Accessories for Ruger GP-100?

PDA
Deb Mc
07-01-2001, 09:08 PM
While I'm saving my pennies for next year's EOSMIII, I'd like to "perk up" my GP-100. Perhaps new grips (something that isn't too fat, that would fit a normal ladies' hand), sights or such.

Does anyone here own a Ruger and what accessories would be good for the GP-100, please?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Accessories for Ruger GP-100?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
sensop
07-02-2001, 01:05 AM
Ammo! Seriously, I'll look around and see if there is a downsized grip.

I like mine bone stock. What exactly have you got ...2, 4 or 6 inch? Blue or stainless? Full underlug? Adjustable sights are standard I believe.

I picked mine up last year from an EOSMer and I like it. 4 inch, stailess, full underlugged barrel. It needs a six inch brother :).

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: sensop ]

Deb Mc
07-02-2001, 05:05 PM
Hey there, Sensop!

She's a sweetie, with a 4" barrel, stainless steel, has adjustable sights and black rubber/wood inlay grips (factory standard?).

I'm not sure about the full underlug(?) since I'm not sure what that means.

Bone stock? What's that, please? (Being a newbie, I'm a little low on the learning curve here...) ;)

Thanks!

sensop
07-02-2001, 05:57 PM
Okay ... "bone stock" = stock to the bone, as in no after market modifications. You won't be a newbie long ... :)

A full under lug barrel can be identified by a seemingly purposeless, squared-off, mass of metal extending about 5/8 inch below the barrel all the way out to the muzzle, as opposed to the barrel going round right in front of the ejector shroud. The full under lug is heavier, but it has the advantage of added mass for steadier sighting and resistance to recoil jump. All-in-all a good thing, if you can hold it up.

Yes the rubber grips with the wooden inserts are stock. Aren't they attractive?

Gunslinger
07-02-2001, 06:20 PM
Deb, don't feel bad. There are times when Sensop is difficult even for a seasoned gun person to understand. :D It is a shame you will not be at EOSMII to see him wearing the tutu. ;) (See related thread in this forum.)

Your grips are in fact orginal manufacture equipment, which brings us to one of the points you asked about. "Bone stock" simply refers to the gun being "stock" as it left the factory with no modifications or changes.
A full underlug is a revolver with a full legth lug entending below the barrel. In other words the ejector housing that is a portion of the barrel that protects the ejector rod runs completely to the end of the barrel. One of these folks that are good at locating and posting photos may come along and post an example. ;)
To continue the Sensop to normal person translation I think what he may mean about ammo is that is the best thing you can get for it. There is nothing else that you can spend money on the gun that will improve it's performance more so than more practice ammo for yourself. He is the practical sort. I, on the other hand, am not and enjoy a certain sence of flash and style. Hence the number of "pimp" guns in my collection. :D
So if you are asking because you want to improve your scores more ammo is the best thing to spend money on. If, however, you are asking because you want to personalize your gun so it is unique to you I can offer a couple of suggestions.
You can pick up some Flitz or equivalent metal polish and, following the directions using a soft cloth, polish the stainless to a mirror shine. This really does nothing to improve performance but it sure is purdy. You can do the polishing while sitting and watching television or whatever. It is not difficult to do. You can find Flitz at gun shows or other metal polishes at automotive supply stores. Just be sure it is a fine polish and recommended for stainless steel.
Another suggestion is grips. All of my serious guns wear home made custom grips. Start with a pair of wooden over size grips that are too large for your hand. Place them on the gun and grip it as you would to shoot it. Then carefully trace around your fingers with a pen. Take a rat tail file and begin removing wood where your fingers go. Check periodically to be sure you are not getting too thin in areas. You can also lower areas where the swell of your palm rest, etc.. Once you get into it you'll get the idea and probably have fun with it. After they fit your hand right use sandpaper to get them smooth. You can start with a more course grit....say 240 and work down until they are smooth enough to suit your taste....I got all the way to 2000 grit. Then just finish them with a polyurethane based wood finish in the color of your choice. If you do it and have questions feel free to ask here on the board.
Another area is custom springs from places like Wolfe. However, since this is your only defensive sidearm I would recommend against them at this time. But if you would like more info on springs just ask.

Gunslinger
07-02-2001, 06:22 PM
Sensop, posted as I was writting and had already answered your previous questions. But I still fill out a tutu better. :D

Deb Mc
07-02-2001, 07:15 PM
Sensop and Gunslinger,

Thanks!

Ok, yes, she does have a full underlug - it makes the pistol look really futuristic. Pretty neat!

I'll be buying more ammo here pretty soon - I need to get back to the range and keep practicing. (I'd been saving my money for EOSMII - we were all really looking forward to it! We're planning, God Willing, to attend next year though - it sounds like it will be a lot of fun.)

Gunslinger,

I have to admit, I like the look of pearl grips and gold. It looks really purdy - how something that pretty can have such a bad name, like "Pimp gun" I just don't know. ;)

Are there revolvers that have pearl grips and gold? (Not that I have cheap tastes or anything...) :rolleyes:

P.S. Please, please, please take LOTS of photos of the tutu contest! I have got to see this!

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: Deb Mc ]

sensop
07-02-2001, 07:22 PM
"... the Sensop to normal person translation ..." :D Nicely phrased. I do my best ... :)

Deb, Gunslinger is an authoritative source for custon grips, as far as I am concerned. And he does fill out a tutu rather nicely, according to Terri ... :D

[ 07-02-2001: Message edited by: sensop ]

redhawk44p
07-03-2001, 06:11 PM
This is the place to find grips for a GP. I put the compact grip on mine with some nice inserts. Lett Grips (http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/webpage.cfm?WebPage_ID=14&DID=41)

sensop
07-04-2001, 06:20 PM
Redhawk,

I don't see a Compact grip on the site. Where is it?

Deb Mc
07-04-2001, 08:45 PM
Sensop and Redhawk,

Thanks! I love all those custom wood grips too. So many goodies, so little time... (Great hunt pics too, Redhawk! My dad's going to love your "deer hunter" pic.)

Sensop,

It's down under the "Rubber grips" section (sort of hidden down near the bottom of the page)...
http://www.shooterstore.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=41&CATID=301&ObjectGroup_ID=152

Gunslinger
07-04-2001, 10:05 PM
Deb, I took the liberty of starting another topic here in the Revolver Forum to see if anyone knows of a source for synthetic grips for the GP100. I looked at Ajax and they have none. The Ajax grips are as easy or easier to "work" and shape as wood and requires the same procedure.

Fancy grips and a polish job will get you well on your way to have a real "pimp" gun. ;) But let 'em kid you too much. I've got several in my collection that would be the envy of any pimp. :D

Gunslinger
07-04-2001, 10:06 PM
Oops. Forgot the link. :o
http://www.familyfriendsfirearms.com/cgi-bin/fff/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000022

Deb Mc
07-06-2001, 05:49 PM
Bill,

Thanks! Though expensive, those ivory handles are *sweet*!

If you enjoyed reading about "Accessories for Ruger GP-100?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!