lesee who can guess what it is.

PDA
maxiball
05-26-2007, 10:08 PM
She a single shot bolt action.
When you give up, if you do, I'll give details.
It's in my safe, gave 100 bucks fer it.

She's French military.
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jeager106/French1874008.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jeager106/French1874006.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y217/jeager106/French1874002.jpg
Where can I get some 11mmX59mm ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "lesee who can guess what it is." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Bill Sanders
05-26-2007, 10:40 PM
That looks to be, possibly, an 11 mm, Chatelleraut M1784/80. If so, it looks in good shape, and only fires a blackpowder cartridge.
Could also be a Lebel M1886, also manufactured for the French in Chatellerault.

Popeye
05-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I believe that Bill's first choice is correct.

For ammo, talk with my brother, "Wayne the Shrink". He wanders in here from time to time.

maxiball
05-27-2007, 10:16 AM
The rifle dates back to 1873 and it is an 11mm X 59mm Frenchie single shot bolt action with a very good bore.
I gave a hun'ert fer it just 'cause it was for sale.
I'd love to shoot the thing.

Wayne the Shrink
05-27-2007, 09:39 PM
And here I am without my references. Let me go upstairs and get them!

OK, 11x59 French would be the 11x59Rmm French Gras/11x59mm Vickers.

"This French cartridge was adopted in 1874 for the Gras single shot rifle, a metallic cartridge, breech-loaded conversion of the Chassepot needle gun. This was the first modern French military cartridge. Many Remington Rolling Block rifles were chambered for the 11mm Gras and these, along with the Gras rifle, were used extensively in the Balkans and French colonial areas. Remington loaded this cartridge at one time. The Japanese purchased and used many of the Gras-modified rifles and the 11mm Gras Cartrige." (from COTW 10th.)

It is a necked cartridge of .43 calibers. The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions says "Make From: .348 Winchester. Anneal case neck and taper expand to .450" diameter. Lathe turn base to .544" diameter. Build rim thickness to .08". F/L size. Square case mouth and chamfer. Fireform."

Good luck finding reloading dies. I'd suggest taking a chamber cast - Cerrosafe from Brownells - and sending it to Pacific and see what they say.

It is a black powder only type of proposition. Yes, you can safely use some light smokeless loads, but why bother? She was made for the Holy Black and cast boolits, so use her as she was intended.

For more information go to castboolits.gunloads.com and talk to Buckshot. He and a couple others there have done some major cartridge work. Much more than I.

Wayne the Shrink
05-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Oh, and boolits aren't a hopeless task, either. NEI makes several molds in .439 diameter and they will cut the mold to any depth you want. Check them out at neihandtools.com. They are probably not the only option for .439 diameter molds, just the one I know.

maxiball
05-27-2007, 09:49 PM
Yup, yer spot on!:up:
Ammo can be had for the princely sum of 60 bucks for 20 rounds loaded with black of course.
Dies are not needed at all if one fires the cases in the same rifle.
Molds are available.
Cases are reformed from .348 Win. brass.
I should oughta get 20 rounds and a mold.
I have 40 pounds of black.
Thanks for the invaluable information!;)

Rob
06-20-2007, 12:46 PM
It's the gun Bank sold ya.

My prize?

sharps_74
06-21-2007, 05:27 AM
I'm too late to take a shot at what it is. I'd just like to say, VERY NICE WEAPON!!! If you take it out for a shoot,please let us know how it does.

If you enjoyed reading about "lesee who can guess what it is." here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!