tough, chewy, rubbery shrimp?

PDA
knecktieman
01-21-2007, 08:10 PM
I went to a chinese buffet, and had two differnt things from the buffet with shrimp in them. Both dishes the shrimp was very tough and chewy. I do not cook shrimp often, but at the price of shrimp I would hate to ruin any. Can anyone tell me what causes shrimp to end up this way? Cook to hot? Cook too long? Cook to cool? Not cooked long enough?

If you enjoyed reading about "tough, chewy, rubbery shrimp?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Antlurz
01-21-2007, 08:12 PM
Simply were cooked too long. You need to watch them closely while cooking. The minute they go from translucent to opaque, they are done. Any more and they begin to gradually toughen up...

The ones you are talking about probably sat in a warmer for a while, and continued to slowly cook.

I'm constantly slapping my bride around the kitchen. She likes the conveinence of precooked shrimp, and then complains that they are like rubber. I insist on cooking them myself. The precooked ones are cooked to eliminate any possibility of any being underdone. Consequently, they are almost always overdone.

Ron

Rabbi
01-21-2007, 08:39 PM
Always buy RAW fresh shrimp. Peel and devein them yourself then boil for 60 seconds in water flavored with lime juice and peppercorns or saute in butter for one minute and flip over for one minute until slightly opaque. Perfect texture.

The tough shrimp you ate were cooked far too long.

Mike Weber
01-21-2007, 08:56 PM
Good posting Willy:
Works with crawdads too.

Antlurz
01-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I like to vary the cooking method too. I like to saute them in butter with a fairly liberal application of garlic powder mixed in the butter. Another delightful change is to steam them. Use half a cup of vinegar and half a cup of water and add a tablespoon or more of Old Bay crab boil to the liquid. One cup of liquid is more than enough to steam them with, and 3 to 5 minutes later, you're in for a treat. When I do them that way, I sometimes leave the shells on till they are done. The shells add a nice addition to the flavor, if you don't mind hulling them after they are cooked instead of before... The price of shrimp has dropped quite a bit here in the past few years, and buying them once in a while isn't nearly as painful nowdays.

Ron

ladder51
01-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Shrimp Scampi

3/4 pound medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
6 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon green onion, minced
1 tablespoon olive oil
5 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons lemon juice
teaspoon salt
teaspoon lemonherb
2 tablespoons parsley, minced
cup white wine
seafood flovored bread crumbs
Pat shrimp dry with paper towels; set aside. Melt butter in a wide frying pan over medium heat. Stir in green onion, oil, white wine, garlic, lemon juice ,lemon herb and salt; cook until bubbly. Add shrimp to pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp turn pink (4 to 5 minutes). Stir in parsley, bread crumbs

serve over Angelhair or rice

serves 2

Kat
01-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Peel and eat....boil them (briefly...they do cook fast, as has been mentioned) in beer...with some red pepper flakes. Yum.:D

Also, where the shrimp come from can have an effect on the texture and taste. I still think Gulf shrimp are the best, with those from Argentina being a close second. :up: They are hard to find tho, at least out here.

MaidMarian
01-22-2007, 09:38 AM
Thanks y'all, now I have a craving for shrimp. :D

OFallon
01-22-2007, 09:44 AM
Now, I'll throw in a warning on the reverse side - since most of you don't live anywhere near the shrimping fleet.

If you cook up your shrimp and they are soft and mushy - throw them out. Shrimp do not have to "smell" to be bad and, unlike a lot of seafood, the can harbor both salmonella and botulism.:down:

I like peel and eat shrimp boiled in Zataran's boil mix. Plain, simple and yummy! :up:

If you enjoyed reading about "tough, chewy, rubbery shrimp?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!