New (old) H&R .32

PDA
islandpiper
04-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I just bought a SLIGHTLY used H&R .32, six-shot from a local dealer. I liked the size, caliber, feel, condition, price, etc, but really don't know anything about the heritage and record of this little revolver. Can anybody fill me in? Suggestions for holsters, ammo etc will be appreciated.

Thanks, Islandpiper

If you enjoyed reading about "New (old) H&R .32" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
OFallon
04-18-2007, 03:43 AM
I would need a picture or model number, but I'll tell you that H&R and Iver Johnson go way, way back and at one time were a very popular gun. There are tens of thousands of these guns still around and still functional. Make sure to have a smith check it out before firing, if for no other reason than its age. ;)

lead
04-18-2007, 05:57 AM
Is it an old .32S&W, or a newer .32H&R magnum? The dealer should have gone over alot of this with you, but holsters for small frame revolvers shouldn't be too hard to find.
If you can post pics, it would help. Thanks.

islandpiper
04-18-2007, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the fast info guys.

My side-kick was armorer for the local Sheriff's Dept and looked it over well......felt the action as it clicked over, wiggled everything and approved of it. I'll get a picture or two up ASAP. Headed to the hospital in 24-hours for a new (slightly used) cornea in my left eye. Finally have decent vision in my right......getting younger all the time.

Piper

Hammerdown
04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
Hi
If it is an Older H&R Revolver Like other responders said, it is more than Likely a .32 S&W Long Caliber. The S&W .32 Long is a very Old Cartridge that was once used by many Police Agencies due to it's Potential of accuracy. It is a rather Mild cartridge about 750-850 FPS if factory loaded and all the ammo today available is mostly be Lead round Bullets, Semi Wadcutter along with Full Wad cutters. Anquilla ammo is real reasonable if buying Factory Loads at about $9.00 a box Per 50 in my neck of the woods. It is a very Mild report and low recoiling cartridge which is an excellent way to Build your Ten ring scores without the sharp recoil and report that larger calibers diaplay. S&W once made a revolver for The Police Departments in their Famous .32 S&W Long cartridge and this model was called The Regulation Police. It was an I frame revolver which was very Popular Back in the Early to late 1920's. I have a nice example in one, shown below which shipped to Chief Harry Anderson of the Evansville, Indiana Police department back in 1926. It is very accurate and Fun to shoot for the reasons I mentioned, it makes and excellent confidence builder. If this H&R Revolver is one of their Later ones made in the Very Mid to late 1980's it could be a caliber named after their suggestion of building one and taken up by Federal Ammuntion called the .32 H&R Magnum. This round is much more Potent than the Original .32 S&W Long caliber and can be compared in size & Velocity difference as the .38 Special to the .357 Magnum. This round is around 1000-1100 FPS on average, and I believe Federal is the Only one making cartridges for it. They are a bit Pricey and I can't tell you what they cost at this time as I reload all my .32 H&R magnum rounds. S&W also made a Handgun chambered in this .32 H&R magnum round shown below which is a model 16-4 in the very Early 1990's. I have expanded & Experimented much on this round being that I Hand load, and have approached the same velocity of a .357 magnum. The Fact of the Matter is, that if your revolver is chambered in this round I would Not suggest loading it very hot as the H&R revolver has been said not made to Handle Hot Loads in this round, and many have said this is why Federal loads it on the Meak side. It too Like it's smaller brother the .32 S&W Long is a very accurate cartridge that did not receive a very welcome note with the Hand Gun crowd. The reasons have been said that because H&R went Bankrupt shortly after this cartridges Unveiling it Killed the Popularity of it. It has also been said because this round was Loaded on the soft side for a magnum round many felt that a .38 special could do about the same job, which is very true in Factory Loads but not even close if handloaded. I happen to Like both rounds, and will be very interested in Learning if your revolver turnes out to be a standard .32 S&W round Load or the Hotter .32 H&R magnum. Congratulations on a fine Little revolver, and if it is a .32 H&R magnum caliber they are few and far between these days and should be taken care of Like a Prized revolver. I would Love to add a Rarely seen H&R .32 H&R Magnum revolver to my .32 Caliber collection some day.Holsters should be available for your revolver. I found the used one shown for my rather small Regulation Police at a Gun show for $5.00. I also have much Load information on hand for both caliber's should you be a handloader I can Point you in the right direction with many loads I have tried in both calibers, and below is the results from a Hand-load I worked up for the .32 H&R Magnum round using the S&W model 16-4 revolver above. Best regards, Hammerdown

S&W Regulation Police made in December 1925

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/PICT0004b.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/PICT0016b-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/PICT0012c-1.jpg

S&W Model 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF5795.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF5793.jpg

Target results from .32 H&R handloads 25 Yards

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF0415.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/DSCF5584.jpg

islandpiper
04-18-2007, 10:48 PM
OK........now I must drop some pictures into this thread as mine does not look like these.......Hmmm.......just as soon as I get back from the hospital and back to the shop....my H&R is in the top drawer of my bench, since "ya just never know......"when you might need it.

Thanks for all the info. If memory serves me, mine is clearly stamped H&R not S&W and also says either "long" or "Magnum". I'll be back in the shop on Saturday unless something goes very badly tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Piper

Popeye
04-18-2007, 10:56 PM
I'd guess it is chambered in .32 long.

OFallon
04-19-2007, 04:11 AM
H&R Topbreak...

http://www.gunsinternational.com/listing_images/100000220-2-l.jpg

lead
04-19-2007, 05:27 AM
Best of luck to you with the hospital visit.

Hammerdown
04-19-2007, 08:35 AM
OK........now I must drop some pictures into this thread as mine does not look like these.......Hmmm.......just as soon as I get back from the hospital and back to the shop....my H&R is in the top drawer of my bench, since "ya just never know......"when you might need it.

Thanks for all the info. If memory serves me, mine is clearly stamped H&R not S&W and also says either "long" or "Magnum". I'll be back in the shop on Saturday unless something goes very badly tomorrow.

Thanks!!

Piper

Hello Islandpiper
I did not mean to confuse you with showing my S&W's as I know the H&R Revolver's Look very different. I was juust showing you what I had in Both calibers and enjoy shooting. ;) The .32 H&R Magnum is one of my Favorite rounds, and it is a shame it did not get a very warm welcome when released in the Mid 1980's.:( If you have a revolver chambered in it, it is almost certain you will have to load for it, as it is Pricey to buy and hard to Locate. I hope this helps, and I am Looking forward to seeing your H&R revolver. :up: Hammerdown

islandpiper
04-24-2007, 09:09 PM
Back from eye-ball hell....and I mean that......Five pricedures in just over a week.....four of them under sedation or general anestesia and one with my lovely wife gripping my hand. youch.

OK, I don't know how to post pics, so one of you vetsw might be able to help. Here are the links:
http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/DSCF0005_1_1.jpg

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/DSCF0006_1_1.jpg

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/DSCF0009_1_1.jpg

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/DSCF0010_1_1.jpg

I have a good shot of the SN and can PM it to someone who can help date the firearm, but really don't wish to just open-post the number.

Just wondered when the piece was made? for general sales or law work? any glitches or things I should know? Thanks!! Piper

Popeye
04-24-2007, 10:22 PM
H&R Model 732, chambered in .32 S&W.

Its not worth much money.

islandpiper
04-25-2007, 08:06 AM
Popeye, whew, that's a relief....thought I had some treasure I'd have to buy special insurance for...heh heh heh. Actually, didn't pay much money for it...more concerned about it'a ability to punch holes if the need arises. thanks, Piper

Popeye
04-25-2007, 10:04 AM
I'd say it was manufactured in the late 1950s or early 1960s. I'd place its value between $75 and $100. Commercial .32 S&W loadings have the reputation of being rather anemic. Of course, in an unfortunate social situation I'd imagine that a few .32 S&W rounds could discourage an agressor.

Hammerdown
04-30-2007, 06:47 PM
Hello
I just got a Private Message from a member that Lives very close to The Evansville, Indiana where my 1925 S&W regulation Police revolver {SHOWN ABOVE} was sent from the Factory Direct to the Evansville, Police Chief Harry Anderson. I did contact the Evansvile, Indiana Police department and asked for any Information they had on Chief Anderson and they sent me this in Two seperate E-mails. I hope you find it as entertaining as I did. Regards, Hammerdown

Here is the historical information on Harry Anderson with the Evansville Police Department. He served as Chief from 1926 to 1928.
If I can be of any other assistance, please let me know.
Sgt.Richard Hubbard
In March 1926, Nolte was hospitalized with a nervous breakdown and voluntarily took a demotion to detective, stepping down as chief in favor of Harry Anderson on March 29, 1926. Nolte continued as a member of the department until his retirement in 1931. Nolte died in 1933. Nolte's 3-month term as chief was the shortest in the history of the police department.
Harry Anderson

Harry Anderson, the 23rd chief of police, was born in Warrick County. He became active in the Republican Party. He joined the department on November 24, 1916. Prior to joining the department, Anderson worked as a bartender. He was promoted to motorcycleman on January 7, 1918. Anderson was a member of the Evansville Police Relief Association committee that published the book "A Souvenir History of the Evansville Police Department" in 1918.

In 1919, Anderson resigned and became a car salesman. In January 1921, County Clerk Frank Grange appointed Anderson a deputy in the county clerk's office. When the Republicans took control of city hall in January 1926 Mayor Herbert Males appointed William Nolte as his choice to replace Democrat-appointed Ira Wiltshire in the chief's position. After 3 months in the chief's office, Nolte suffered a nervous breakdown and took a voluntary demotion to detective. Anderson returned to the police department after an absence of 7 years as Mayor Males's choice to replace Nolte in the chief's position.

Anderson remained Chief of Police for 33 months. The City Council launched impeachment proceedings against Chief Anderson, License Inspector Benjamin Bartlett, and members of the Board of Public Safety in September 1928. In the 1928 county elections, he was elected county clerk. In late December 1928, Anderson submitted his resignation as chief. The text of Chief Anderson's letter of resignation read as follows:

"Honorable Herbert Males and Board of Safety. Having been elected Clerk of the Vanderburgh Circuit Court the past election and as this term of office begins January first, I hereby tender my resignation as superintendent of the police department to take effect January 1, 1929."

Chief of Detectives Edward Sutheimer was appointed to fill the chief's position for the remaining year of Mayor Males' administration.

aoladp://MA14588260-0001/Image3.gif
Evansville Police Department
Sergeant Richard Hubbard
15 N.W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, Indiana 47708
(812)436-4953 Fax (812)436-4957
E-Mail: rhubbard@evansvillepolice.com

This should help you out some more.
When Anderson resigned, he had served a total of 6 years as a member of the police department. The department's 8-year experiment with a mounted patrol began in 1927 during Chief Anderson's administration. Anderson ran for county clerk again in the election of 1932. The Roosevelt-Democratic landslide of 1932 buried Anderson, like his fellow Republicans. After losing the election, he returned to the trade that he had practiced before joining the police department in 1916, working as a bartender. In 1935, Anderson became a milkman. Later in life, he bought a dairy farm in Warrick County. After failing to make that enterprise profitable, he sold it. Anderson then moved back to Evansville, living at 209 First Avenue. He was appointed a Vanderburgh County deputy sheriff. He served as a guard at the Evansville Waterworks during World War II. In 1945 he moved to 26 East Chandler. He died on December 12, 1946. His wife’s name was Bertha and he had one brother whom lived in California.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Tuesday, October 17, 2006 9:58 AM
To: Hubbard, Richard
Subject: Re: Info on Chief Harry Anderson

Dframe
04-30-2007, 07:11 PM
That is GREAT historical stuff Hammer. If I were you I would continue my research on anderson to see what else you can find. You have the makings of a really cool article. The Colt Collectors Association's magazine publishes historical accounts like this about people who owned and used Colt guns. I'd be willing to bet something like it exists for S&W fans.

Hammerdown
04-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Hello Weaverick
I have about got as far as I can on Harry Anderson, But will continue to Look for the book he Published to see if there is More information. It halps getting a High ranking officers gun when doing a background chech. He carried the revolver shown in a flap Holster while riding a Motorcycle in the Police force back in 1925. I would Love to have a Picture of him on his Bike, and will keep trying to Locaste one. Regards, Hammerdown

Piper
07-08-2007, 05:21 PM
You guys are so polite....when I first posted this I thought I heard some quiet chuckling, but no real obvious laughter.....Thanks. Well, now I understand better. I finally got it out to the range and got it good and dirty last weekend.......yes, it functions and does everything it should, both single and double actiion shooting. However, in double the hammer spur is high enough that it conflicts with the sight picture. Took my Ruger .38 Spc out at the same time and had no similar problems. Guess I'll reserve the .32 for snake shooting, it will make smaller holes in my boat when they drop in out of the trees!!

Thanks for not coming right out and calling me crazy when I bought it!!

Cheers, Piper

Dframe
07-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Not a chance. I have in old H&R that a good friend gave me. It isn't exactly pretty but it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. It's a great plinking gun.

Hammerdown
07-11-2007, 07:06 AM
Not a chance. I have in old H&R that a good friend gave me. It isn't exactly pretty but it goes bang everytime I pull the trigger. It's a great plinking gun.

Hello Weaverrick
I recently picked up a Vintage model 30 S&W Snubby in .32 Long. It has 6 shots over the Model 36 in .38 special which is 5, and had an Ugly duracoat finish. I am carrying this daily so the duracoat finish is Perfect for this, without worry of Mauling a nice Blued or Nickel finish. Regards, Hammerdown

opsboss
07-11-2007, 12:50 PM
Here's my .32 H&R. 1886-87 1st model (dual ejector guide rods), chambered for .32 H&R (a BP cartridge also known as the .32 Merwin & Hubbard).

Best, Ops
http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7534&d=1180388908

If you enjoyed reading about "New (old) H&R .32" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!