Rohm .38 Special

PDA
BigSwede
03-09-2006, 09:35 AM
Hey guys, a friend of mine sort of inherited (long story) a revolver, he is not a gun guy but is wondering if it worth anything. It is marked Rohm 38 spezial, and has been sitting in a leather holster since 1968 without being fired. It is fairly pristine, except the bluing has come off some of the edges where the holster was touching. The bore looks great to the naked eye. I would say it has barely been fired, if at all. So, is it:

A) worth anything
B) if not is it safe to plink with (hearing stories about Saturday night specials made by Rohm, but I don't think this is one of those...)

It seems OK to shoot, but I am not experienced with revolvers...

If you enjoyed reading about "Rohm .38 Special" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
7.62mmFMJ
03-09-2006, 09:40 AM
I googled it and found one for sale $100. I also found that Charles Manson has 2 of them :psycho:

Popeye
03-09-2006, 09:46 AM
Rule of thumb. If it says Rohm, destroy it.

Rohm may have made a good revolver. If they did I haven't seen one. Whenever a Rohm revolver wanders into the shop, we attempt to buy it for $5 - $10. We destroy every one. The majority on the ones I have destroyed were cheaply made. Many were unsafe to fire.

BigSwede
03-09-2006, 10:09 AM
I found one on Gunbroker that is close, it looks like this one except blued and the barrel is shorter.
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=44714285

Luckydog
03-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Look in the dictionary under "throw down". :D Just kiddin'. Hey, any gun is better than no gun. I used a realistic plastic toy Mod 28 to back off a mugger years ago. My mother had bought it at a garage sale and asked me to give it to a 10 year old neighbor. I still have it. (and a few real ones too)--Tom

budroe
03-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Try to trade it off on a better model. Maybe they'll give you $50 off in trade.

BigSwede
03-09-2006, 02:36 PM
Yeah, doesn't look like it is worth more than $125 at best. I'll take it to my gunsmith and see if he thinks it is safe to fire.

singleshot
03-09-2006, 07:30 PM
Those things were imported from somewhere.( I dont know where back in the sixtys or so. They were and are a completer POS. If you have a lake or river close throw the thing in.

Mike Weber
03-09-2006, 08:08 PM
They were made in Germany and very cheaply made. Maybe they will have one of those Gun buyback programs that the Liberals love so much, in your area and you can palm it off onto the liberal gun grabbers.

NT
03-09-2006, 11:05 PM
Even if it is a cheap gun, it still has value because it's a gun.

Guns are great barter ecomony goods. Buy it off your buddy dirt cheap and hold onto it.

If there's ever a national emergency, riot, or other SHTF situation, you'll be able to name your own price when your neighbors/ coworkers can't buy a gun.

...because the mayor signed some emergency suspension on commercial firearm and ammunition sales, (which has already happened several times during riots).

Lucky you, you'll just happen to have one for private sale, complete with holster, near mint.

BigSwede
03-10-2006, 09:14 AM
Heh, I might just do that if he is willing to sell it cheap, and my gunsmith gives it a clean bill of health.

Of course, in a SHTF scenario, I have plenty of guns/ammo already...no revolvers though.

papa g
03-10-2006, 09:32 AM
They were made in Germany and very cheaply made. Maybe they will have one of those Gun buyback programs that the Liberals love so much, in your area and you can palm it off onto the liberal gun grabbers.

there is no way in Hades that i would do that, it just gives the libs a warm fuzzy feeling. :down:

pru
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
Had a friend with one. He was burning up a bucket of 38 spec that had accumulated in the back of the gunshop he was working in for the brass when he touched off a 357 mag mixed in with the 38's. Said it kicked like hell and made a heck of a noise and when he opened it, out came a federal 357 case:censor: I tried it later, without the go boom part, and it would chamber a factory federal 357. If I were a betting man, I would guess a 125jhp since that whas what I always carried in my 586. He lived to tell and the gun still functioned. Who knew?

BigSwede
03-13-2006, 08:44 AM
Heh - "don't try this at home" ;)

FWIW my gunsmith says it is servicable but recommended against firing +P ammo with it...let alone .357 :psycho:

Nes
03-13-2006, 12:15 PM
I don't think I have ever had one in my hands or knew anyone having one. So I have no idea about what they are.

Jbar4Ranch
03-15-2006, 10:16 PM
I picked up a model 57 in .45 Colt some years back for a song. Surprisingly, it's amazingly accurate, and shoots to point of aim with 8.0 grains Unique and a 200 grain SWC. The barrel on this POS isn't even screwed into the frame straight, but it goes "bang" every time (as opposed to "KABOOM"), shoots where it looks, and they ain't calling me "One-eyed Lefty" yet. :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/jbar4ranch/RG57.jpg

Mike Weber
03-16-2006, 02:35 AM
Wasn't Rohm the parent company that produced all those RG revolvers back in the 50-early 80's?

NT
03-16-2006, 03:28 AM
Yes they were. They've been cited accordingly in "Kelley v. R.G. Industries, Inc., 497 A.2d 1143, 304 Md. 124 (1985)" (http://www.cs.cmu.edu/afs/cs/usr/wbardwel/public/nfalist/kelley_v_rgindustries.txt)
For example, R.G. Industries, Rohm's American subsidiary, has been called the nation's major producer of Saturday Night Specials. [footnote 21]

Mike Weber
03-16-2006, 03:41 AM
Yep I remember the RG revolvers. There was one even cheaper revolver being sold back in the 70's they were made by a company called Clerke and they sold for around $15.00 NIB. I believe they were made in Florida. They were offered in .22 LR and .32 S&W They had a brass cylinder and steel barrel liner the rest of the gun was made from pot metal. I once asked a police officer in a major southern city what he encountered most often as the most common crime gun. Without hesitation he said the Clerke .22 and .32 revolvers. They were the 1970's equivalent of the Hipoints and Lorcins of today.There were quite a variety of cheap german made pocket revolvers. I saw one a while back that had a loading gate similar to a Colt SAA and it was chambered in .32 S&W This one appeared to have been made back in the 1930's

roy sandefur
10-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I inherited a Rohm .38 snub-nose revolver
from my dad
and never had any trouble with it
fired a zillion +p rounds
nothing blew up
never misfired
no part of it made of pot metal--like the Clerkes
nothing rattles
I trust it, now--having fired it so many times
It's pretty solid

It was even more accurate than I expected
having never had a snubby before
and expecting the worse
(as long as you aim 18 inches below where you want the round to go
yes
but it's jump-up is consistent)

I could put all six, in a nice pattern, in an intruder's chest at any range he's gonna be--if he's in my house
(as long as I always aimed at his belly button)

that's what I need it for

Rohm's were imported from Germany and distributed from Miama, till 1968.
Since then, any one sold in America is manufactured in Miami

I believe my dad payed 79 dollars for this one, in the seventies
that was a fair amount back then

this one is called a model RG-40

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=36141
found this on the web
they say this line was pretty reliable
and they used twice as much steel in the RG-40 than they needed to

budroe
10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
I remember reading a gun test one of the gunrag writers did on an RG .22 back in the 70's. He said the little revolver was actually very accurate, compared well to some much more expensive revolvers. However, as he shot a couple hundred rounds of .22's through it, it literally came apart on him.

RC135
10-12-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think they're as bad as many say they are -- the later models, that is. I have a SA M66 in 22Mag and it's very nice. The earlier models were spotty at best, though.

Enjoy yours!

Old Soldier
10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
I had two gentleman bring in a RG .22 to have them fixed, and I still have them, it cost more to fix them than there worth. :D :D

Popeye
10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
I had two gentleman bring in a RG .22 to have them fixed, and I still have them, it cost more to fix them than there worth. :D :D
Yup!

Stevejet
10-18-2007, 02:02 AM
Yes! My first handgun was an RG Rohm & Son .22 single action with a .22 and .22 Magnum cylinder bought for $29.95 in 1971. Soft aluminum frame and steel screws (ugghhhh) but I stiil have it and it's fun to shoot and see where it may hit! It shaves lead at the forcing cone better than either of my Colt Peacemakers could ever hope to accomplish! It's a stimulating thing to shoot!

Popeye
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
"Stimulating", huh?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rohm .38 Special" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!