Skye 9mm

PDA
Mr T
01-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Skye 9mms? Thinking about adding them to the shop. Price point between the Hi-Point and the Kel-Tec?

If you enjoyed reading about "Skye 9mm" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Old Soldier
01-23-2008, 07:34 PM
Who makes the Skye brand?

loknload
01-23-2008, 07:46 PM
:dunno: Never heard of them!

Sir Knight
01-23-2008, 08:06 PM
Skyy makes Skyy. They've been out for about two years. Accuracy is marginable and reliability is acceptable with the right ammo. I purchased my CPX-1 ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f159.jpg

... for times when I am going to be exposed to the elements. With a stainless slide and a plastic frame, I figure that it'll stand up to rain, snow and water better than some of my other guns and if it doesn't, the cost to replace it will be less. Plus, I really like the fact that it has a repeat striker capability and a manual safety.

Sir Knight
01-23-2008, 08:10 PM
Here it is next to my Colt Pocket Nine for size comparison purposes ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f163.jpg

Old Soldier
01-23-2008, 08:22 PM
The Blue Book does not even show the maker in it.

Sir Knight
01-23-2008, 08:31 PM
Shhhh ... it's made by elves ;)

Old Soldier
01-23-2008, 08:33 PM
:funnypost but :whatever:

Sir Knight
01-23-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't know :dunno: what can I tell you. I've owned my for about two years. The company has a website and somebody is obviously making them. Why it's not in the book, I couldn't tell you.

Old Soldier
01-23-2008, 08:39 PM
:dunno:

Mr T
01-24-2008, 04:32 AM
Thank you for the response. I may give them a shot. Pun intended.:D The next blue book is released in April. I think there may have been enough of them out there to make it in the 29th edition.

Pa.Bill
01-24-2008, 05:40 AM
Shhhh ... it's made by elves ;)

elves.....................

KEBBLER ELVES!! I always knew they were into more then cookies!:grrr:

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 07:15 AM
With the cookie monster being fired from Sesame Street because he is a bad influence on children and being replaced by Veggie-man, the Kebbler Elves are expecting a big drop in sales and are branching out into others areas with handguns being one of them :D

sisco50
01-24-2008, 07:20 AM
With the cookie monster being fired from Sesame Street because he is a bad influence on children and being replaced by Veggie-man, the Kebbler Elves are expecting a big drop in sales and are branching out into others areas with handguns being one of them :D
:D :up: :D :up:

sisco50
01-24-2008, 07:28 AM
SKYY Industries has changed its name to SCCY Industries but is still promounced "SKY".

http://www.skyyindustries.com/

That link will take you to a page that tells of the name change and will re-direct you to the new site.

sisco50
01-24-2008, 07:31 AM
http://www.skyyindustries.com/index2007.html

Direct link if you want to skip the explaination page. Something about SKYY VODKA was mentioned. I can see why the name change.

sisco50
01-24-2008, 07:34 AM
Sir Knight, can you reveal the price range of this rather fine looking handgun you purchased two years ago? The MSRP is $339 for the CPX-1.

I understand that the black and the ss slides are both stainless steel. That is very interesting.

They were also scheduled to release two new models in spring of 07. The MPX-3 in .380 cal for $339 and the MPX-9 in 9mm for $389. Anyone know if this has happened? I will try to stop by my suppliers shop today and see what I can find out.

Mr T
01-24-2008, 08:20 AM
sisco50...they now say early 2008 on the above new models. They are dealer direct only(no product liability) so no wholesalers.

PX15
01-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Here it is next to my Colt Pocket Nine for size comparison purposes ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f163.jpg

SK:

You should be ashamed of yourself for putting a fine pistol such as your Colt Pocket 9, (even just for a photo comparison) next to the Keltec P11/lite "SCCY".. :rules:

JP

StrawHat
01-24-2008, 09:54 AM
With the cookie monster being fired from Sesame Street because he is a bad influence on children and being replaced by Veggie-man, :D
When did this happen???????

Where were the protesters??????

Is nothing sacred, first they kill off the big furry thing and now this!

Where is my teddy bear.

StrawHat
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
the Kebbler Elves are expecting a big drop in sales and are branching out into others areas with handguns being one of them :D

To say nothing of the Keebler elf that became a wrestler and showed up on that dance competition show.

Wow, she's got enough legs for a couple of dozen elves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sisco50
01-24-2008, 10:06 AM
No shipping date for the MPX-3 and MPX-9 as yet. I understand the company was in the process of moving to a larger facility last month. Something about not being able to keep up with production of the existing CPX-1 let alone producing two new models at the old facility. Does sound like a good move if the company is serious about expansion and growth.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:05 AM
SKYY Industries has changed its name to SCCY Industries but is still promounced "SKY".

That link will take you to a page that tells of the name change and will re-direct you to the new site.Every time I go to their web page my browser freezes on me requiring a reboot.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Sir Knight, can you reveal the price range of this rather fine looking handgun you purchased two years ago? The MSRP is $339 for the CPX-1. No, because I honestly can't remember since it was about two years ago but I believe that it was just under three bills if memory serves me correctly.[/quote]

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:21 AM
They were also scheduled to release two new models in spring of 07. The MPX-3 in .380 cal for $339 and the MPX-9 in 9mm for $389. Anyone know if this has happened? I will try to stop by my suppliers shop today and see what I can find out.
sisco50...they now say early 2008 on the above new models. They are dealer direct only(no product liability) so no wholesalers.
They missed two release date (Summer 2006 & Spring 2007) leaving a lot of folks to question if these models will ever bcome a reality. I was really interested in the MPX-3 since the P-3AT left a bad taste in my mouth but after waiting nearly two years and not even seeing a photo of a proto-type, I've lost interest. When and if they come out, I may get one but I'm no longer waiting for them.

As I said, with an original release date of Summer 2006, you would think that they could at least show us photos of some proto-types.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:24 AM
Thank you for the response. I may give them a shot. Pun intended.:D Just be aware that they are ammo sensative. Put at LEAST 200-300 rounds through it to ensure that there are no problems with the gun before you begin to relie on it.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:34 AM
SK:

You should be ashamed of yourself for putting a fine pistol such as your Colt Pocket 9, (even just for a photo comparison) next to the Keltec P11/lite "SCCY".. :rules:

JPStunt double :D

My Pocket Nine is my primary "always gun". I purchased the Skyy for those times when I go rafting, camping, etc. -- doing things outside around water to minimize the Pocket Nine's exposure to the elements and help preserve it for regular carry.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 11:48 AM
When did this happen???????

Where were the protesters??????

Is nothing sacred, first they kill off the big furry thing and now this!

Where is my teddy bear.You're right. I'm seriously considering telling PBS that I'm withdrawing my support of Public Television unless the Cookie Monster is brought back.

Mr T
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
You're right. I'm seriously considering telling PBS that I'm withdrawing my support of Public Television unless the Cookie Monster is brought back.Tell me it isn't so! One of my real life heros supports Public televison? I am Crushed...absolutly crushed.:cry:

Dennis Foote
01-24-2008, 03:54 PM
SKYY Industries has changed its name to SCCY Industries but is still pronounced "SKY".

That link will take you to a page that tells of the name change and will re-direct you to the new site.

Why do I smell a trademark infringement lawsuit??

There was a poster on another board that bought one and experienced excessive wear to the rails. According to him, he sent the gun back and was told that said wear was normal. As far as I know, the gun now resides in the back of his safe for all eternity, sequestered as being dangerously unsafe!!!

Alan, you might know of whom I speak.

Sir Knight
01-24-2008, 05:15 PM
Tell me it isn't so! One of my real life heros supports Public televison? I am Crushed...absolutly crushed.:cry: The Mrs like to watch the musicals that they boradcast from the early 1940's so we send then $25 during their annual fund drive.

Why? Besides them canning the Cookie Monster, are there other reasons that they shouldn't deserve my support? Are they anti-2nd amendment?

sisco50
01-25-2008, 07:44 AM
After spending some time at the SCCY forum yesterday I think I can quit thinking about the release date of the MPX-3 and the MPX-9. Doesn't sound very promising. I do find the idea of a micro-compact very interesting tho. Wish someone besides Rohrbaugh had one available.

PX15
01-25-2008, 07:51 AM
After spending some time at the SCCY forum yesterday I think I can quit thinking about the release date of the MPX-3 and the MPX-9. Doesn't sound very promising. I do find the idea of a micro-compact very interesting tho. Wish someone besides Rohrbaugh had one available.

sis:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6900.jpg

This is my wife's LWS32, but the LWS380 is available in the same size.. :up:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6811_01.jpg

JP

Sir Knight
01-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Why do I smell a trademark infringement lawsuit??

There was a poster on another board that bought one and experienced excessive wear to the rails. According to him, he sent the gun back and was told that said wear was normal. As far as I know, the gun now resides in the back of his safe for all eternity, sequestered as being dangerously unsafe!!!

Alan, you might know of whom I speak.I believe I know of whom you speak ;)

As I said, I purchased the gun not as a primary but for those times that I might be exposed to the elements and a firearm might not be needed but I'd want one just in case.

Sir Knight
01-25-2008, 08:11 AM
sis:

JPIf you're starting to move up into the Seecamps, then you might as well look at the Rohrbaughs as well -- mostlikely the smallest 9mm in production ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f129.jpg

... here it is next to my Colt Pocket Nine ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f162.jpg

... and again next to a J-frame for comparison purposes ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f131.jpg

PX15
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM
If you're starting to move up into the Seecamps, then you might as well look at the Rohrbaughs as well -- mostlikely the smallest 9mm in production ...

SK:

True...

I have no problem with Rohrbaughs. I have never held a Rohrbaugh, so all of my impressions are based on pictures and what I've read from owners. I don't think the Rohrbaugh is Seecamp size, and for MY needs I need Seecamp size..

As I think I've mentioned before I really like the "looks" of the Colt Pocket 9 you have. But again the CP9 is not Seecamp size.

I KNOW a J-frame snubby (or Colt D-frame) does not conceal nearly as well as my Seecamp. (I have 2 j-frames/3 D frames). The thickness required by the bulk of the cylinder simply removes it from ease of cc for me.

IF I am cc in a iwb holster then any of the above will suit nicely. But for that duty I have a Walther PPS, which is extremely slim, relatively light, and will accept +p's..

My preference for cc is a rear pocket (wallet) holster 99% of the time, and it takes a small print firearm to work in a wallet holster. (IF I go out of my "comfort zone" and circumstances allow then I chose iwb cc)..

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8017.jpg

One of the things about being a gun nut.. Each of us decide for ourselves what pistol/revolver suits our individual needs. Even the size and weight, or hand size can determine what might make you warm and fuzzy and be unacceptable to me.. And vice-versa.

If the choice you settle on makes you happy, then that IS the right weapon for you.

I DO have an opinion on the SKYY (SCCY) vs the KelTec... I've had (and had) Keltecs for years. I think for the money the KT line of firearms are as much gun as you can get.. A large percentage (relatively speaking) of KT pistols have a reputation for needing some personal attention before they are necessarily reliable.. KT Customer Service/Warranty Repair have a reputation for being willing, happily, to help the customer out with any problem that might need fixing. When you buy a KT firearm you just have to realize you are buying a "middle of the road" (qualitywise) product, but it's a good value for your money, comes with a lifetime warranty and it's made in America..

SKYY on the other hand, which honestly is basically a slicked up P11 clone with a useless (well worse than useless, it is prone to accidental activation/deactivation by the user) external safety. It's just personal opinion, and preference, but an external safety on a DAO pistol is silly.

Or, an external safety on a dao firearm is a perfect example of the "solution to non-existent problem"....

SKYY has been touting the release of it's "PF9" copy for well over a year.. No updates, no factory communication as to why the delay.. Now it seems SKYY is "sooner or later" planning on coming out with it's "new" model, which is basically it's "old" model without the ****py, troublesome external safety.. :confused: :confused:

Monitor the Skyy forum sometime... You will find 3 (more or less) very nice people who are dedicated SKYY owners and supporters.. But, it seems the vast majority of the remaining posters are just there with questions about rail wear, safety problems, or issues with getting a pistol fixed. Not a good sign, and I keep waiting daily for news that SKYY (SCCY) is out of the pistol business.

I'm not wishing for that, as the more competition in any business, the better. But I wouldn't be surprised if it happened.

Again, how we individually spend our "gun money" is our own business, and just because I'm not overwhelmed with appreciation for the firearm you chose does not make me right, it only gives me a different opinion.

I LOVE that Colt Pocket 9.. :up:

Best Wishes,

JP

Sir Knight
01-25-2008, 11:34 AM
The Seecamp is about the size of an NAA Guardian in .32ACP -- so you can use that as a ruler when comparing the Rohrbaugh to your Seecamp ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f148.jpg

... As far as Skyy is concerned, I happen to like their manual safety but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh, and I am active on the Skyy forum. I posted there not too long ago about Skyy snoozing and losing sales ;)

PX15
01-25-2008, 12:41 PM
... As far as Skyy is concerned, I happen to like their manual safety but that's just me. Different strokes for different folks.

Oh, and I am active on the Skyy forum. I posted there not too long ago about Skyy snoozing and losing sales ;)

SK:

Having a personal preference for an external safety on a firearm with a heavier DAO trigger pull is strictly personal preference. I don't think the great majority of folks who are around firearms a great deal, and understand how much "pull" is necessary to overcome a heavy dao trigger/striker pull think they are necessary, but ymmv. :D

The problem with the external safety on the SKYY pistol, in MY opinion, is that it is poorly designed, and consequently has the disconcerting bad habit of being accidentally activated or deactivated by the user. This poor design is a DEAL BREAKER imo for a firearm.

I've read on the SKYY forum where folks are sticking small pieces of paper clip, or wood into the hole of the safety to make it more difficult to engage or disengage the safety.. Don't think I want to be doing that to a firearm I am using for personal defense.

Murphy's Law is alive and well in today's America. You can bet that if your SKYY safety is ever activated, or deactivated accidentally it will happen at the time you most cannot afford for it to do so. Apparently even SKYY management has figured that out by now, as the next SKYY model is reported to be the original gun with NO external safety.

The ONLY advantage I could see for an external safety on a DAO firearm is that it allows that particular firearm to meet whatever wacko standards a particular location might require for legal sale.

Kalifornia comes to mind. :puke:

Just opinion/don't mean to offend...

JPomeroy

P.S. Here's a comparison photo of the LWS32 & NAA Guardian for folks who might be interested.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6746.jpg

sisco50
01-25-2008, 02:31 PM
SK:

Having a personal preference for an external safety on a firearm with a heavier DAO trigger pull is strictly personal preference. I don't think the great majority of folks who are around firearms a great deal, and understand how much "pull" is necessary to overcome a heavy dao trigger/striker pull think they are necessary, but ymmv. :D

The problem with the external safety on the SKYY pistol, in MY opinion, is that it is poorly designed, and consequently has the disconcerting bad habit of being accidentally activated or deactivated by the user. This poor design is a DEAL BREAKER imo for a firearm.

I've read on the SKYY forum where folks are sticking small pieces of paper clip, or wood into the hole of the safety to make it more difficult to engage or disengage the safety.. Don't think I want to be doing that to a firearm I am using for personal defense.

Murphy's Law is alive and well in today's America. You can bet that if your SKYY safety is ever activated, or deactivated accidentally it will happen at the time you most cannot afford for it to do so. Apparently even SKYY management has figured that out by now, as the next SKYY model is reported to be the original gun with NO external safety.

The ONLY advantage I could see for an external safety on a DAO firearm is that it allows that particular firearm to meet whatever wacko standards a particular location might require for legal sale.

Kalifornia comes to mind. :puke:

Just opinion/don't mean to offend...

JPomeroy

P.S. Here's a comparison photo of the LWS32 & NAA Guardian for folks who might be interested.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6746.jpg

I handled both those pistols this afternoon when I stopped by my suppliers shop. When looking at both at the same time, the Guardian just doesn't cut it for me. If you hide the LWS32 from sight, the Guardian isn't too bad. lol I'm sure that is just me. Regardless, I am having a hard time "pulling the trigger' on that Seecamp purchase due to the price. My supplier wants the same for the Seecamp as he gets for a Glock G22. $500. His new in the box Guardian is marked down to $329 this week. Kind of wish I wanted the Guardian but I don't. :(

PX15
01-25-2008, 02:58 PM
I handled both those pistols this afternoon when I stopped by my suppliers shop. When looking at both at the same time, the Guardian just doesn't cut it for me. If you hide the LWS32 from sight, the Guardian isn't too bad. lol I'm sure that is just me. Regardless, I am having a hard time "pulling the trigger' on that Seecamp purchase due to the price. My supplier wants the same for the Seecamp as he gets for a Glock G22. $500. His new in the box Guardian is marked down to $329 this week. Kind of wish I wanted the Guardian but I don't. :(

sisco50:

When I bought my first Seecamp 6 months ago I paid $380.00 it for. RETAIL for a new LWS32, from the factory is only $425.00. There are several dealers on the www.seecamp.com ("theirishguard" is one)forum who will sell you a new Seecamp at below listed retail price. Supply and demand is such that most dealers don't have them in stock, but will have them in stock, in a month or two.

I don't think most folks think of the Seecamp as their 1st and ONLY cc pistol.. Most it seems prefer a larger caliber pistol, generally cc in a iwb type holster. My preference is for my new 9mm Walther PPS in a FIST Kydex iwb... So slim it basically disappears. Anytime circumstances (wardrobe/wx,etc) allow I cc my PPS.

I use my Seecamp as my ALL THE TIME cc pistol. I carry it in a rear pocket (wallet) RJ Hedley holster. I pick up my keys & wallet and the LWS32 goes in the other back pocket.. All the time... I have yet to find anyplace I can legally cc a pistol that I can't easily cc the LWS32 right there stashed in my back pocket.

I cc the LWS32 even when I am carrying the Walther PPS, and consider it as my last ditch backup & "mag change", all in one.

Seecamps are pricey to buy, but unlike other pistols of it's type it loses very little, if any, value over time. Check the ads online (www.gunsamerica.com for one) or elsewhere and "generally" a used Seecamp sells for very close to the same price as a new one. It seems most Seecamp owners simply never sell their pistols.

You mentioned the NAA Guardian. I have a first series Guardian and it's an excellent pistol. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it other than once you hold a Seecamp in comparison, you want the Seecamp. Additionally, as you found out, the Guardian (I believe) retails for $400.00.. It was selling for $329.00. A new Seecamp retails for $425.00, and your dealer was asking $500.00. Get the picture?

So my advice is to consider a Seecamp as your backup mousegun to be a last ditch, up close and personal self defense weapon. If circumstances allow certainly I recommend you carry a larger caliber firearm for primary cc...

I'm a senior citizen and I've owned firearms for over 50 years.. I've had a goodly selection over the decades and most geared toward conceal carry duty. I've never found a concealable firearm as perfect as the Seecamp.. The Seecamp is basically a custom made, absolute top quality firearm. A Seecamp pistol owner seldom sells their Seecamp, he/she "hands them down", or lets the "heirs" fight for it... :D

If you ever have the opportunity try and get yourself a Seecamp. I think you'll be glad you did. I am. :up:

I do.

Best Wishes,

JP

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_8006.jpg

Sir Knight
01-25-2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't realize that the .32 model was so reasonably priced.

PX15
01-25-2008, 04:57 PM
I didn't realize that the .32 model was so reasonably priced.

SK:

I know... It seems the majority of US firearm buyers are of the impression that Seecamps are a thousand bucks and require a years wait...

Well, that's still true today, but now it's the LWS380 that is in such demand and so hard to obtain. The LWS380 retails for $795.00 and if you ordered one today you could expect a 12-14 month wait. (I did and my personalized serial numbered LWS380 isn't due until around September...:( . But I knew that going in, so I'm not complaining...)

But, the LWS32, which several years ago was being scalped at $1000 or more and was generally unavailable IS reasonably priced, even tho there is still usually a 30-60 day waiting period.

Something often missed in all the hype and confusion is the fact that Larry Seecamp has NEVER taken advantage of the popularity of his fine pistols, and the factory retail price today of $425.00 is the same as it was back in those years when DEALERS were scalping the LSW32's at such an outrageous price.

If you have an interest monitor the www.seecamp.forum and you will find an extended family that welcomes your questions and will assist you in any way they can.

Basically when you buy a Seecamp pistol and if you aren't careful you'll shortly become a extended Seecamp family member yourself, and more than likely be trying to figure out a way to get yourself another Seecamp..;)

Larry Seecamp isn't in the business of making the most money, he's in the business, as was his Father, Ludwig Seecamp, of making the FINEST pistol in the world. Those of us who are fortunate enough to own a Seecamp feel he has done that.

Just personal opinion/YMMV

JPomeroy

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6909.jpg

sisco50
01-26-2008, 08:09 AM
PX15,

You are correct regarding Mr. Seecamp. I joined the forum about two weeks ago and really like the posters there. Good info and plenty of it. :)

I do have the opportunity to pruchase a brand new Seecamp LWS32 at the moment but have been hesitant due to the price my supplier is asking. He's about the cheapest around this area but is nowhere as good as I am hearing about on the Seecamp forum. A difference of $115 is more than I want to pay. lol I know its just me and the way I try to do things but I guess I'll break down and bite the bullet in the next few days. Its not like I haven't been carrying around the money the past few weeks. But turning loose of it thinking I can wait and do better is hard to do for me. :(

PX15
01-26-2008, 09:17 AM
PX15,

You are correct regarding Mr. Seecamp. I joined the forum about two weeks ago and really like the posters there. Good info and plenty of it. :)

I do have the opportunity to pruchase a brand new Seecamp LWS32 at the moment but have been hesitant due to the price my supplier is asking. He's about the cheapest around this area but is nowhere as good as I am hearing about on the Seecamp forum. A difference of $115 is more than I want to pay. lol I know its just me and the way I try to do things but I guess I'll break down and bite the bullet in the next few days. Its not like I haven't been carrying around the money the past few weeks. But turning loose of it thinking I can wait and do better is hard to do for me. :(

sis:

I don't mind paying a seller a reasonable profit for anything.. I understand that if a seller can't make a reasonable profit he/she won't be in business very long..

Having said that, I find it distasteful when a person selling something apparently thinks I either drove in on a turnip truck, or just fell off one when he/she moves the selling price from "reasonable profit" to "lets screw the rube".. I take offense at that, and generally take my business elsewhere.

Seecamps are an unusual commodity. They are practically hand made, they are made in limited supply, and have a reputation, which I agree on, of being the absolute best "mousegun" in the world. The Seecamp pistol has had that reputation for decades and because of those factors the vast majority of the American firearm buying public are still of the opinion that Seecamps still cost $1000 and you can't get one for a year or two even if you wanted one.

The current truth of the Seecamp market is that the LWS32 retails for $425.00. Extra magazines are $35.00. If you wish a personalized serial number that's $35.00.. Shipping/handling is $20.00 or so (if you ordered from the factory).. Whatever fee you pay your local ffl is additional.

The time from the date you placed an order and received the pistol would be approximately 3-4 months.

So, a worse case scenario if you wanted to buy a new Seecamp LWS32 today would be: You call Sandi at Seecamp to get an order form. When you get the form you pay a reasonable deposit upfront, remainder prior to shipment to your ffl dealer of choice.

You will pay: $425.00 pistol
35.00 extra mag (optional, but recommended).
35.00 personalized serial number (optional but nice touch)
20.00 shipping/handling (guesstimate)
25.00 fee to accepting ffl dealer. (guesstimate)

Total: $540.00

You of course could delete the extra mag and personalized serial number and only pay: $470.00

As I mentioned before Larry Seecamp has NO interest in cutting his dealers out of the loop, and indeed would probably prefer that you purchased your Seecamp thru a retail dealer if possible.

The only reason you can order a Seecamp directly from the factory is a service to those potential customers who have no access to a local dealer who sells, (or wishes to sell) Seecamp pistols.

There are several Seecamp dealers on the www.seecamp.com forum, with excellent reputations, who are willing to sell you a new Seecamp at a reasonable discount, and would be happy to have your business. (theirishguard is one). You will still, generally speaking, have the wait time, but you can reduce the cost in this manner, and I recommend this method of purchase for most folks who don't require "instant gratification"

IF you are a person requiring "instant gratification" then you are stuck paying whatever price the person who has a Seecamp LWS32 on hand to sell wishes to try and gouge you for. :down:

I am of the opinion that if you buy a Seecamp, and don't get hosed in the process you will never lose money on it should you decide to sell it.. I think you will be so pleased with your Seecamp that you won't ever sell it, but will want to "pass it down" to someone you think will appreciate and care for it..

IMO the $35.00 fee for a personalized Seecamp is a steal.. My wife loves her "1JOANN" (lucky for me her name was JoAnn?), and it just makes the LWS32 more special. I'm sure one day our Son will inherit his Mom's Seecamp and it WILL be special to him.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6904_01.jpg

So my recommendation as a dedicated, admitted, Seecamp lover is unless you have to have it "right now" you deal with "theirishguard", or another dealer of your choice and order yourself a nice, new, personalized LWS32.

You will have the waiting period (my latest personalized LWS32 "LausDeo2" is due to be shipped to my local dealer next week :up:) and before you know it you will get a call from your dealer telling you when the pistol will be ready for delivery.

If you don't care about a personalized serial number chances are the wait time will be considerably less, as most dealers have a continuing order with Seecamp and have new Seecamps arriving on a regular basis.

Just my opinion on this Seecamp business/Other's MMV..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

sisco50
01-26-2008, 05:09 PM
lol Knowing me, I'll break down and spend the $500 soon enough. Sometimes, if I wait a week or two, my supplier may bend a bit. That would make me happy and I will jump at the chance. If it gets sold out from under me, I can always go the wait 3 months route and order from the site or the factory direct. Either way I'll have my Seecamp soon enough. :)

wad4729
02-29-2008, 08:21 PM
I have owned both keltec 9 and skyy 9, I was not impressed with either. I traded my keltec for a EAA 357 magnum. My Skyy 9 jams, doesn't hit the primer very hard and goes back into safety when I fire. Maybe I just got a lemon. Not my choice for concealed carry. The Keltec was certainly better than the Skyy, even though I was not impressed with either.

sisco50
03-01-2008, 05:19 PM
sis:

I don't mind paying a seller a reasonable profit for anything.. I understand that if a seller can't make a reasonable profit he/she won't be in business very long..

Having said that, I find it distasteful when a person selling something apparently thinks I either drove in on a turnip truck, or just fell off one when he/she moves the selling price from "reasonable profit" to "lets screw the rube".. I take offense at that, and generally take my business elsewhere.

Seecamps are an unusual commodity. They are practically hand made, they are made in limited supply, and have a reputation, which I agree on, of being the absolute best "mousegun" in the world. The Seecamp pistol has had that reputation for decades and because of those factors the vast majority of the American firearm buying public are still of the opinion that Seecamps still cost $1000 and you can't get one for a year or two even if you wanted one.

The current truth of the Seecamp market is that the LWS32 retails for $425.00. Extra magazines are $35.00. If you wish a personalized serial number that's $35.00.. Shipping/handling is $20.00 or so (if you ordered from the factory).. Whatever fee you pay your local ffl is additional.

The time from the date you placed an order and received the pistol would be approximately 3-4 months.

So, a worse case scenario if you wanted to buy a new Seecamp LWS32 today would be: You call Sandi at Seecamp to get an order form. When you get the form you pay a reasonable deposit upfront, remainder prior to shipment to your ffl dealer of choice.

You will pay: $425.00 pistol
35.00 extra mag (optional, but recommended).
35.00 personalized serial number (optional but nice touch)
20.00 shipping/handling (guesstimate)
25.00 fee to accepting ffl dealer. (guesstimate)

Total: $540.00

You of course could delete the extra mag and personalized serial number and only pay: $470.00

As I mentioned before Larry Seecamp has NO interest in cutting his dealers out of the loop, and indeed would probably prefer that you purchased your Seecamp thru a retail dealer if possible.

The only reason you can order a Seecamp directly from the factory is a service to those potential customers who have no access to a local dealer who sells, (or wishes to sell) Seecamp pistols.

There are several Seecamp dealers on the www.seecamp.com (http://www.seecamp.com) forum, with excellent reputations, who are willing to sell you a new Seecamp at a reasonable discount, and would be happy to have your business. (theirishguard is one). You will still, generally speaking, have the wait time, but you can reduce the cost in this manner, and I recommend this method of purchase for most folks who don't require "instant gratification"

IF you are a person requiring "instant gratification" then you are stuck paying whatever price the person who has a Seecamp LWS32 on hand to sell wishes to try and gouge you for. :down:

I am of the opinion that if you buy a Seecamp, and don't get hosed in the process you will never lose money on it should you decide to sell it.. I think you will be so pleased with your Seecamp that you won't ever sell it, but will want to "pass it down" to someone you think will appreciate and care for it..

IMO the $35.00 fee for a personalized Seecamp is a steal.. My wife loves her "1JOANN" (lucky for me her name was JoAnn?), and it just makes the LWS32 more special. I'm sure one day our Son will inherit his Mom's Seecamp and it WILL be special to him.
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Laserlips/100_6904_01.jpg

So my recommendation as a dedicated, admitted, Seecamp lover is unless you have to have it "right now" you deal with "theirishguard", or another dealer of your choice and order yourself a nice, new, personalized LWS32.

You will have the waiting period (my latest personalized LWS32 "LausDeo2" is due to be shipped to my local dealer next week :up:) and before you know it you will get a call from your dealer telling you when the pistol will be ready for delivery.

If you don't care about a personalized serial number chances are the wait time will be considerably less, as most dealers have a continuing order with Seecamp and have new Seecamps arriving on a regular basis.

Just my opinion on this Seecamp business/Other's MMV..

Best Wishes,

Jesse

I picked up my LWS-32 brand new in never opened box three weeks ago at a gun show just north of Houston for less than what my supplier was asking. (a $105.00 less) Got my LWS-380 lined up pretty much but will have to wait til Monday to send FFL and Certified Bank Check. Then all that will be left will be the LWS-25. That may take longer than the first two did. lol

sisco50
03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
The Seecamp is about the size of an NAA Guardian in .32ACP -- so you can use that as a ruler when comparing the Rohrbaugh to your Seecamp ...

http://fud-files.netfirms.com/image/private/guns/f148.jpg

Been trying to find a Colt Pocket Nine lately without any luck. But I hear they do pop up from time to time. In the mean time, I saw a Colt PocketLite .380 in very used condition for $650.00. After looking at the pistol and the price for a couple of minutes I figured the price did not match the pistol at all. Are you familiar with the pocketLite and the value of a very much used sample? Also, what should I expect to pay for a decent Pocket Nine?

sisco50
03-01-2008, 05:41 PM
sis:

JP

I have seen the 1JOANN Seecamp many times at the Seecamp forum lately. Very nice.

My .32 will probably belong to my wife after my .380 gets here in a week or so. She hasn't fired it yet but she will soon. :)

Sir Knight
03-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Been trying to find a Colt Pocket Nine lately without any luck. But I hear they do pop up from time to time.Yes they do and if you hurry, you can grab this one (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93313804) for about a grand.

I saw a Colt PocketLite .380 in very used condition for $650.00. After looking at the pistol and the price for a couple of minutes I figured the price did not match the pistol at all. Are you familiar with the pocketLite and the value of a very much used sample?I know of the Pocket Lite but I can not tell you what a fair price for it would be. Sorry.

Also, what should I expect to pay for a decent Pocket Nine?Used Pocket Nines normally go for about $800 and unfired NIB models are about $1200 -- you can pick up a NIB one here (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93313804) for a grand if nobody outbids you ... getting one at that price would be considered a bargin.

sisco50
03-04-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes they do and if you hurry, you can grab this one (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93313804) for about a grand.

I know of the Pocket Lite but I can not tell you what a fair price for it would be. Sorry.

Used Pocket Nines normally go for about $800 and unfired NIB models are about $1200 -- you can pick up a NIB one here (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93313804) for a grand if nobody outbids you ... getting one at that price would be considered a bargin.

Does sound good but that $950.00 I put in the mail Monday morning for my LWS-380 will slow me down for a couple of weeks. Having to pass on this one won't hurt too bad but I will continue to keep on looking. After all, that is a major part of the fun of collecting these pocket pistols. :)

old_ironsights
03-05-2008, 04:08 PM
Sir Knight! You opine, "Here it is next to my Colt Pocket Nine for size comparison purposes ..." but what sayest thou on the difference in weights?

BTW, if you die, can I have your Colt?

Sir Knight
03-06-2008, 11:02 AM
Sir Knight! You opine, "Here it is next to my Colt Pocket Nine for size comparison purposes ..." but what sayest thou on the difference in weights? The Colt is heavier and that's a good thing because it can absorb the recoil better. Plus, it is +P rated while the Skyy is not.

BTW, if you die, can I have your Colt?I think that others already have dips on it :P

snakebite
03-10-2008, 05:51 PM
Let me throw my two cents in. I have had a Sccy 9mm for about 1 1/2 years and have not had a bit of trouble with it. I also have a Kel Tec P-11. the big difference is the Sccy has a stainless Barrell and Slide. Also a captive return spring. If you look on the Kel Tec form you'll notice a "Fluff & Buff" needed to make most of them reliable. The Sccy needed none of that business. I think the Sccy is a much better pistol and it comes with two mags. The only problem I have with Sccy is the fact that they don't advertize. If the word got out to the shooting community I think they would seroulsy hurt Kel Tac. But what do I know?

Lambow13
03-20-2008, 01:18 PM
I have had a SKYY (SCCY) CPX-1 for a while with the ser.# in the 11,xxx and did do an improvement on safety but it is a good shooting little gun. Not sure when they will ever get all their ducks in a row. TO BAD BECAUSE........ .they seem to have tried hard to please the customers in the repair of any problems. Maybe after the move and some luck they will be back in the running????

parrottman
03-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Anyone have any experience with the Skye 9mms? Thinking about adding them to the shop. Price point between the Hi-Point and the Kel-Tec?

Mine broke 1st time out (would not extract). I haven't sent it for warranty yet.

Dennis Foote
03-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I just went to the web site.
Still no info about the new whizz bang line of pistols!!
It has been a very long time since SCCY announced this!!
This tells me two things.
SCCY does not have (cannot get) the investment capital to go ahead with the project.
They are not selling enough of the existing product to fund the project themselves.

This implies that people are not buying!!

From what I've heard, it's with reason!!

I'd therefore be very leery about entering into a sales contract with these turkeys!!

Sir Knight
03-24-2008, 06:54 PM
When a company announces a product which is to have significant advances over anything currently on the market and then is 2+ years late in releasing the product and missing two of it's own release dates without even a photo of a proto-type to show to customers that are interested in it, I think that is valid reason for customers to lose interest in the product.

And this is coming from somebody who was one of the first ones to purchase their product and had high hopes for them.

Lambow13
03-25-2008, 10:17 PM
I also had high hopes for them and enjoy the gun, but it makes one wonder if this will finally peter out. I hope they can pull it out because I think that they have a good product if all the bugs get worked out. Until then all I can do is shoot the little beast and see what it is capable of.

sisco50
03-26-2008, 06:45 PM
Still nothing doing with the MPX-3 and MPX-9. Glad I got my Seecamp .32 and .380 when I did. Now to continue the search for an R9 for a fair price and not the inflated prices I have seen so far. lol

Losing interest in SCCY rather rapidly now. :(

Sir Knight
03-27-2008, 04:16 AM
Your best bet is to buy directly from the factory ...

... you pre-pay them and they will ship directly to the local FFL of your choice.

sisco50
03-27-2008, 02:42 PM
Your best bet is to buy directly from the factory ...

... you pre-pay them and they will ship directly to the local FFL of your choice.

Yes, I think that will be the way to go. I hope the wait isn't too long tho. The wait for the Seecamp .380 is over one year but I got lucky and found a new one for sale with a back pocket holster and extra mag carrier. Just starting to rebound from that purchase and will go to the R-site in a few minutes. :)

sisco50
03-29-2008, 06:56 PM
Heard something about having to replace the recoil spring every 200 - 250 rounds on the R9. Any truth to that or is it just a rumor? :(

Sir Knight
03-29-2008, 08:42 PM
That is correct (http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1206549119;start=2#2).

PX15
03-30-2008, 10:26 AM
That is correct (http://www.rohrbaughforum.com/YaBB.cgi?board=R9S;action=display;num=1206549119;start=2#2).

FWIW:

And more often on the LWS380.... :surprise:

And I don't even "keer".. :up:

(LWS380 recoil springs are what, $7.00?)

Jesse

sisco50
03-30-2008, 01:10 PM
FWIW:

And more often on the LWS380.... :surprise:

And I don't even "keer".. :up:

(LWS380 recoil springs are what, $7.00?)

Jesse

Any problems in replacing one yourself? I am certainly not a gunsmith. lol

sisco50
04-07-2008, 07:26 PM
Any problems in replacing one yourself? I am certainly not a gunsmith. lol

Hey guys! I was just joking there. ;)

Hope no one took me seriously! :(

If you enjoyed reading about "Skye 9mm" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!