WARNING!! CZ semi-automatic shotguns

PDA
Popeye
04-27-2006, 11:05 AM
If you own/shoot a CZ Model 712 or a Model 720 semi-automatic shotgun, STOP USING IT!.

This week, two 712 shotguns have been returned to the shop BLOWN UP! It is a catastrophic failure. Neither of the shooters was seriously harmed but... Both guns were used extensively for trap shooting.

CZ USA was contacted, claims to "know" about the problem (telling me that these are NOT the only two guns with this problem) but has not yet issued a recall.

If you enjoyed reading about "WARNING!! CZ semi-automatic shotguns" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Nes
04-27-2006, 11:10 AM
Wow!!! I hope everybody reads this. BUMP

Marinesg1012
04-27-2006, 01:27 PM
well i mean it is only a shotgun blwoing up, no big deal :OMG:

Incitatus1
04-27-2006, 04:47 PM
If you own/shoot a CZ Model 712 or a Model 720 semi-automatic shotgun, STOP USING IT!.

This week, two 712 shotguns have been returned to the shop BLOWN UP! It is a catastrophic failure. Neither of the shooters was seriously harmed but... Both guns were used extensively for trap shooting.

CZ USA was contacted, claims to "know" about the problem (telling me that these are NOT the only two guns with this problem) but has not yet issued a recall.
Where did you read that? I own a CZ712 and I'm interested to learn more about this issue.

Thanks,
Inci

7.62mmFMJ
04-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Popeye repairs guns in a gun shop. He witnessed it apparently.

CZ, there as good as the big guys :rolleyes:

Popeye
04-27-2006, 08:34 PM
I didn't read it. I saw them. The shop has stopped carrying the CZ 712 and 720. We will not deliver sold guns. All of our stock is going back to CZ.

More later.

Popeye
04-27-2006, 09:59 PM
The boss is extremely conservative, therefore the above listed precautions. This is California, ya know.

I didn't get a chance to tear these guns down. All I did was see them. Forearm shattered. Bolt and receiver ring blown back into the receiver. Seems to be a failure of the gas system.

I have seen Remington 1100s fail the same way. It may be the nature of the beast. Still, two in one week...

As I said before, both guns were used as Trap guns. Many, many rounds fired. It could be that a part just got tired and let go. Truthfully, I've never had to get into a CZ 712 or 720 before so all I can do is speculate.

Marinesg1012
04-27-2006, 10:12 PM
think it is better to be too careful then not careful enough, especialy when you are dealing with exploding shotguns

Hook
04-28-2006, 08:48 AM
Expolding shotguns?
Are you sure they're not made by Glock? :D :D

Hook

BrockthePaine
04-28-2006, 11:36 AM
Can I get an exploding shotgun? I want to ask the Brady Bunchers to go hunting with me :lool: :lol: :P

7.62mmFMJ
04-28-2006, 11:48 AM
Expolding shotguns?
Are you sure they're not made by Glock? :D :D

The Big KB :D The Czech Republic is close enough to Gaston to be in the sphere of influence.

BrockthePaine
04-28-2006, 04:31 PM
The Big KB :D The Czech Republic is close enough to Gaston to be in the sphere of influence.
CZ shotguns are made in Turkey.

7.62mmFMJ
04-28-2006, 08:51 PM
I see an Islamic connection :D

combat effective
04-28-2006, 08:57 PM
I had given thought to a 720 at some point. Thanks for the heads up.

ChiefIceWater
05-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Made in Turkey or BY turkeys?

Popeye
05-02-2006, 01:17 AM
CZ America seems to think that a certain percentage of semi-automatic shotguns are destined to self destruct.

They are accepting all of our new and used stock back for credit. They will also accept any customer returned shotguns to/from us for credit. They are taking care of their customers.

We will continue carrying the CZ lines of pistols, revolvers, rifles and shotguns, less the Models 712 and 720. They do, generally, make high quality guns.

matthewdanger
05-02-2006, 06:45 AM
Maybe Gaston bribed them into making a few "handgrenades" to take the heat off of us Glock owners. :)

Incitatus1
05-07-2006, 03:33 PM
My email to CZ:

To whom it may concern:

Last October I had a firing incident with my CZ 712 caused by a broken firing pin. The pin broke and remained stuck in forward position. When I reloaded, the shotshell was pushed towards the chamber not by the face of the bolt but by the firing pin. The consequence was the shotshell went kaboom before entering the chamber, the shotgun was totaled, and my hand was burned and sore.

Believing it was an isolated incident I called your customer service telephone number and asked for an exchange. I asked the representative if other people had similar problems and he denied. I received the replacement shotgun (a CZ712 Magnum) two weks after the phone conversation.

A few days ago while browsing on an Internet gun forum I am a member of, I just read the following warning;

Quote:

CZ USA was contacted, claims to "know" about the problem (telling me that these are NOT the only two guns with this problem) but has not yet issued a recall...........I didn't get a chance to tear these guns down. All I did was see them. Forearm shattered. Bolt and receiver ring blown back into the receiver. Seems to be a failure of the gas system.

Link: http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=474339#post474339 (http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/showthread.php?p=474339#post474339)

End quote.

It just happens the member who posted the warning is also a gunsmith /gunshop employee so I assume he knows what he is talking about. His description of the two blown-up shotguns matches exactlly the shotgun that exploded in my hands. This is not an isolated incident, nor a coincidence anymore.

All I want is for CZ to come forward and address this problem by issuing a recall and replacing the bolt-firing pin assembly with a better one, made from a better material and less prone to failure.

I would really love to keep my 712 Magnum because I love the way it looks and the way it shoots. But I just don't feel comfortable anymore mounting that gun close to my face after knowing my bad experience is not an isolated incident.

Please let me know if you plan a recall for the 712 series in order to address this problem and when. If your company plans to do nothing, I'm afraid I will need do send back to you my 712Magnum for a refund and buy another shotgun from another manufacturer.

Best regards,

Nandu (Andy) Ionescu,
Downey, CA.

If you enjoyed reading about "WARNING!! CZ semi-automatic shotguns" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!