Mobil 1 synthetic/ gun lubrication???

PDA
Ringo2
10-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Does anyone lube their guns with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil? If so, how do you rate it?

If you enjoyed reading about "Mobil 1 synthetic/ gun lubrication???" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!
Williamlayton
10-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I have never used it but there are those who do and the theories behind it are valid.
It is a good oit and I believe that some use synthetic as a grease--
Blessings

Desertrat
10-09-2010, 08:44 AM
I have been using Mobil 1 ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) for years on my AKs and SKSs. It started out as an experiment and it works so well I just kept on using it. ATF has detergents for cleaning the trannies internally, which takes care of the corrosive primer residue in the barrels and gas tubes, is made for extreme temperatures generated by auto trannies and is a super-lube and preservative. The only drawback is the funky smell. :up:

deputy
10-09-2010, 09:38 AM
never tried it........but i still like options..........

BigSlick
10-09-2010, 04:25 PM
I use the synthetic grease on my Glocks. 2 years and no problems.

Ringo2
10-09-2010, 04:59 PM
It's a fact that any synthetic oil is better than mineral oil, that's a good starting point. I've used Rem Oil for a long time and like it, so I thought I'd experiment and mix 1/2 Rem Oil with 1/2 Mobil 1 15-50 that I run in my Harley. Wow, a really sweet texture that's hard to beat. :up:

bluedlightning
10-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I tried ATF on my marlin 22 one time, worked prety good but destroyed the plastic buffer. Stick with Rem Oil only now.

THE DUKE OF ESSEX
10-09-2010, 07:33 PM
They all work good but I still use Hoppe's #9. Rem-oil tends to get gummy so I use it for cleaning only. All the Gun smiths I talk to swear by Mobil one.

Ringo2
10-10-2010, 03:38 AM
They all work good but I still use Hoppe's #9. Rem-oil tends to get gummy so I use it for cleaning only. All the Gun smiths I talk to swear by Mobil one.
Good to know.

Barbwire
10-10-2010, 02:59 PM
I use Mobil 1 and really like it. A quart should last me for the rest of my life too.

efield
10-11-2010, 08:36 AM
The attached website is an article by Grant Cunningham, a noted gunsmith. His website is very informative on other subjects as well. It is a very good read about lubricants and their properties specifically for guns. He says that you really can't go wrong using Dexron-type ATF.

http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

GUNDOC454
10-17-2010, 06:24 PM
I THINK THE POINT THAT IS GETTING MISSED HERE IS THAT IN THE AMOUNTS OF OIL THAT SHOULD BE USED ON A GUN ARE SO SMALL THAT WETHER YOU USE A SYNTHETIC OR ANY OTHER "QUALITY" LUBRICANT IT REALLY DOESN'T MAKE ANY MEASURABLE DIFFERENCE TO YOUR GUNS LIFE. ITS NOT LIKE WERE USING IT LIKE WE USE A CARS ENGINE. I READ SOMEONE DISCUSSING THE MOBIL ONE'S DETERGENT QUALITIES. IF YOUR USING ENOUGH OIL TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO USING THOSE QUALITIES YOUR OVER LUBRICATING YOUR GUN. REMEMBER ENGINE OIL AND ATF IS USED IN LARGE QUANTITIES NOT DROPS SPREAD OUT OVER ALL THE PARTS WHERE YOU CANT SEE THE OIL AS A LIQUID....GUNS DON'T USE RESERVOIRS...IT SHOULD BE A FILM ONLY.......SOME HAVE LESSER LUBRICATING QUALITIES THAT OTHERS BUT I'M TALKING ABOUT QUALITY LUBRICANTS AND NOT USING "WD-40" AS A LUBRICANT. JUST FOR QUALIFICATION WD-40 IS A "WATER DISPLACING LIQUID" NOT A LUBRICANT.
I HAVE USED EVERY TYPE OF LUBRICANTS IMAGIABLE OVER THE PAST 30 YEARS AND UNLESS SOMEONE CAN SHOW ME AN ACTUAL TEST COMPARISON OF WEAR IN A GUN AS WE USE IT BETWEEN THE QUALITY LUBRICANTS, MOST PEOPLE CHOOSE ONE THAT DOES THE JOB AND SMELLS GOOD.......... OTHERS MAY USE ENGINE OIL OR ATF'S AND OTHERS THAT YOU CAN PURCHASE IN BULK THAT COSTS VERY LITTLE FOR THE QUANTITY YOU GET THEY ALL WILL WORK QUITE WELL. I WORK ON GUNS EVERY DAY AND USE PROBABLY 100 TIME MORE OIL THAN THE AVERAGE GUN ENTHUSIAST IN A YEAR AND I LIKE BREAKFREE CLP BECAUSE I LIKE THE WAY IT SMELLS!!!!!!!! I'LL SPENT THE $6.00 FOR 4OZ BOTTLE BECAUSE IT LASTS SO LONG & IT ALSO WORKS GREAT..........:up::up::up::up::up:

Ringo2
10-17-2010, 07:17 PM
I've noticed that after "adding" Mobil 1 to my regular gun oil that the cylinders & barrels of my guns stay lubed much longer.

boris007
10-18-2010, 10:26 AM
always used rem oil and hoppe's # 9 too. might try mobil 1 though because gundoc is right about too much lube. floating around somewhere is a recipe for ed's red that i have heard people swear by. i never tried it though. i have used wd-40 in a pinch though. but i wouldn't make it a habit!

Ringo2
10-18-2010, 01:53 PM
always used rem oil and hoppe's # 9 too. might try mobil 1 though because gundoc is right about too much lube. floating around somewhere is a recipe for ed's red that i have heard people swear by. i never tried it though. i have used wd-40 in a pinch though. but i wouldn't make it a habit!
Try mixing 1/3 Mobil 1 (syn) with 2/3 Rem Oil. You'll like it! :up:

10-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Anything is better than nothing. Metal on metal is "bad ju ju". Have used motor oil more than one time and glad to get it.

BigSwede
10-19-2010, 11:26 AM
JUST FOR QUALIFICATION WD-40 IS A "WATER DISPLACING LIQUID" NOT A LUBRICANT.
Doesn't mean it won't work as a lubricant...Teflon wasn't designed for skillets either, but I bet you have some Teflon skillets in your house.

Not that I'm advocating WD40 for guns, I think there are better choices. I'm just saying that there are lots of things we use because we found out they work by accident, not because they were specifically designed for that use.

GUNDOC454
10-19-2010, 12:48 PM
YA KNOW, I'VE USED WD-40 FOR EVER FOR A LOT OF THINGS. WHEN I WAS IN THE ARMY THEY ADVOCATED USING IT ON THE GUNS AND NOT JUST SMALL ARMS. BUT REMEMBER WHAT IT WAS CONSTRUCTED FOR. IT IS AS THE NAME STATES "WD= WATER DISPLACING" IT ALSO IS DESIGNED AS A PENETRANT WHICH IS OK BUT IT DISSOLVES OILS AND GREASES.THE REASON WHY IT STOPS SMALL SQUEAKS IS BECAUSE IT CLEANS THE INTERNAL BEARINGS FROM THE DIRT OR PARTICLES THAT ARE RESTRICTING THE MOVEMENT OF THE BEARINGS. ON BELTS IT CAUSES THE RUBBER TO BE A LITTLE STICKY AND CLEANS THE PULLEY SO IT GRABS FOR A WHILE THEN ID DEHYDRATES AND YOU NEED TO DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. I USE IT AS A FINISH CLEANER FOR MY BLUING TO REMOVE THE DENSE OIL THAT IS USED TO NEUTRALIZE THE REMAINING BLUING SALTS THAT ARE LEFT OVER AFTER THE RINSE PROCESS. THIS REMOVES ANY REMAINING WATER PARTICLES LEFT ON A FRESHLY BLUES PART. I ALSO USE IT MIXED WITH KEROSENE TO CLEAN STOCKS AND REMOVE COSMOLINE FROM THE OLD MILITARY STOCKS. BECAUSE OF ITS COMPOSITION IT EVAPORATES VERY QUICKLY BUT LEAVES NO RESIDUE. IT SHOULD NOT BE USED AS ANY LUBRICANT. STICK WITH WHAT YOU LIKE FOR OILS OR MIX IF YOU FELL THAT IT LASTS LONGER BUT IF YOU SEE THAT IT IS VISIBLE LONGER YOUR USING TOO MUCH.:up::up::up:

SORRY DON'T MEAN TO BE REPETITIOUS OR TRY TO LECTURE ANYONE JUST PASS ON SOME LEARNED INFO.........:D

Centaur 1
11-06-2010, 09:49 PM
WD-40 was designed for General Dynamics for use on their Atlas Rocket. Prior to being used as a space launch vehicle, the Atlas rocket was an ICBM that the Air Force deployed from missile silos in the midwest. The Atlas ICBM was replaced by the Titan ICBM because it used hypergolic propellants versus the cryogenic propellants in the Atlas. Since cryogenics had to be loaded just prior to launch, the Atlas could not be launched in a retalitory attack without first taking precious time to fuel it. So the Atlas' were removed from the silo's and Titans went in. This all happened at the same time that Russia launched Sputnik, so the Atlas rockets were shipped down here to Cape Canaveral Air Force Station to be used for space launch vehicles. It seems that Florida is much more humid than Kansas. The first time that they tried to launch one, it was covered with so much frozen condensation that it weighed too much to get off the ground. Here's where WD-40 got it's start. General Dynamics had us technicians paint the outside of the rocket with WD-40. All of the thinners would evaporate and leave a thin film on the skin of the rocket. When liquid oxygen was pumped into the tank it still froze solid with condensation just like it always did. But now that there was an underlying coat of WD-40 under the ice, when the Rocketdyne engines were ignited, the vibrations from the engines would cause the ice to break free and fall from the tank.

In a nutshell, WD-40 wasn't designed to have any lubricating qualities. The fact that it works so well just proves that things like guns don't put much of a demand on lubricants. I read that same article from Grant Cunningham quite some time ago and I use ATF also on my guns. Motor oil will work just fine, but it contains additives to combat the byproducts of cumbustion inside an engine. Not only are these additives not needed but they are no good on your skin. Most people aren't effected by them, but I have chemical induced eczema on my hands and motor oil aggravates this condition. Chances are that I would never have the eczema if I hadn't exposed myself to so many harsh oils and chemicals over the years. It's not worth it to save about $4 every ten years on gun oil.

Ringo2
11-07-2010, 04:20 AM
I don't use WD-40 anymore, but I use to and never had a single complaint or problem. I used it for many years as a lube when I use to shoot a Colt 1911 .45 and the gun performed flawlessly. When I traded it to a gunsmith, he remarked about how smooth it functioned and how the finish was like new. Can't knock it regardless of what anyone says. :up:

ronwill
11-07-2010, 08:21 AM
I've always been a big believer in using products for what they were designed for. I think I'll stick with Rem Oil for my guns.

38super
11-07-2010, 12:18 PM
That was an interesting article from a gunsmith, nice to see some one that's done their homework. I've used ATF to oil lap slides, just never used it as a general lube. I'd rather pay a couple bucks a quart than 8 for a couple ounces.

BigBlue
11-08-2010, 07:58 PM
I like Kroil for cleaning, especially in the bore and small parts soaked overnight. Usually I just use Hoppes gun oil as a lube. I'm sure willing to try Mobil One and see how it works for me.
Don

Ringo2
11-09-2010, 12:57 AM
I like Kroil for cleaning, especially in the bore and small parts soaked overnight. Usually I just use Hoppes gun oil as a lube. I'm sure willing to try Mobil One and see how it works for me.
Don
Try blending 2/3 Hoppes & 1/3 MOBILE 1, you'll like it. :up:

GunshowJunkie
11-11-2010, 06:46 AM
Lucas Oil, Which makes mostly automotive and motorcycle products, makes a fine gun oil as well. I picked up a couple of bottles at a Lucas booth at an Easyriders Motorcycle show a few years back. Stuff works great, and a little dab'll do ya. Prior to that, always used Hoppe's. Nothing against synthetics, run Mobil 1 in my car and Syn 3 in my Harley, but they both get a lot more use than any of my guns.

Ringo2
11-11-2010, 02:02 PM
run Mobil 1 in my car and Syn 3 in my Harley, but they both get a lot more use than any of my guns.
Use the Mobil 1 in your Harley (engine & tranny) and dump the Syn 3 as fast as you can. Syn 3 is the lousiest synthetic on the market, nothing but Harley name & HYPE. Believe me, you'll notice a big difference and never look back. Now, back to gun lubricants....

GunshowJunkie
11-12-2010, 08:51 AM
I was cleaning guns yesterday after a day at the range and noticed that the Lucas Gun oil did kinda look like ATF or hydraulic fluid of some type. Coincidence?

billt
12-23-2010, 06:50 AM
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50/billt460/Mobil1FirearmsLubricant001.jpg

I have been involved in guns and the shooting sports since I received my first .22 at age 11 in 1963, 47 years ago. 38 of those years were spent in the rust belt, in and around Chicago, Illinois. The remainder have been in Arizona.

All I have ever used to lubricate my firearms is Mobil 1 Motor Oil, ATF, (Automatic Transmission Fluid), and for very high pressure friction points like bolt lugs on bolt action rifles and hinge pins on O/U shotguns I will use a small amount of STP. I have never had a a gun rust or fail because of a lubrication issue in over 45 years.

Gun oils and greases are overpriced "snake oils" in fancy packaging, nothing more. Know what a Castrol Rep told me your getting when you spend $8.00 for a bottle of "Castrol / Hoppes Synthetic Gun Oil"? Castrol Syntec Motor Oil with an emulsifier added to it. You can buy it all day for around $4.50 @ quart, or pay $8.00 for 4 ounces of it in a fancy brushed Aluminum pump bottle. Same with a lot of these "Gun Greases".

Go into any auto parts store and you can buy a large tube of Moly Grease that will last the average shooter a lifetime for a couple of bucks. It's as good, or better than these miracle gun greases they sell for over $10.00 for a 1/4 ounce! An even better product is the Mobil 1 Synthetic Grease. It comes in a 1 pound tub for around $6.00. If you like the fancy hypo type applicator, you can get one at Walgreens, or most any other drug store for around .25 to .50 cents, and it's refillable too boot.

Mobil 1 can be tailored to your climate just as you would if you used it in your car. If you shoot or hunt in very frigid climate it comes in a 0W-20 grade that won't stiffen up in cold weather. Here in Arizona we don't get much cold weather, but in the Summer it can get blistering hot so I use the 10W-40 or the 20W-50 grade. It has a nice viscosity that won't run off metal and dry up in a few days like some of these water thin gun oils like "Rem-Oil" will. Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Lube has an even higher viscosity that works well on guns that tend to be run at higher temperatures like AR-15's and AK-47's. It comes in a 75W-140 Grade.

ATF is a very clean non gumming lubricant that works well for lubricating semi autos and fast moving parts like slides and even trigger mechanisms. I'm not a believer of these so called "dry lubes". 47 years of shooting has taught me one very simple fact. If I can see oil on my firearms, I know I won't be seeing any rust.

All 3 of these products can be purchased at any auto parts store for around $20.00, and will last the average shooter for years, if not a lifetime. I won't overpay for these gun lubes that do nothing better except make you poorer. Bill T.

The Racker
12-27-2010, 04:28 PM
I only recall one use of Mobil 1 ATF. After some training (while it was raining), I wiped down my AR before shooting about 3 mags of ammo. I normally use LSA (I bought it in quanity in the past and it works well. Too many people think that an oil product is all they need. As a person that shoots M1's, I can tell you that you need a better lube on the pieces in the rifle that function against one another. This is true for many firearms. Someone said that a dirty firearm and lube will funtion where a dry one will not. This is very true.

Desertrat
01-16-2011, 08:42 AM
I I READ SOMEONE DISCUSSING THE MOBIL ONE'S DETERGENT QUALITIES. IF YOUR USING ENOUGH OIL TO EVEN COME CLOSE TO USING THOSE QUALITIES YOUR OVER LUBRICATING YOUR GUN. ..........:up::up::up::up::up:

I mentioned the detergent qualities for cleaning the barrel of the SKS's and AK's, not the whole gun. The ATF will clean out the corrosive residue from the barrels as well as lubricate and protect the guns. It is a multi-purpose oil/cleaner/preservative, not unlike CLP only cheaper, but like any other chemical, should be applied with common sense and a little will do the job for lubricating and protecting.:up:

Trigger Man
01-25-2011, 01:08 PM
I've mixed 1/4 Mobil 1 full synthetic with 3/4 Hoppe's gun oil. Even my safe queens stay lubed 2-3 times longer than when using gun oil only. It's really amazing what a little synthetic can do.

GUNDOC454
01-28-2011, 03:24 PM
http://www.grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html[/quote]

read this site it will answer all your questions its right on:D:D:up::up:

we've talked about mixing before. the easiest thing to use if you don't want to us a quality made gun oil then use auto trans fluid. :up::up:

Old Spook
01-30-2011, 01:27 PM
Has anyone tried Royal Purple? If so, was it really better than the Mobil 1?

We're talking about weapons lube, not your cars;)

oldvet53
01-30-2011, 02:51 PM
i have been using Birchwood Casey moly dry lube on my 10 22 and tried it on my Bursa and it works well, i still use CLP on my M-4. but would be willing to try ATF on the pistol.

kn1080
03-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I use mobil 1 synthetic grease on my guns and it works fantastic!

If you enjoyed reading about "Mobil 1 synthetic/ gun lubrication???" here in the FamilyFriendsFirearms.com archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join FamilyFriendsFirearms.com today for the full version!