How to refinish a wood stock?

PDA
Doc Nonverbal
02-23-2009, 11:52 AM
Hello all,

I'd like to try my hand at refinishing a shotgun stock. The wood looks nice, but it's lacking lustre and depth. I'm just not sure how to go about doing this. I figured I'd start with Formby's to strip off the old oils, then go over the stock with 600 grit sandpaper, then rubbing compounds up to rottenstone. I figured I'd seal it with linseed oil.

I'd love to be able to strip it down to bare wood and pick a different stain, but the fore-end is ribbed, which might make this tricky to do.

Any advice you could offer would be very much appreciated!

David

If you enjoyed reading about "How to refinish a wood stock?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
rotorhead
02-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Look at Brownell's website for some good instruction on refinishing stocks. It is a waste of time to use 600 grit paper and rotten stone on bare wood. These are used to add a final polish to the dried finish. There are lots of helps on-line that can get you in the right direction

Doc Nonverbal
02-24-2009, 12:15 PM
Look at Brownell's website for some good instruction on refinishing stocks. It is a waste of time to use 600 grit paper and rotten stone on bare wood. These are used to add a final polish to the dried finish. There are lots of helps on-line that can get you in the right direction

Thank you very much! I just looked on the Brownell's site and you're right - there is a wealth of information there on all sorts of topics. Thank you for pointing me towards this resource!

Still the Chief
02-24-2009, 01:49 PM
I never touch it with sand paper, use 000 steel wool and acetone, thats what the striper you buy is. Rub the finish off with this and polish the wood with the steel wool use dental picks to clean out the checkering then you can use what ever stain you want. Chief

Doc Nonverbal
02-24-2009, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Chief!

Still the Chief
02-24-2009, 04:43 PM
This will strip it down to bare wood?
Yes, does an excellent job, Pour some acetone in a dish and soak the steel wool and have a ball, don't forget some rubber gloves of some sort acetone is rough on the fingers, I refinish/ restore old furniture as a hobby thing and i done several gun stocks and wood pistol grips with this.

Doc Nonverbal
02-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Yes, does an excellent job, Pour some acetone in a dish and soak the steel wool and have a ball, don't forget some rubber gloves of some sort acetone is rough on the fingers, I refinish/ restore old furniture as a hobby thing and i done several gun stocks and wood pistol grips with this.

Thanks, Chief. Can you offer any advice on stains and finishes? I'm looking for a reddish brown pre-64 Winchester look with a high-gloss finish.

Still the Chief
02-24-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks, Chief. Can you offer any advice on stains and finishes? I'm looking for a reddish brown pre-64 Winchester look with a high-gloss finish.
Go to home depot or lowes and pick out what you like , if it isn't dark enough let it dry good and put another coat, for a finish just use a spray can its easyer. Good luck remember if you don't like the end result just get the acetone and steel wool and do it again. Instead of a finish i like to get some old english scratch cover for dark wood and rub a few coats of this in. I'll get the wifes camera and try to post some pictures of some of my projects.

Barkley
02-24-2009, 10:00 PM
I never touch it with sand paper, use 000 steel wool and acetone, thats what the striper you buy is. Rub the finish off with this and polish the wood with the steel wool use dental picks to clean out the checkering then you can use what ever stain you want. Chief

Be sure to use acetone in a VERY well ventilated area, you know outdoors, unless you enjoy waking up dead. It's vapor point is very low and is poisonous as all get out.

Doc Nonverbal
02-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Thanks, Chief. I'd really like to see your work. I'm currently leaning towards trying a Winchester pre-64 gunstock finish from Brownell's, then rubbing the stock with linseed oil.

Is it necessary or wise to use carnauba wax to seal it afterwards?

Thank you for sharing your experience - I really appreciate it.

Doc Nonverbal
02-24-2009, 10:07 PM
Be sure to use acetone in a VERY well ventilated area, you know outdoors, unless you enjoy waking up dead. It's vapor point is very low and is poisonous as all get out.

Thank you for the warning! I won't be doing this in the basement as planned....

Hopefully the weather will cooperate, as it has been rather windy here lately. I wouldn't want that stuff spraying around.

Still the Chief
02-25-2009, 03:21 PM
Well i don't know if these pictures will come through or not?? The first shot is of my little Smith 622 anyone who has ever had one knows how crude the wood work is, i filed down and reshaped the rough edges and polished them down with the steel wool and started rubbing the old english in maybe a dozen times followed by more polishing with the steel wool i have put no sealer of any kind on them. The shot gun is an old Stevens, i removed all the old finish and rubbed in a few coats of walnut stain followed by automotive clear sealer in a spray can from Advance auto. And the rifle stock i don't like the flat finish so i'm going to buff it down with the steel wool and try some clear gloss on it.

Still the Chief
02-25-2009, 03:25 PM
Thanks, Chief. I'd really like to see your work. I'm currently leaning towards trying a Winchester pre-64 gunstock finish from Brownell's, then rubbing the stock with linseed oil.

Is it necessary or wise to use carnauba wax to seal it afterwards?

Thank you for sharing your experience - I really appreciate it.
I have never used carnauba wax but you do need to use some kind of sealer or the sweat from your hands will darken the finish. I am far from an expert in this, no one showed me what to or not to do i just jumped in and did it.

Doc Nonverbal
02-25-2009, 03:56 PM
You do beautiful work - the photos are great! I'm looking forward to getting started on this. The shotgun doesn't have any checkering, so that should make life a bit easier.

Now I just need to get the supplies from Brownells and I'll be cooking with gas.

Thanks again for your help and guidance. I'll post my results here.

Still the Chief
02-25-2009, 09:12 PM
You do beautiful work - the photos are great! I'm looking forward to getting started on this. The shotgun doesn't have any checkering, so that should make life a bit easier.

Now I just need to get the supplies from Brownells and I'll be cooking with gas.

Thanks again for your help and guidance. I'll post my results here.
Save you money, just go to home depot and get a gallon of acetone a bag of 0000 steel wool and some good rubber gloves and go from there.

Chuck Langenderfer
02-25-2009, 09:48 PM
Sandpaper and 0000 wool . Lots of elbow grease and then Tru oil-NO stain. The color noture put into the wood is wonderful. You will be surprised how great it will look. Finish with tru-oil wooled off to matte finish.

Doc Nonverbal
02-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Save you money, just go to home depot and get a gallon of acetone a bag of 0000 steel wool and some good rubber gloves and go from there.

I will definitely strip the stock with acetone. I'd like to get a really nice red-brown pre-64 Winchester stain. I'm leaning towards Pilkington's at this point.

Doc Nonverbal
02-25-2009, 10:06 PM
Sandpaper and 0000 wool . Lots of elbow grease and then Tru oil-NO stain. The color noture put into the wood is wonderful. You will be surprised how great it will look. Finish with tru-oil wooled off to matte finish.

I have heard that Tru-Oil makes for a beautiful finish. I'm trying to get some more red into the stock, as it's a little too yellow at this point.

I guess I can always do it over if I don't like what I'm seeing.

If you enjoyed reading about "How to refinish a wood stock?" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!