Beretta Stampede VS Ruger New Vaquero

PDA
Sir Knight
02-19-2007, 08:01 PM
Now that the New Ruger Vaquero is no longer built like a tank, is there an advantage to it over the Beretta Stampede? Local gunshop is selling both for about the same price.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Stampede VS Ruger New Vaquero" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Mike Weber
02-19-2007, 08:15 PM
If they are selling for about the same price I would go with the Ruger. A couple years ago I saw a pair of new Beretta Stampedes with 51/2 barrels in .45 Colt and I was thinking about buying them for CAS, At that time they were selling for $349.00 each with the Ruger Vaquero's selling for about $100.00 more. Rugers are easier to get aftermarket parts for and Ruger warrenty ans customer service in my experience has been excellent. The Beretta's looked and felt like nice revolvers in the hand but even with the redesign of the Vaquero the Ruger is still designed to take a lot of abuse I know some CAS shooters who put 50,000+ rounds per year through Rugers and the Rugers are the only ones that seem to hold up well under this kind of use. They are also easier to get custom work done on them and rebuilds as there are more shops that work on them.

Mike Weber
02-19-2007, 08:19 PM
The new ones just aren't built to take the high pressure loads that the old ones could handle. The new ones are more than capable of handling reasonable self defense loads you don't need .44 mag/.454 Casull like velocities for those applications, and the lighter CAS and target loads.

Joe B.
02-19-2007, 08:46 PM
Just my opinion.

Since Beretta bought up Uberti, they ordered Ubertis modified to a transfer bar safety system for their higher level name sales. (Those still sold as Uberti have the original design). A new feature for them, but old hat for Ruger who perfected that design long ago. And even though the "new" Vaquero is designed with standard loads in mind, Rugers are still overbuilt, tough, smooth, fantastic guns. Uberti is still using a design and specifications true to over a century ago,with only the improvements in metallurgy that time has brought us, not improvements in design. Ruger improved on the old design. I am happy to own an "old style" Vaquero. :)

Mike Weber
02-19-2007, 09:29 PM
Actually the Stampedes aren't just a remake of the Uberti Cattleman with a transfer bar addded they are a new revolver entirely, They are nice guns, but overall The Vaquero is a much more solid design.

Joe B.
02-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Look at the name stamped on the underside of the barrel, where Uberti has been hiding their name for years when marketed under someone elses name, it is a revamped Uberti, and a new side step in their manufacuring process. Just like the New Model Blackhawk was a revamp of the three screw Blackhawk. The difference being Ruger did it a long time ago and did it better from day one, not as a recent corporate PC liability decision. We are in agreement that the Vaquero is the more solid design by far. I sell Ubertis and Rugers. I own a Ruger. I do not own a Uberti. Don't plan to either. Even if it is one that has Beretta's name on it. I am a fan of sphaghetti westerns, not so much of spaghetti guns. Uberti made cheap knock off copies of other peoples gun designs ever since those westerns were all the rage. Up until Berreta/Benelli/Franchi/Stoeger/Uberti Corp started finally marketing Ubertis under their own name there hasn't been one that didn't bear someone elses name on it and theirs tucked away where you might never notice it. That really speaks of pride in manufacturing to me. Not. :)

Popeye
02-19-2007, 11:18 PM
We were selling Uberti firearms, branded by Uberti, for years before the company was purchased by Beretta.

Popeye
02-19-2007, 11:29 PM
I found this online.

When in the 1970s Colt started to release their so-called second generation cap & ball revolvers they marketed them as real original Colts, as opposed to the commonly availlable replicas. In reality - since Colt didn't have the necessary tooling any longer - all the parts were made by Uberti and then shipped to the USA to be assembled by Colt.

http://www.westernshooters.co.za/uberti_factory_visit.htm

Rabbi
02-19-2007, 11:47 PM
I have to sell a BUNCH of guns in the next six months for a variety of reasons. Among the reasons are that most I cannot any longer use due to severe physical limitations brought on by the complications of rheumatoid arthritis. I am going to sell some modern, powerful assault rifles, some military hardware and some wrist-twisting handguns that combine power and lightness that make them impractical for me to own, especially when there are gunners out there in the field who make them usable.

After careful consideration, which is what is taking me so long, I will list them here for my bros and sisters at FFF to get first dibs, and I will sell thru Rotty, one of our resident FFL dealers.

I have reconsidered my selling my .45 Colt revolvers and I will be looking for purchase or trades for a Ruger Blackhawk Convertible in .45acp/.45Colt in 4-5/8" or 5-1/2" barrel blue steel and a 3-1/2" barrel Bird's Head Vaquero in either blue or matte stainless.

The new generation light frame Blackhawks don't interest me. I want the old muscle guns that I can load hot and still control recoil.

Wayne the Shrink
02-20-2007, 06:18 AM
When Colt decided that it would no longer make it's older designs they sold all the tooling and guages for those designs. Uberti bought it all. If you want a Colt P model or black powder model, buy Uberti. They are made on the same equipment and with the same guages. Just know what you are getting, the design is the same.

If you enjoyed reading about "Beretta Stampede VS Ruger New Vaquero" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!