FI Industries

PDA
Brian45
01-14-2008, 06:35 PM
Anyone hear of a FI Industries of Washington DC that would have made a Colt Mustang look alike called a Model D in .380 caliber?

I bought one tonight with a spare mag that resembles my Colt Mustang closely other than a slightly longer barrel and mag/grip lenght. It also has a lanyard loop on the butt which a Mustang lacks.
It also has a barrel bushing and movable barrel link as a true 1911 which the Mustang also lacks.
My dealer has had it for some time and I've looked at it before but it was just crying out to me today you know.:)

Of course a NAA Guardian .380 like new was right next to it and would have been lonely so they both came home with me.:D

I guess I'm into a pocket autoloader mode right now. First the Colt Mustang, Colt Junior and now these. At least they won't take up much room in my safe and I did buy .380's ammo on clearance awhile back.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "FI Industries" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
CA357
01-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Congratulations Brian. It's always a good thing to give a stray a home.

res
01-14-2008, 09:53 PM
Yup, as long as those strays don't have fleas they can be great. Of course, a good dip and scrub will knock out a lot of fleas as well. You still trying to help Bullocks stay in business?:D Congrats on the gun. Let us know how it shoots. If my 2003 firearms catalog is correct, that would be Firearms International of Washington DC. They were importers of the Star model D. They do not show any guns under their name. Rick

Popeye
01-14-2008, 10:08 PM
This is all I have found.

In the 1960s and 1970s F.I. manufactured and imported various pistols, rifles, and shotguns, including AYA, Astra (mostly Star D models), Bronco (.22 LR cal. single shot rifles and .410 bore single shot shotguns), FN Supreme Mauser bolt action rifles, Iver Johnson Pony handguns, Rossi .22 cal. rifles, Sako rifles, Star pistols, and Unique pistols and rifles. This company was absorbed by Garcia during the early 1970s.

1974 Garcia Firearms International, Maryland, Introduction of the "Colt Pony", 380 Automatic pistol.

Brian45
01-15-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for the support of my bad habit of buying guns, At least the resale might be better than a used set of golf clubs.:)

Popeye,
Thanks for that info as it matches some I've been able to dig up myself. I had read one claim that they made the original Colt Pony for Colt at one time. It does seem of good quality and maybe too Star had a hand in it too as you mention.
I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Rick,
Yes Bullocks is still doing well in the gun business in part to my dealings there.:)
I hadn't been in there since deer gun season and was asked yesterday if it was me that shot himself in the leg with a .44 deer hunting. I told them no it was my namesake but I'd been asked that alot since.
They were concerned enough they called the house but didn't leave a message. I guess they were concerned about a large loss of business maybe?:D

Popeye
01-15-2008, 12:42 AM
I have been told by a man who's knowledge is impressive that Star did indeed make the Colt Pony.

CA357
01-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Can you get us a picture Brian? I'd like to see that rascal.

Brian45
01-15-2008, 05:26 AM
I guess I had always assumed everything Colt was made by them but I'm learning that isn't so as my Colt Junior was made by Astra of Spain as well.

I'll get some pictures up as soon as I can.

I found this which is the gun:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=88913153

CA357
01-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks, it looks pretty good. :up:

Brian45
01-15-2008, 04:05 PM
This is it along with my Colt Mustang for comparison.

CA357
01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
How's that grip feel?

Brian45
01-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Like a minature 1911. I haven't shot it yet but my little finger always winds up under the butt on these little guns. Only once will you make the mistake of bench resting one on the poor little finger.

I bid on the box and manual since it's only $30.00 plus $7.00 shipping and has only three hours left. The serial number was a few hundred after mine but the manual looks to be interesting.

plink&protect
01-15-2008, 04:20 PM
Nice looking guns. I like the .380 for conceal-carry. Most models are ideal size and I am not of the opinion that anything that does not start in a caliber of 4 can't get the job done. I think the .380 round is plenty enough for personal protection. I traded my Bernardelli .380 toward the Stoeger Cougar, but I imagine I'll have a .380 again.

Brian45
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Plink,
Thanks. I seem to be in a pocket pistol mode and the .380 in today's loading seem a far sight better than the past.
I still like my .38 snubs and won't stop carrying them but these little flat guns are ideal too at times.
This is the NAA Guardian:

maxiball
01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Nice looking pocket gun Brian.
Range report comming?

OFallon
01-15-2008, 06:00 PM
Brian, the NAA Guardian is a great gun. You might consider S&B or the Speer Gold Dots in it.

res
01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
This is it along with my Colt Mustang for comparison.

You know, the memory may be going away along with other things but your good taste is still there. I like that little feller. I can see why it hitched a ride with you. Good find. Rick

sharps_74
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
I always liked those little pistols. I used to have a F.I. four shot .22. Man, I miss that gun.

Brian45
01-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Thanks,
I have some silver tips I'll try in it first and the NAA and see what they like. I'll plan on shooting them this weekend but with temps in the teens it may be a short range test. Sorry but in my old age I've become a wimp that way.:)

Maybe it's just me but the new guns today just don't excite me anymore and I'm on the lookout these days for the old and unusual like this one.
I expect the hunt is much better than the kill and I'll be dissapointed once I find all I'm searching for.

Sharps,
I know you've had dealings with many guns but what was that F.I. .22 4 shot you speak of?

It seems the more I learn about guns the more I know I know nothing still, what better hobby could one ask for? :D

Brian45
02-24-2008, 01:03 PM
I finally got out and shot the two .380s today. I can't believe the winter we've had and sorry now I gave up my membership at the indoor range.
It just seemed silly as I have my own range out back and it seemed they had shoots and CCW classes every weekend and week night when I could get there.

The Guardian worked fine with the UMC ball and Winchester Silvertips I had. I did have two stovepipes on the last round in one of the mags. Probally a weak spring and easy enough to correct.
Only a couple minus's I could see with it. The sights are hard to see being so tiny but these are more point and shoot up close guns anyway. When I did get the sights lined up I found it pretty accurate at the 15 to 20 foot range I was shooting cans at.
The other issue is a bit more discerning as I found I could shoot it okay bare handed but there was little room to spare in the trigger guard with the DA only trigger forward. I tried shooting it with a pair of Bob Allen lined shooting gloves and found the glove got all bound up in the trigger mechanism. I had to take the glove off and clear the gun to get free of it.
That would be bad in a self defense situation and I wear those gloves alot. I'll most likely be making it a fair weather gun anyhow but it's good to know your gun's shortcoming before trusting your life to it. I should note I have large hands, XXL gloves, and this might not be a problem for others but worth testing.

The FI was a fun gun to shoot, a mini 1911 really. I found it very similar to my Colt Mustang which has become a favorite of mine and often carried now.
The one mag I expect is an aftermarket one although neither have any markings I can see. I had a bunch of FTF with it and set it aside after a few attempts. The follower is quite different and might be the problem. I'll have to see what I can do with it as I'm sure extra mags are hard to come by and it's just different enough from my Mustang's mag to not work.

It was good to get out and do some shooting again even if it's still cold but sunny today.
All that brass disappeared in the snow but maybe I'll find it in the spring.
Next time I'll shoot revolvers and save the brass.

If you enjoyed reading about "FI Industries" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!