H and R Model 949

PDA
Ecclectigun
09-22-2006, 02:55 PM
The H&R Model 949 is a .22, 9 shot, double action revolver.

I got mine from a pawn shop for $50. The wood grip was painted with white paint. I sanded it off and rubbed linseed oil into it. Looks much better.

The gun is a fun lil can popper. The rear sight is fixed and the front sight is a big funky rounded ramp. It's a point and shooter. Aiming? It don't know what aiming is.

After many, many shots, the hand broke on mine. The hand is what moves out of the back of the frame and advances the cylinder when the trigger is pulled or hammer is cocked. I got a new one, but it was a lil different than the old one. The hand itself is shaped right, but there is a metal rod, about as big around as a #2 pencil lead, that comes off the back and goes down. On the original it was bent like a check mark. The new one was straight. What's broken on the old one is the tip of the hand, what does the advancing by pushing up on the back of the cylinder. Anyway, I bent it to the same shape as the old one. I got it back in, but it just doesn't work smoothly. Maybe I got the bend a lil wrong. Anyone ever fix one of these?

If you enjoyed reading about "H and R Model 949" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
ChiefIceWater
09-22-2006, 03:09 PM
You don't know what aiming is????? Maybe you shouldn't be messing around with firearms.

Ecclectigun
09-22-2006, 03:20 PM
I said: "It don't know what aiming is."

Tell it to the gun. The gun don't know what aiming is. The big rounded front sight isn't much use. I've tried it like an elevation sight, of sorts. Put the top of the front sight in the rear sight notch for really low shots, put the bottom of the the front sight in the notch for very, very high shots. Really, it just doesn't have good sights.

I know, you read 'it' as 'I'. :P

Blammer
09-22-2006, 06:17 PM
First gun I ever shot (Age 4, too little for a long gun, but I could wrap my hands around that big singlepiece target grip:D =1 shot & I was hooked on shooting for LIFE!):D :up:

*Excuse the threaddrift here;) * Anyway:

I had to replace the 'hand' on mine (Numerich Gunparts stocks spares for most of the H&R line), works fine again, but you have to do a custom fit to the new hand and the "pawl"= the wheelspoke-thingy on the back of the cylinder that the hand contacts to rotate the cylinder for each shot:) The pawl may be worn enough to throw the cylinder timing off with a new hand installed. Check the 'spokes' & if they appear chewed up, replacement may be the answer instead of numerouis tweaking sessions;) ....... Just an FYI, hope it helps:D
The sights??? = if you shoot this plinker enough, you'll learn where it shoots:) ENJOY!!!:up:

papa g
09-22-2006, 11:25 PM
also over time gun makers may make minor changes. Numrich emphasizes that in their catalog, so you may not have gotten just the right part even though you asked for an H&R hand.

Rookie_Rover
10-16-2006, 04:06 AM
The 949 is a nice gun, only it has a little plastic piece that the hammer spring seats into at the base of the hammer. On our 949 this peice has broken. Just a little heads up.

I agree, they do make aiming a little tough, but the fact is, no two guns shoot the exact same way. With the 949, just a little practice, and you can be putting out one hole groups at 10 yards easily. (Ours typically shot about two inches low and slightly right in anyones hands, yours may hold a similar habit.) :D

If you enjoyed reading about "H and R Model 949" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!