Expanding on the classic .32 S&W Long Cartridge for Revolvers. let's Hear your Opinions ?

PDA
Hammerdown
10-28-2008, 07:41 AM
Hello
As Most of you all ready Know, I Get a Chub for the Vintage .32 S&W Long cartridge and have several revolvers in this round. My favorite one is the one I got From Forum member jim Fox my Holy Grail Gun the S&W K-32 Masterpiece. I feel The Death of this fine model was partly because of Older cartridge recipes that were little more than a Pop when the trigger was pulled.:( I further feel the .32 S&W Long is the most Underestimated round next to it's newer cousin the .32 H&R Magnum which a few years ago, through careful hand loading I took to Sub Sonic levels never dared to before. I eventually got the Infamous .32 H&R magnum close to the velocity of the famous .357 Magnum believe it or not by using Hogdens H-110 Powder, my 16-4 K-Frame S&W and a Hornady 85 Grain bullet. Well, after I received the Pre-16 K-32 from Jim it bothered me that he reported it only showed him medium accuracy and performance, so most recently I worked a load up using the Old stand By Powder Unique. I ventured to take it as far as the .32 H&R Magnum out into Waters never swam before and I am getting to the upper end of my Testing now. I read an article supplied by member Tusker that I will supply a link to on the bottom of this message that inspired me to take this fine little cartridge to it's upper limits. The author of the thread had explained he took it there by dropping 4.3 Grains of Unique in a case and using a 98 grain lead bullet & achieved a velocity of 1040 F.P.S. :psycho: I must admit I have never really Liked Unique due to it's rather large grain structure and the fact that it is down right Dirty to shoot. I did go out and Invest in a New Pound of it and they have now apparently cleaned up this Old classic Powder a bit according to the caption on the new Powder bottle that reads "Cleaner Burning Formula" I sat down and was a bit skeptical to say the least of the High Load formulas listed in this link, so rather than to start right out at the top of the load he suggested I chose to dump a charge of 3.6 Grains of Unique using the recommended 98 Grain Lead bullet. It showed promise compared to all the Older loadings I had all ready tried this load proved to be a bit magnumized in nature of report and recoil. I Observed that the case's showed no evidence of stretch but the Primers showed to be starting to flatten a bit, so It was time to increase the load again. I then Loaded 4.0 grains of Unique using the same bullet and it Proved to shrink the group a bit. This time the spent shells looked the same in Nature and the primers were a little Flatter than the first loads but still no real high pressure signs were being observed. I now plan on duplicating Hobies upper load of 4.3 with the lead bullets to see if it shrinks the group a tad bit more. I have to admit I had tried about all the load information out there and the Powders recommended and only saw mild performance or group results for all that I Loaded until member Tusker supplied me with this link. I felt all Avenues had been explored on this round. Apparently all the Load information I had seen was made up for weaker design revolvers and Perhaps that is why I never saw the real performance gains out of my K-32 until now, but rest assured if you have a larger frame revolver shooting these loads they appeared to be very safe and fun to fire. :) I later shot them in my Pre-30 Snub revolver which is the smaller-J-Frame offering and I must admit it felt almost magnum like with no pressure issues or problems encountered so now I will carry some of these loads on a daily Basis for self protection without Fear of Hurting the revolver. Below is the First target results using 3.6 grains of Powder and the 98 grain lead Bullet as I shot all 50 rounds into it to see what average the group showed. The second Target is shown using 4.0 Grains of Unique same bullet and this one is Three full cylinders of ammo being 18 rounds and I quickly saw how well the groups hrank so I must try the Maximum Load of 4.3 Next to see if it shrinks the groups even more. Have any of You expanded on this load in the past ? Perhaps you would like to add to this vintage Cartridge with some of your results ? Regards,Hammerdown

http://home.comcast.net/~parslowb/labels/Reloading.html

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/K-32TargetUnique3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/K-32TargetUnique4.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Expanding on the classic .32 S&W Long Cartridge for Revolvers. let's Hear your Opinions ?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
maxiball
10-28-2008, 08:44 AM
I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those bullets!
I never owned a firearm in 32 long of any sort and can't comment much other than to say the shooting is impressive!

Hammerdown
10-28-2008, 09:02 AM
I sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of those bullets!
I never owned a firearm in 32 long of any sort and can't comment much other than to say the shooting is impressive!

Hello Maxiball
The .32 Round has always been Known to be very accurate, but I want Velocity and accuracy in it..Hammerdown

If you enjoyed reading about "Expanding on the classic .32 S&W Long Cartridge for Revolvers. let's Hear your Opinions ?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!