Ruger SP101 ammo poll

PDA
wadcutter
12-30-2008, 05:09 PM
For those that CCW an SP101, what ammo do you carry?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP101 ammo poll" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Big Jake
12-30-2008, 08:01 PM
I USED to (liked the gun, needed cash at the time, haven't gotten around to getting another!). In .357 snubbies, I've almost ALWAYS carried .38 +P rounds. If I KNEW trouble was coming, I'd bump up to .357 rounds, but for everyday carry, +P .38 always seemed fine. :up:

wadcutter
12-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Most of the time I go with the .38 spl 158 grain +P load.

Hunt (crankshaft) Greer
12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Fortunately, I still have a small supply of Winchester Black Talons, You
know, those EVIL things You can't get anymore!

Sir Knight
12-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I USED to (liked the gun, needed cash at the time, haven't gotten around to getting another!). In .357 snubbies, I've almost ALWAYS carried .38 +P rounds. If I KNEW trouble was coming, I'd bump up to .357 rounds, but for everyday carry, +P .38 always seemed fine. :up:I also carry 158 gr .38 +P's in my J-frame size revolvers but if I knew trouble was coming, I would make it a point not to be there or be armed with one of my Sigs or Berettas with a couple of spare mags.

Sir Knight
12-30-2008, 09:35 PM
Fortunately, I still have a small supply of Winchester Black Talons, You
know, those EVIL things You can't get anymore!If I am not mistaken, the Ranger round is an improvement over the Black Talons and do not have that negative image associated with them.

EssPete
12-30-2008, 10:08 PM
I'm wanting a SP101 in .357mag. Should be interesting to see the results of this!

Popeye
12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
If I am not mistaken, the Ranger round is an improvement over the Black Talons and do not have that negative image associated with them.

That would be the Winchester Ranger SXT round.

Sir Knight
12-31-2008, 12:02 AM
Is there more than one Ranger type of ammo? Apparently there is based on what you said. Besides the SXT, what other Ranger ammo is there?

Popeye
12-31-2008, 01:47 AM
I believe the SXT name has been discontinued. It is now called T. Both are the evil Black Tallon projectile, sans the black teflon coating.

Winchester Ranger also offers a "conventional" projectile loading for less money.

demented
12-31-2008, 02:24 AM
For general carry, I use .38 all lead plus P 158gr lead hollowpoints. On the rare occassion that I feel that I might need something a bit more powerful (wild dogs, etc) or something with a bit more range, I prefer WW 145gr. full power Silvertips. In the past when they were more redily available around here, I liked to use .357 110 jktd HP's as they seemed to have less recoil than other .357 loads.

Stevejet
12-31-2008, 02:29 AM
SP101 in 3 inch barrel, 158 gr. lead semi-wadcutter (broad nose) loaded to 960-100 fps for a 6 inch barrel gun. Lose about 50 fps from 3 inch barrel, but always go with the "throw-weight".

Sir Knight
12-31-2008, 03:52 AM
I believe the SXT name has been discontinued. It is now called T. Both are the evil Black Tallon projectile, sans the black teflon coating.

Winchester Ranger also offers a "conventional" projectile loading for less money.This is what I was going by ... About 10 years or so ago Winchester came out with the Black Talon. So called due to the black coating of the bullet (lubox or lubealloy)designed to reduce friction and heat buildup in the barrel as well at the bullets very novel expansion qualities. Instead of simply expanding, the bullet "peeled" to create what were known as "talons" which did a very respectable job of acting like a food processor in the wound track.
The bullet worked great. It worked even better in the mind of Congress and the public and Winchester pulled them off the market.
Rather than going the way of other "evil" products such as the Lawn Dart, Winchester took the coating off, made the bullet an even more efficient food processor and dubbed it the SXT (Supreme Expansion Technology).
Winchester reintroduced this ammo as the Ranger T series and markets it only to LEO and Military. You wont find this at Walley World.
Ranger T's have greater performance and stopping power that the original Talons. This is some of the most extensively tested ammo ever developed. Winchester actively tries to keep Rangers only in the hands of LEO/Mil and out of the hands of civilian shooters. It's Winchesters rule not a law so its perfectly legal to own and use (state and local silliness aside).
There is no guarantee that Rangers will be available in the future and since history repeats itself, there is every reason to predict they will not.

Demand for this ammo is far out pacing supply - in other words it's damn hard to get reliably.

Original BT's are still available at outrageous prices and about 10 years worth of dust.

JUST A NOTE:
There has been a ton of questions lately regarding the Ranger rounds.
The first question has to do with WInchester's designations - T, SXT. The answer to is this T or SXT is "YES".
The SXT is the bullet designation. The T at the end of the round designation (RA45T) means that it is a Law Enforcement round - or the good stuff.

The second question is about the "NEW" Ranger rounds. The answer there is that Winchester is at some point going to put out what they call an "enhanced" round. Ive read an article touting its enhanced expansion capabilities but no one at Winchester will say if the new rounds will have a new designation.
The rounds we get in are current (2008) production and do appear slightly different, but there is nothing that screams out "enhanced".
So I guess the answer is that the T series is the top round, if its enhanced then its still the top round. If not - well top is still top! ... Source (http://www.tds-us.com/catalog.php/tds/dt44310/Ranger_Talon_LEO).

Popeye
12-31-2008, 10:32 AM
In my hands, right now, is a box of Winchester Ranger, Law Enforcement Ammunition, .40 S&W, 155 gr JHP (RA40155HP). This does not contain a Black Talon/SXT/T projectile. It appears to be a standard JHP round.

Also, .38 Special +P+, 110 gr Jacketed HP (RA38110HP+) contains a standard semi jacketed HP projectile.

will46
12-31-2008, 01:25 PM
I have a S&W, not a Ruger, but the ammo is 110 or 125 gr. +P .38 spl. The Winchester T sounds like a great choice.

wadcutter
12-31-2008, 06:14 PM
I am surprised that the FULL VELOCITY 125 grain .357 is leading in the polls. Have any of you guys who voted such actually touched one off in a SP101? It won't break your hand, but the recoil in an SP101 is over the top for fast followup shots, at least for me. I find the .357 110 jhp much easier to shoot for speed.

budroe
12-31-2008, 06:30 PM
I don't have an sp101 either. In my model 60 I usually have 158gr +Ps (old FBI load). In my 3" model 66 I like the .357 magnum 125 gr JHP full velocity load. Both these loads have worked for me when I really needed them to.

Plinker
12-31-2008, 07:15 PM
I have a 640 S&W, keep 357 110gr jhp in it all the time.;)

res
12-31-2008, 10:24 PM
I am surprised that the FULL VELOCITY 125 grain .357 is leading in the polls. Have any of you guys who voted such actually touched one off in a SP101? It won't break your hand, but the recoil in an SP101 is over the top for fast followup shots, at least for me. I find the .357 110 jhp much easier to shoot for speed.
I was one that put down the full velocity. I carry my 40 the vast majority of the time now but about 4 years ago I carried the SP quite a bit. Yes, I have fired a LOT of full house rounds. Now, I also need to let you know my SP sports a very nice Hogue grip that fits my hand quite well. It does give a LOT more control over the factory grip. Rick

will46
01-01-2009, 08:52 PM
I sometimes touch off some full-velocity 125 gr. .357 mags in my 13 oz S&W 340 SS. I can shoot a whole cylinder before I stop to hop around and shake my right hand while yelling "S*** that stings". My wife refers to this as my victory dance. I think she is being sarcastic.

shep854
01-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Before my SP was stolen, I carried .38Sp 110gr +P+ (the "Treasury Load"). I never got the courage up to try full-bull .357s. I voted the 158gr +P (the old "FBI Load").

will46
01-01-2009, 10:02 PM
Smith and Wesson's have this nice checkering on the cylinder release. My lightweight snubby cylinder release does this to my thumb even with standard velocity .38 spl. Any ideas on how to stop it? It doesn't really bother me, it's just an abrasion, but people do tend to notice the blood running down my hand. On the plus side, it gives my wife something to talk about when the girls start into a "How dumb are men? Betcha can't top THIS!" session.

Old John
01-02-2009, 10:07 AM
When I'm carrying the Ruger SP101, I'm most likely carrying .357 magnum, 110gr HJHP's. But sometimes it's full velocity 125 gr.JHP's.

When I'm carrying my Ruger GP100, I'm most likely carrying .357 magnum, full velocity 125 gr. JHP's. But, sometimes it's 145 gr. Win.Silvertips or 110gr. JHP's One or the other. But I'm never carrying .38 special Plus P's.
Power is a good thing.

lonevoice
01-04-2009, 03:37 PM
Buffalo Bore 158gr. Speer Gold Dots. IIRC they're kinda quick; about 1000fps or so. Other than that, it's the 145gr. Silver Tips for me.:D Used to run HydroShoks but with that short barrel there was a LOT of blast for the return, at least to me.

Another point, with any of these, the Hogues are a must.

FotoTomas
01-06-2009, 12:58 AM
My Smith and Wesson Model 19 Combat Magnum is on my hip right now with .357 Magnum Remington 125 grain JHPs. The two speedloaders each have Remington 125 grain JHP .38 special +P's. This allows for the spare ammo to be used in the S&W Model 38 Bodyguard I carry as a pocket rocket.

If I were to get another .357 SP101 then I would carry either the 158 LSWCHPs in +P variety or the 125 Magnum fodder. I like wheelguns and am willing to suffer a few cylinders of the hot stuff to be current.

Having said all of the above I answered "other" in the poll. The next SP101 I want is in 9mm. It will be loaded up with the Winchester 127 grain Ranger T +P 9mm I carry in my off duty Beretta. I have a crack at a Ruger Speed Six in 9mm as well. It will make a great belt gun and the SP101 on the ankle would be the perfect pair. Of course the cost of these 9mm wonder guns is out of sight. :(

opsboss
01-06-2009, 01:32 AM
I wonít skew your polling by voting as I donít actually have an SP101. Personally, Iím partial to 41-framed .357s (S&W L-frame, Python, etc.). In those I carry full-velocity 125-grains (Fed C357B or Rem R357M1).

Have I touched off any in an SP101? Nope. Have I touched off any in an L-frame or Python. Oh yeah, plenty. No big thing.

Best, Ops

wadcutter
01-06-2009, 05:31 PM
It's not that the recoil hurts, it's that it slows down recovery time for shooting at speed.

I can fire 158 grain magnums in my 3" SP101 and fire them fast and stay on center mass. For some reason the load just doesn't rock my hand that hard. I don't carry them for defense though because of excessive penetration.

The full velocity 125 grain magnum loads are right on the edge of contrability for me in an SP101 and they slow my time down for shooting at speed. They don't do that in my GP100, but they do in my SP101. Same goes for Winchester's 140 grain Silvertips, my load of choice in my GP100 and Blackhawk.

I haven't tried the reduced power Remington 125 grain Golden Sabers, which were designed for lightweight .357 snubbies, but I may get around to picking up a box or two. Until then, I'll stick with either 158 grain .38spl or 110 grain magnums in the SP and leave the 140 grain Silvertips in my full sized revolvers.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger SP101 ammo poll" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!