The most durable shotgun

PDA
Doug Bowser
10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I vote for the 870 Remington. I had one in 1971. I shot trap with it for 3 years. I kept track of my primers for the reloading tool. I shot 65,000 rounds in 3 years and the firing pin return spring broke. Fixed it in a few seconds and fired it another 15,000 rounds. I sold the gun in 1977 and it was working perfectly.

Doug Bowser

If you enjoyed reading about "The most durable shotgun" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Brian45
10-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I have to agree on that one. I bought a Wingmaster used in the mid 70's that had seen a few duck blinds already. I used it pheasant hunting a few years and added a second barrel in IC and 26 inch for grouse and dragged it though a thicket or two.
I used it when I first started duck hunting and abused it some more as only a duck hunter knows.:)

I lent it one year (1995 ish) to my buddy as he needed a shotgun for deer hunting and he wanted to buy it as it was the twin of his boyhood gun that his brother inherited. I highballed it and he bought it at asking price.

I saw him this summer at my brother's 50th B'day party and asked about the 870. He said it's still going strong as he hunts pheasants and grouse over his English and Scottish Setters.

I think the guy I bought it from said he gave it to his son in 1967 for his 16th B'day to hunt ducks.

Maybe not the shell count your's had but mine had seen lots of use in the field over the years and I'd buy it back in a minute if Mac was selling.

Fuelburns1
10-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Either the 870 or a Savage Fox model B.

Sam
10-10-2008, 09:32 PM
M37 Ithaca.
My "new" one is a 1972.
0 issues

lead
10-10-2008, 10:02 PM
I've always had a fondness for some of the Winchester models. I've had a 1200, 1300, and a model 50. I know the model 12 had a great reputation, but I've never owned one. They all held up well for me.

eljay
10-10-2008, 10:47 PM
Most durable shotgun ever invented was the Winchester Model 12. Sadly, they are history now and, next in line for durable (IMO) would be the Remington 870. Own a couple of them, now that I can't own (and shoot) Winnie Model 12's.

retiredsquid
10-11-2008, 04:22 PM
I agree, the 870 is a tough as nails shotgun. I would have put my original 1100 I bought in 1980 up against one, though. It was a fine shotgun that I have missed for 20 years now.
Regards,
Rich

bluedlightning
10-11-2008, 11:56 PM
No shotgun tougher then the Browning A-5. Seen one that was used for eveything from taking dove to shooting slugs and taking deer. Only thing ever done to it was a good cleaning. Still going strong after 80 years and 3 owners.

StrawHat
10-13-2008, 11:11 AM
I would have to say the Winchester M12 or M1912.

Both of mine are old, one built 1957, the other in the 20's.

Both get used and both are still going strong.

To costly to build now, but one of the best pump guns ever.

dfariswheel
10-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Good candidates are the Winchester Model 12 and the Browning Auto.

Both were used during WWII to train aerial gunners, and some reportedly went well over 500,000 rounds.

Todays best is the Remington 870.
The really heavy clay shooters report that the typical aluminum guns like the Mossberg start to break around 50,000 to 60,000 rounds while the 870 "may" develop receiver cracks up around 250,000 rounds, but remains usable.
One shooter had a verified 500,000 through his 870 before retiring it.

wraco
10-14-2008, 12:23 AM
My pick is the Winchester Model 1912. I've got a 20 ga. from early 1913 that's still shooting like a dream. Also have a first year 12 ga Model 1912 (1914) that's also functioning like it did 94 some years ago. Those 2 guns will most likely keep shooting for another 100 years if they're looked after properly.

But then I have a Winchester Model 1897, a 2 barrel set made in 1901, that's also shooting perfectly. That's the Model 12's Pappy so it's all the same I guess.

In fairness, the Remington Wingmaster 870 needs some recognition as well. For a shotgun that was "Stamp, Push and Press", it's outlasted most of it's critics and still going strong. My Dad's Wingmaster, 1st or 2nd year production, is in my safe and still shooting strong after thousands of shots and countless hunts. In the 50's, 60's, 70's and early 80's that gun was very well used.

But my pick is still the Model 12 Winchester, the All-America Repeater. . :up:

Regards:
Rod

Doug Bowser
10-14-2008, 01:16 AM
I have owned several Model 12 Winchester shotguns. Unlike the Remington 870, the Model 12 has an adjustable bushing in the barrel assembly. When a large amount of shooting is done with the Model 12, you have to tighten up the barrel assembly by turning the bushing. There are 3 bushings available but when the longest bushing is used, the barrel assembly can be loose. It takes a long time to wear a Model 12 to this point but it is possible.

Doug

wraco
10-14-2008, 05:23 AM
There are 6, different, numbered lengths of adjusting sleeves (bushing) from #1 thru to #6. Each adjustment sleeve has 6 extra adjustable notches plus the ones the lock are in. That's 36 plus 5, making it 41 extra adjustments for wear between the receiver and receiver extension. . :up:

You can shoot the Model 12 till the cows come home and keep on shooting till they've all left without creating any wear between the receiver and the receiver extension. The Model 12 is a "Takedown" shotgun design. The takedown occurs between the receiver and the receiver extension necessitating an adjustment for wear. The more the gun is taken down, the more the wear. After repeated take downs, wear will sometimes occur. The takedown assembly is adjusted up tight again by turning the adjustment sleeve by 1 notch. Keep the mating surfaces of the receiver and receiver extension clean and lubricated; wear is sometimes almost non existant.

The takedown feature was quite popular in the early days as it enabled the gun to be transported in a mutton bag, which was common at that time. Some of these mutton bags turn up on ebay every so often. The ones with the Winchester emblems usually sell for a premium.

I very seldom take my Model 12's down. Most are still on the first setting with a #1 sleeve, including a Model 12 I own that was 1st year 12 ga, 1914. I'll take them down once a year maybe, if I've shot it plenty, and that's for cleaning purposes. I've come across plenty of Model 12's in my time and have yet to see any, even the worst beaters, that were on the last notch on a #6 sleeve. Even if they were, a gunsmith machinist could fix that up right quick. . . :)

As I said; the Remington Wingmaster 870 is a fine shotgun and one of the best made today. The Model 12 has been shooting hard for 38 years longer than the 870. A Model 12 can keep on shooting even with some of the parts broken. The Model 12 was made during a time when labor was less expensive that enabled Winchester to forge and machine the receiver and components from the finest Winchester Proof steel. At the time, Winchester proofed their shotguns at 150%. Most others proofed theirs at 125%. A spare ejector, left and right extractors and the Model 12 is good for another 96 years. . :up:

Regards:
Rod

Bank
10-14-2008, 12:04 PM
The most durable shotgun I ever owned was a Perazzi TMX. I bought it used, shot trap on the Southeast chain for 4 years with it, shooting thousands and thousands of registered and practice rounds during the period, then sold it to another guy who did the same thing for ten more years before he sold it. It got refinished a time or two, but it never failed to go bang, or eject a spent hull. I don't know of any gun I ever had that held up to a round count like that one did.

Bank
10-14-2008, 12:07 PM
PS- One of my shooting buddies has been a committed NSSA shooter for decades. He has always shot a Krieghoff K-32 since I've known him, and still proudly proclaims that he's never had a malfunction, though he has replaced some springs during that time by way of maintenance.

Doug Bowser
10-16-2008, 11:17 AM
I stand corrected on the Model 12. I once had a Model 1912 Black Diamond Trap Gun. It was loose and I had to get the next sized adjustment sleeve and was under the false impression that the guns shot loose over time.

I still think the 870 is the most durable shotgun made today.

Doug Bowser

georgestrings
10-17-2008, 06:25 AM
This huge 870 fan would have to call it a tie between the 870 and the model 12... I've owned a couple of Model 12s, and they sure were slick guns, and built like a tank - I've personally never seen a Model 12 or an 870 that was worn out... For versatility, I'd give the nod to the 870 - only because of available barrel and accessories - and I preferred to carry the 870, as it's a little lighter than the nickle-steel receivered Model 12...

The A5 is quite durable, but I'd *guess* that in a torture test, it would fail before either the Model 12 or 870 - although QUITE a few rounds would be down range before such an occurance...

- georgestrings

georgestrings
10-17-2008, 06:27 AM
Good candidates are the Winchester Model 12 and the Browning Auto.

Both were used during WWII to train aerial gunners, and some reportedly went well over 500,000 rounds.

Todays best is the Remington 870.
The really heavy clay shooters report that the typical aluminum guns like the Mossberg start to break around 50,000 to 60,000 rounds while the 870 "may" develop receiver cracks up around 250,000 rounds, but remains usable.
One shooter had a verified 500,000 through his 870 before retiring it.

The name couldn't just be a coincidence - nice to see you over here from AR15.com, bud...

- georgestrings

budroe
10-17-2008, 10:10 AM
I have a model 870 modified by Scattergun Technologies (from before Wilson bought them out) that I like a lot. I also have a Mossberg 590 that's been customized a bit and works very well for me. My new favorite is a Benelli M4 semiauto.

For hunting I usually carry a Mossberg 500. Its cheap, works all the time and gets the job done for me.

Barkley
10-17-2008, 08:47 PM
Ive shot my fathers 870 for 35 years now without a problem. I don't rack up the rounds like a trap shooter but I know it will always function if properly maintained. In all those years I've never had a failure to feed or fire.

PS: I've had a couple reloads go pop, not bang. The reloads problem, not the gun.

dfariswheel
10-17-2008, 08:50 PM
The name couldn't just be a coincidence - nice to see you over here from AR15.com, bud...

- georgestrings

I'm retar.... (I mean retired) I can afford to get around.:)

munk
10-18-2008, 02:51 PM
There is a difference between self loading and pump shotguns, not really fair to lump them together. Browning designs have an advantage.
The 870 pump is built tough, but I'm not sure it outlasts the Mossberg.
I don't have a candidate or favorite, - I'm just pointing out that the aluminum recievered Mossberg shoots and shoots. It got the military contract in the 90's. Most of the trainers are still being used with hundreds of thousands of rounds through them.

The Winchester series is not as highly regarded as the Mossberg or Remington 870, rightly or wrongly.

If I had to beat zombies over the head after my ammo ran out, I'd want the 870.

munk

georgestrings
10-18-2008, 07:33 PM
I'm retar.... (I mean retired) I can afford to get around.:)

That's fortunate for the gun owner's community...

- georgestrings

If you enjoyed reading about "The most durable shotgun" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!