Mauser Hsc .380

PDA
lead
02-16-2008, 08:24 AM
This is a gun that I have looked at a number of times, thinking it would be a well made carry piece. I have bid on a few on Auction Arms, but never won the bid.
My local shop traded for one yesterday. He wants $325 for it. That's a little higher then some that I bid on. This one does have 3 mags, the box, and all the papers. It is an Interarms gun, but is stamped "made in Germany, not W. Germany. So I'm not sure how old it is.
Any Hsc owners here that want to comment about the pluses or minuses of the gun?
I've already spent my gun money this month, I can't swing this without trading in something. I'm just not sure what I want to lose for it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser Hsc .380" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
budroe
02-16-2008, 08:43 AM
I've carried mine around the world for the past twenty years as a throw-away gun. Never had to get rid of it. Finally decided it was too nice to lose, so left it home this trip. I really love mine. Double action pull is a bit heavy, but smooth. Single action pull is really nice. I like the look and feel better than the PPK. I have less than 1K rounds through mine, but its never given me a problem.

Mine is marked Interarms with a Va. address. A buddy took it off a guy who know longer needed it in Beriut back in the early 80's. Interesting that a gun sold in Va. would get into the hands of hizbollah trash in Lebanon, but just goes to show you, it can happen.

Saunders
02-16-2008, 08:56 AM
The Germany mark usually means more recent production than the West Germany mark. Fall of the Berlin Wall and unification.

At least on the Walthers.

sharps_74
02-16-2008, 10:36 AM
Let's see if this will help http://www.mauserguns.com/gungalleryModelHSC.asp this should be the info. that you need

Dframe
02-16-2008, 11:50 AM
I've had mine for a long time and have fired hundreds of rounds through it. The quality of the fit and finish are excellent. I love the shrouded hammer and the snag free design. On the negative side is the horrendous DA trigger pull and the annoying magazine dissconnect. Mine is also finicky about ammunition, but when fed what it likes, it's a great gun. Magazines seem to be hard to find for this model, so if it has three thats a big plus.

lead
02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Thank you Sharps.

Well, I couldn't resist. I traded an SKS and ammo.
This gun comes from the late 60's, I would guess from the Mauser link that Sharps gave me. It is in excellent condition, 3 mags, one with a finger rest,2 without. The blue plastic box and the cardboard sleeve that goes over it, owner's manual, and test target too.
I also got a recoil spring that the previous owner had bought for it. The guys at the shop said he had bought a lighter spring, but never installed it. They said he traded this for a $800 Colt 1911 that he was planning to modify.
If it wasn't raining today, I'd get out to the range.

Dframe
02-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I think you'll like it. Mine is much the same. Blue plastic box test target etc. Field stripping is simple except perhaps for levering the barrel out of the slide. You may have to try a couple of different brands to get 100% reliability with the ammunition. There is no external slide lock, so the magazine must be inserted to close the slide. When you first push in a full magazine it may startle you by automaticlly closing and chambering the first round. Thats the way it's supposed to work. Just a different way of doing things.

sharps_74
02-16-2008, 10:19 PM
So you got one of the later HSc's. I hope it just as good as mine, it was made in WW2 by the Germans and sold on the civilan market. They're great pistols.

Dframe
02-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Yup. made in Germany and imported by Interarms.

Dennis Foote
02-17-2008, 01:21 AM
I've carried mine around the world for the past twenty years as a throw-away gun. Never had to get rid of it. Finally decided it was too nice to lose, so left it home this trip. I really love mine. Double action pull is a bit heavy, but smooth. Single action pull is really nice. I like the look and feel better than the PPK. I have less than 1K rounds through mine, but its never given me a problem.

Mine is marked Interarms with a Va. address. A buddy took it off a guy who know longer needed it in Beriut back in the early 80's. Interesting that a gun sold in Va. would get into the hands of hizbollah trash in Lebanon, but just goes to show you, it can happen.

Bud,
FYI. Interarms, which was based Alexandria Va. would have been the importer into the USA. It was either sold or stolen from a nameless gunshop. Didn't you ever get curious and run it through NCIC or Interpol??

budroe
02-17-2008, 06:16 AM
I had an FBI buddy run it for me. Didn't pop up on a NCIC check. Checking with Interpol is about as effective as running it through CNN. As my plans for it weren't exactly long term, I never saw a reason to push the issue too far.

sharps_74
02-17-2008, 11:58 AM
Mine was brought back by one of our boy that served in WW2. It has no import marks and such. I'd like to find one in 9m/m short (.380). It would be a hoot to have two of the same type of weapon in different caliber.

Weaverrick, Closing the slide on an empty chamber can be done via grasping the rear of the slide, pulling it back and releasing it. The slide catch is internal. Check it out and see if that does it on your's. Please let me know if it's not the same as mine. Thanks

Dennis Foote
02-17-2008, 03:14 PM
I dunno.
Looking at the pic that I found, the HsC does not have the "svelte" effect that the PPK does, IMHO.

Dframe
02-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Sharps Mine will ONLY close by inserting a magazine. Don't know if yours is a slightly different issue or not. On mine there is a stamped steel multifunction part hinged to the left side of the frame. It serves as a slide hold open, ejector, and magazine disconnect.

FotoTomas
02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
I had a .32 Mauser HSc some 20+ years ago and enjoyed a couple of boxes of .32 ammo through it. It was a pretty littl gun but not something I wanted to keep.

I ended up with three H&K HK4 pistols over the years. This was the first H&K designed pistol and it was a strong derivitive of the HSc. I still have one with the .22 barrel and magazine. It too is not a favorite of mine and is on the block to trade or sell.

On the other hand your little Mauser is a great bit of history and a classic in its own right. Something to enjoy if you have the room to keep it. Trading a SKS for it makes sense. Those SKS's are a lot easier to get for the time being. Of course in a year or so I don't know...might want to stock up on those EBR's.

budroe
02-21-2008, 10:27 AM
Weaverrick - the slide on my Hsc will not close without a magazine in the gun either.

sharps_74
02-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Wow, I wonder if the design was changed for import or if the .380 is just different. Here's some pics. of mine.

lead
02-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, this didn't turn out like I hoped.
I took it out Monday, which is the first chance I've had to get to a range. I took 2 different brands of ammo, all FMJ's, to try out. I never got more then 25 rounds through it. It had problems feeding on every clip. The range time ended though when the pin holding the trigger in place broke. It's back at the shop I bought it at, waiting for the gunsmith to get back from vacation and have a look at it.

Dframe
02-28-2008, 12:28 AM
My HSc is a bit finicky about ammunition but nothing has ever broken on it. Highly unusual for a quality gun. Hope your smith has it running quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mauser Hsc .380" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!