders.

Gonna get my dealer to order me one of those "Beta-C" double drum 100 rnd mags.

ROCK & ROLL!!!!!!!!

ski

Marinesg1012
11-23-2005, 04:10 AM
I have all kinds of 30's dont have a need for the drum yet plus it seems to be a pain to load but I have seen a guy in country with one.

ski
11-23-2005, 04:23 AM
Marine,

The Mag that I saw came with it's own "speed loader".

Don't know if it's worth the price ($242 msrp), but, hey! I'm spending my kid's inheritance!!

BWAHAHAHAHA!

ski

Zircon
11-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Adam, how does that Beta-C deal with all the fine dirt and dust? I would think it would get locked up tighter than a corkscrew unless the operator was super careful. The mag comes with a little plastic cover over the delivery end to seal it up, but I don't know how good the mag itself is sealed at the various joints. Besides, if you have the cover on it, it isn't locked into the magwell, and it isn't going to do you any good in that little Alice bag they provide you with.

I took mine over sage rat hunting for s_ _ts and giggles last year, and just to see how it worked. It's amazing to watch it swallow two boxes of ammo. It was a slow afternoon (too hot - rats were back down in their holes cooling down) and it took most of the entire afternoon before I had to reload. It's OK if your sitting down in one place working off a bipod, but that would be a heavy SOB to lug around if you had much walking to do.

Marinesg1012
11-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Zirc-
Honestly i dont know, the guy that was using it wasnt working with us, I think he was a brit I just saw him on one of the venues and was to busy doing my job to ask him. We cant use that stuff since we are working for the Dept of state and they restrict us to just what they use pretty much. All I can say is that personaly I have magpul followers and ranger tabs on all of my mags and I know that they work wonderfully, are better then the green follower? Most the time probably not but that one time that the green follower sticks, and I have had it happen in a none combat enviorment, is going to be the wrong time. So I use them. but as to the derability of the 100 rounders I cant say. The wieght alone is a reason why I wont use it, having just two mags cinched together makes the rifle wiegh more and my current job of a door gunner means I need to hold the rifle in one hand as I manipulate the door with the other (the armoured suburban doors wiegh in at about 350-450 pounds apiece, so the less wieght I can have on the gun the better.
but that is just me and maybe the other guy knows something I dont but I just think it is more for cool factor then anything else.

ski
11-24-2005, 04:39 AM
Hey! Hey! Hey!

You two guys got all this info on the "Beta-C", an ya leavin' me outta the loop???

So?? Should I spend the money? or are my cinched 30s good enough?

ski

Zircon
11-24-2005, 06:58 AM
Well, ski, ya know a carbine with the name "Rambo" just had to have a Beta C mag for the macho cache' of it all. So I got him one. I just question how reliable they are. There are 50 rounds that wind up nautilus shell-style into each of the two drums. There is a long guide arrangement that consists of several dummy rounds that preceeds the actual rounds. This slides down what looks like a nylon or other slick plastic guideway. When you get the mag they give you a tube of powdered graphite to help the mag digest that long column of cartridges and then regurgitate them all. I think if any dust or dirt gets down in that mechanism the mag would be hosed until it was taken fully apart, thoroughly cleaned, and re-lubricated with the graphite.

From a tactical standpoint, the mag probably only has a limited roll. I could see if one had a true M16 lower (fully automatic) with a bipod how one could have a fairly formidable light machine gun - but ya better be prepared to have a spare upper or two because launching a hundred rounds in rapid succession is going to make for a limp, scorched barrel. The mag is rather bulky and of course, loaded up you have the weight of the mag plus the equivalent weight of two 50 count boxes of ammo.

A lot cheaper alternative is to just get four 30 round mags and a couple of Mag-Cinch's to strap them together in pairs. That gives you 120 rounds, albeit you have to make three mag swaps along the way to get at all of them.

The one interesting feature is that the Beta C mags have basically the same body and mechanism, but different towers that fit into the various mag wells. The towers can be had separately, so one mag could be configured to fit your AR and your MP5 (if you just happen to own one of those) with the optional towers.

I got mine right after the ban sunset, but so did everyone else and it took about 3 months for the order to get fulfilled. Don't know what the wait is like today.

Marinesg1012
11-24-2005, 07:42 AM
Zirc I dont mag cinch mine either but again that is my personal preferance to have everthing be the same from mag one to mag 7. That way I dont have to try and remember to switch my mag to the other one and then drop it after I get through the first 60 rounds. If you trained that way it would be fine but most of us military folks trian with dropping or retaining the mags as you go and most guys with the mag cinchs or whatever have never trained to use them so I am willing to bet and have seen guys that have them go to do a mag change after thier irst mag and drop a loaded 30 rounder into the dirt and gone for one of the mags on thier bodies.
But again it is all personal preferance, and I have guys on my team that use them, heck we were issued one i just dont. it isnt right or wrong of course it is just me.

Zircon
11-24-2005, 07:48 AM
I noticed DPMS was advertising some 40 round mags. Anyone got any experience with them?

Everything I've heard about the Mag Pul followers has been positive. I've never had any problems with my green followers, so continue to use them. In your case, Adam, where you're trying to handle "the beast" single handedly I can see why you wouldn't want to have the extra weight, even from a pair of mags tied together. But I'm not doing anything tactical - just sittin' on my ass shooting sage rats out in the desert. :D I got all afternoon to switch from one mag to the next, so not a problem for me. If the little SOB's ever start shooting back, however, I'm gonna be a lot less relaxed about it all. :D

Marinesg1012
11-24-2005, 10:43 AM
I havent tried the 40's but I would be willing to, but when I am home I use my 10 rounders for most of my stuff since you can lie down and it not going to get in the way. the only reason I break out my 30's at home is to burn off rounds and to practice my reloads and such. but you can burn through aq lot of rounds in a little bit of time with a bunch of 30's loaded.

Like I said baout the followers, I really havent had any problems with the green ones but when I was unloading my mags to replace the followers they stuck a little, that may have been a million reasons why but i feel more confident that my little M4 is going to bark everytime and that is worth the money to me.

ski
11-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Marine,

I'm like you with the "shorty" 20rnd mags when I go to the range. And, the 10rndrs with the AR10..... They don't get in the way when "bench rest" shooting. The 30's are for stand-up shooting.

I'm gonna get one of those Beta-Cs.....with all the experiance we got with the Ruger rotory mags any probs are, most likely, easily fixable.

Prolly not necessary to have one, but, dang! They sure look KEWL!! AND! since the sunset..... UP YOURS KLINTOON!!!!

ski

Zircon
11-25-2005, 06:13 PM
They sure look KEWL!! AND! since the sunset..... UP YOURS KLINTOON!!!!
skiWe do think alike, ski. Those are the two reasons I used to buy mine. :D

Zircon
11-25-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm like you with the "shorty" 20rnd mags when I go to the range. And, the 10rndrs with the AR10..... They don't get in the way when "bench rest" shooting. The 30's are for stand-up shooting.When I'm in the field working over the sage rats, I've got the rifle up on the highest (27") Harris bipod. I shoot from a low, foldup beach chair, and the tall bipod levels the scope right at the eye. In that case I could have a 60 round mag hanging out the bottom.

When I'm at the range they have a silly rule that rounds must be loaded singly, not from a magazine. For the ARs I use a "Bobsled" which replaces the normal mags, but does not hang out the bottom at all. This works well for the benchrest shooting.

Marinesg1012
11-26-2005, 01:07 AM
That is a good reaosn to buy one Ski I was just saying I have had no personal experiance with it. let us know how it works out

ski
11-26-2005, 06:57 PM
Marine,

Oh yeah,

I'll be giving my "field test" report on it. :up:

If you enjoyed reading about "What the heck is a .223 "Wylde" chamber?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!